Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just curious for those post RNY surgery, how long did it take you to really feel glad of the decision to have surgery? It seems some regret it and some it’s just the pain, but a lot of posts seem to go really happy about six months out. I’m sure it takes awhile to adjust to the new lifestyle - how long did that take you?

Ten days till surgery!

On 11/01/2018 at 22:12, amcwhorter37421 said:

I’m 6 weeks out and still don’t feel like I made the best decision. I mean some days are better than others but I just want to feel like my old self again, mentally!
Thank you. That is what I was looking for. I know it’s going to be a tough transition. Trying to get mentally prepared for a no regrets attitude but it’s a BIG change. I keep looking at my “fat” pictures and try to think of all the positives but that only takes you so far! Good luck and hope you get to the no regret stage soon.

I’m just over 5 months out. I’d say it took me about 2-3 months. When others started to notice or family members told me how good I am doing.

I’m a month out from a year since my surgery date of 12/02/17. Several times over the last few weeks people I know have walked past me and not even recognized me. Tonight at work I got my first comment of “oh you look good now, you should not lose anymore weight.”
I feel so much different than I did almost a year ago. Sometimes I don’t even recognize myself.
I would say it took a good three or four months. Once I was able to really start moving easier, and noticing the changes...even small changes like being able to bend over and tie my shoes...momentum takes over.
Now I am to the point where the diet is pretty well second nature. I joined a gym and consciously try to exercise. Comments about my weight or how I look while well meaning are becoming annoying.
Do I feel like my old self? I don’t think so. I was very depressed and to the point I did not enjoy doing a lot of things and some things were hard to do physically at my weight. I feel like a better version of me and I hope it continues.
Best of luck!

8 hours ago, GettinSkinnywithit said:

Just curious for those post RNY surgery, how long did it take you to really feel glad of the decision to have surgery? It seems some regret it and some it’s just the pain, but a lot of posts seem to go really happy about six months out. I’m sure it takes awhile to adjust to the new lifestyle - how long did that take you?

Ten days till surgery!

The first 2 months were rough. The first 2 weeks were the worst for me, I didn't regret it, because I knew that I'd have some bizarre emotional attachments/hang ups/issues post op. Didn't make them suck any less, but they were expected. Things just kept getting better, as I was able to do more and more as the weight came off. Like a few days back, I ran. Like, RAN. I did 5 full minutes, non-stop at 5mph. I could have gone longer but I didn't stretch, because I didn't expect to be able to run like that... I couldn't stop the smile on my face as I was able to just keep running without foot, knee or back pain, without ending in huffing and puffing and all gross and sweaty, it was amazing.

All the "issues" I face day to day, pale to how happy I am with how things have turned out. I'm not at my overall dream goal, but I'm back to what I was 20 years ago. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Thanks all. Seems like first couple of weeks are rough then about three months out it turns to normal then six months out goes from good to great. I know all is different and I’m over analyzing but trying to prepare mentally as much as possible. I have zero fears of the surgery, but the following months scare the crap out of me!

I’m 3 1/2 weeks post op bypass and have not regretted it for a moment! I know I made the right decision.

On 11/02/2018 at 14:57, Lynnlovesthebeach said:

I’m 3 1/2 weeks post op bypass and have not regretted it for a moment! I know I made the right decision.

That’s encouraging. 😎

I’m six weeks post-op, and I would say that I experienced some regrets the first couple of weeks. I struggled to get my liquids in and felt pretty miserable. I wondered why I had done this to myself. But thankfully, those feelings were fleeting as I was taken off of my high blood pressure pills and my cpap machine by the third week. That helped me to see why this was exactly the right decision for me. The last few weeks have been pretty positive and I am feeling better and stronger each day. Best wishes to you on your journey.

On 11/02/2018 at 23:41, Remix107 said:

I’m six weeks post-op, and I would say that I experienced some regrets the first couple of weeks. I struggled to get my liquids in and felt pretty miserable. I wondered why I had done this to myself. But thankfully, those feelings were fleeting as I was taken off of my high blood pressure pills and my cpap machine by the third week. That helped me to see why this was exactly the right decision for me. The last few weeks have been pretty positive and I am feeling better and stronger each day. Best wishes to you on your journey.

@remix107 thank you for your response. Getting off statins and blood pressure meds that early would be a plus.

Hello,

I might not be the "norm", but wanted to share. Everyone is different. Personally, I had no regret and the surgery and diet, etc, did not mess with me. It was such an amazingly easy transition. I did the liquids for 2 weeks, the pureed for 2 weeks, soft for 2 weeks.... you get the idea. Not everyone's doctor has the exact same plan for the food stages. Over the last couple of years, I have seen that a lot of people have trouble with regretting their decision while going through the different food stages. Not the case for me, it was very easy. I'm not gloating or anything... lol... just sharing my experience because who knows, you could be lucky and have no issues! Wouldn't that be nice?

The main thing is to take it one day at a time. Don't think too much about how the surgery might change you mentally or emotionally. Yes, it's good to have a plan and be prepared, but don't dwell or worry about things that may not even bother you as you progress in your journey.

Good luck on your surgery.... you're almost there! :)

Well, I immediately felt pure gratitude and haven't stopped yet. I made a mental decision when I started this journey, that despite the wild ride, I would be happy and grateful for the opportunity to transform my life and realize the biggest chance to experience health and a normal weight lifestyle.

So I think that influenced my recovery to a very large degree. And I haven't stopped feeling happy and grateful--each day, I recommit to being happy and positive that day and doing constructive things to improve our lives and health. Every day. So all I have to worry about is that one day. I can do anything for 1 day. Before you know it, you look back and think...crap, I've put together 19months of this grateful transformation stuff!!! How cool is that, right?

Now--that does not mean, that there weren't bewildering times when I struggled and burst into tears or sobbed, for no reason. Seriously...I'd just be sitter there working at my desk, or doing something around the house, and I would think...OMG, I just feel like crying! So I would let myself cry until I was done! And I'd feel better afterwards! :D

My nephew who is a surgeon once told me, that the hormonal impact of gut surgery is very real. That even moving the guts around can cause a neuro hormone storm and make you experience transient depression. So for me, they gut and rearranged my guts (RNY), but even doing a VSG, they move things around and press on the guts. Plus anesthesia also can cause transient depression.

The best thing I do for myself is exercise hard every day. I at the very minimum walk for 1total hour per day and I also try to get outside in the fresh air and sunlight (if available). Also hydrating with clear Water helps tremendously!!!

Feel better soon!!!