Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not loosing weight and feeling helpless

I had surgery 10/3 and I thought I would have lost more weight by now, only 10lbs I don’t know what to do now I don’t even what to eat or drink Anything hoping this wasn’t pointless I will start working out this week and hope things Change

Talk to your nutritionist or bariatric team. They can help you sort out a good menu and give you some advice for getting things moving again.

The three week stall is so legendary and typical, it has several threads here if you search.

Hang in there and try to be patient. You're not alone and it will be ok.

Are you getting in 64 ounces of Fluid , like 8 8ounce glasses or 4. 16 ounce Water bottles? Are you getting Protein thats sufficent, Maybe 60 grams or a little more. Are your calories 600 to 800 daily? That's pretty a much smaller amount than an average daily diet. But,we are recovering from major surgeries, mine was almost,a month before yours and I'm still in the process. Matter of fact, I am losing weight like gang-busters, like 30-some pounds. I have been having problems with my new stomach,pouch. And I am basically living on broths, strained Soups, Protein Shakes, Vitamins minerals ulcer medicine and Zofran for my nausea. And I'm telling you just because that is the way it is.
Yeah I did go into this to lose lots of weight, but it is scary to do it that way. And I will hear,from Dietary/Nutrition at my Bariatric Hospital in the morning, because I am overdue for a new stage of diet but I can't progress for 2 more weeks per my surgeon. Orignal plan was to have me back to small portions of regular food by Thanksgiving and I don't,think it will happen. Surgeon has stretched my pouch opening twice, next time to try,again November 9th and I will be 9 and half weeks then! So you see I have a problem also. I'm not getting enough nutrition to do working out quite yet.

On 10/29/2018 at 19:42, Creekimp13 said:

Talk to your nutritionist or bariatric team. They can help you sort out a good menu and give you some advice for getting things moving again.

The three week stall is so legendary and typical, it has several threads here if you search.

Hang in there and try to be patient. You're not alone and it will be ok.

Thank you so much I will do that

On 10/29/2018 at 19:56, Frustr8 said:

Are you getting in 64 ounces of Fluid , like 8 8ounce glasses or 4. 16 ounce Water bottles? Are you getting Protein thats sufficent, Maybe 60 grams or a little more. Are your calories 600 to 800 daily? That's pretty a much smaller amount than an average daily diet. But,we are recovering from major surgeries, mine was almost,a month before yours and I'm still in the process. Matter of fact, I am losing weight like gang-busters, like 30-some pounds. I have been having problems with my new stomach,pouch. And I am basically living on broths, strained Soups, Protein Shakes, Vitamins minerals ulcer medicine and Zofran for my nausea. And I'm telling you just because that is the way it is.

Yeah I did go into this to lose lots of weight, but it is scary to do it that way. And I will hear,from Dietary/Nutrition at my Bariatric Hospital in the morning, because I am overdue for a new stage of diet but I can't progress for 2 more weeks per my surgeon. Orignal plan was to have me back to small portions of regular food by Thanksgiving and I don't,think it will happen. Surgeon has stretched my pouch opening twice, next time to try,again November 9th and I will be 9 and half weeks then! So you see I have a problem also. I'm not getting enough nutrition to do working out quite yet.
I’m not getting enough of both but I know I’m not eating or drinking no where near 800 calories a day but I will see

Try (very hard) to be patient, follow your plan closely and trust that you are doing well.

Some of us are slow losers but it all adds up eventually! Promise!

Check in with your team when you have major roadblocks.

On 10/29/2018 at 20:28, GreenTealael said:

Try (very hard) to be patient, follow your plan closely and trust that you are doing well.

Some of us are slow losers but it all adds up eventually! Promise!

Check in with your team when you have major roadblocks.

Thank you love

@Rj’s mommyI'm 6 days behind you and feel exactly the same way. I weighed myself this morning and have lost 11 lbs since surgery. To me that doesn't seem like much but then I remind myself, when was the last time I lost 11 lbs in 3 weeks? Probably never! I'm still working on trying to meet my Protein and Fluid requirements. I know I certainly don't get in enough calories but I'm working on it. I can have soft foods now but frankly I can't seem to make myself eat anything. I have no appetite and nothing looks good. I'm working on that too. I think if we look at this as a marathon and not a sprint we will both be happy with our results in the end! Good luck...we can do this!

I know how you feel. I lose in weird increments. I try ask myself when the last time was I actually lost weight. Ten pounds doesn't sound like a lot but try carrying a ten pound bag of potatoes with you all day. Plus, your body is in shock - you have really been through an ordeal. Be good to yourself. I promise your body will catch up eventually. It just needs time to get settled after such a major procedure. You got this and everything will be great!!!!

I am 10 weeks post op and my weight loss has been slower than a turtle. But please remember, you did not gain this weight overnight and these surgeries are not miracle workers. They are tools that we have opted to get to help us lose weight. The weight loss process still lies in our hands. We are responsible for ensuring we follow and maintain a healthy diet and get adequate Fluid / Water intake (upwards of 100+ oz per day) including Protein intake (minimum 60 oz per day or whatever set forth by your surgeon and nutrition team.

I've shared the following photo several times on many forums throughout BP - and it's a great reminder that we are still very early into this and our weight loss thus far is on track for the "average" person.

Remember (as often I am reminded) it's a marathon, not a sprint race. The longer we continue with a slower weight loss, the longer it will remain off (assuming we follow the plan given to us).

are-you-wondering-what-to-expect-after-weight-loss-surgery-this-is-an-estimate-of-expected-the-gastric-sleeve-procedure-chart.jpg

I don't think that 10 pounds in 3 weeks is bad at all. I've lost 1 pound in the last 3 weeks (I'm thinking my issue is a new medicine that I was on), but I would be excited to lose 10 pounds in 3 weeks. Keep your chin up, and keep doing what your doctor advises; the weight will continue to come off.

If you want. Download carb manager app. Not just for carbs. It has been a great help to watch calories etc. I cooked cabbage cauliflower and onions with a couple small potatoes and a cup of low salt bullion. I pureed it and have it for meals. Around a half cup . You can add a little chicken as long as you puree it. I used can chicken packed in Water . Weight loss started going better. At the store they have a very hard bread by wasa. I did not believe the nutritionists but I took one half slice with a little real butter and had it with my Soup. Everyone reacts differently. Make your own Soups but puree them for a couple of weeks. Stay under 800 calories and watch the weight pour off right now I am one week post op. The soup really satisfies. Try a teaspoon of creamy Peanut Butter every day or like me every other to help Protein . I am going to make chowder with bacon and potatoes with clams then puree it. I'm told it will do great. Keep carbs under 17. Regards Anna