Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Forbes: Why high protein diets may be linked to Cancer

10 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

Ah no..not doxing, sharing a publicly advertised site where the owner (Fluffy) makes money plugging the Keto diet.

Illustrating a possible explanation for her fanatical obsession with everything I post.

Also interesting...her bio says she's been eating a high Protein low carb diet for 14 years.

When was your cancer diagnosis, Fluffy? A few years ago, you say?

Hmmmmm....

LOL, I don't "actively" do anything for the site. It simply exists from its creation date. And I no longer post to the blog. But absolutely, do I believe in the ketogenic lifestyle and am very happy it helps people? Oh yes! I live it, just now days, it is adjusted for my RNY surgery and lifestyle. And I seem to remember gifting you copies (FREE) I might add, of each of my cook books. God, maybe you should read some of them, cuz maybe then you wouldn't still look so sick and old--and shall I call it? Fluffy. You still look VERY fluffy, friend. :)

And here you go again blaming me for the second time of giving myself cancer. What kind of woman are you? What kind of woman is so ruthless that you blame another woman for her breast cancer? LOL. Jesus Mary and Joseph.

I already explained the genesis of my hormone positive fat mediated breast cancer. Thanks. And that came from my oncologist, not some woman masquerading as a medically educated person trying to pound down bad science and confuse all of the new bariatric patients--advising against eating to their team's plans, and one who is totally without morals that she would dare to accuse another woman of giving themselves breast cancer.

You are a nasty, nasty, nasty woman. And yes, that is personal. I won't take it any further and will leave it for everyone to see--that you accuse people of giving themselves metastatic diseases and other horrible diseases such as kidney disease.

Edited by FluffyChix

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2014/03/04/the-protein-puzzle-meat-and-dairy-may-significantly-increase-cancer-risk/#749e74c058b7

This research describes a "high Protein diet" as being a diet with 20% of total calories coming from protein. Since most bariatric patients fit this profile, it is worth reviewing and discussing with your doctor. This is particularly important as you move to maintenance.

Why High-Protein Diets May Be Linked To Cancer Risk

Despite the popularity of protein-rich diets like Atkins and Paleo, new research suggests that it may be wise to steer the opposite way, especially when it comes to cancer risk. In the new study, middle-aged people who ate protein-heavy diets had a markedly increased risk of dying from cancer compared to their low-protein counterparts. But, as always, there are caveats: Protein from animal sources – meat and dairy – was what largely produced the risk, whereas plant-derived Proteins seemed to be “safer.” And the rules seem to be different for people over the age of 65.

So what are we to do?

"There's a misconception that because we all eat, understanding nutrition is simple,” said study author Valter Longo, director of the Longevity Institute at the University of Southern California. “But the question is not whether a certain diet allows you to do well for three days, but can it help you survive to be 100?"

In the new study, the team followed over 6,300 adults over the age of 50, to see what effect high-, medium-, and low-protein diets had on longevity. A high-protein diet was defined as 20% of one’s daily calories coming from protein, a moderate-protein diet is made up of 10-19% calories from protein, and a low-protein diet consists of less than 10% protein. People in the study ate, on average, 16% protein, with two-thirds coming from animal sources – pretty typical of an American diet, the authors say.

The findings were intriguing: People from ages 50-65 who ate high-protein diets were four times more likely to die of cancer – this is in the ballpark of smoking risk, say the authors – compared to people who ate low-protein diets. Even those who ate moderate-protein diets were three times as likely to die from cancer. And people who ate high-protein diets were 75% more likely to die from any cause, including three times as likely to die from diabetes. The team calculated that reducing protein intake from moderate to low would reduce the risk of death by 21%.

Interestingly, when the source of the protein was taken into consideration, things changed a bit. When animal-derived sources taken out of the mix, the mortality risk was significantly reduced: In other words, plant-based protein did not seem to present the same kind of problem as protein from animal sources."The majority of Americans are eating about twice as much proteins as they should, and it seems that the best change would be to lower the daily intake of all proteins but especially animal-derived proteins," said Longo. "But don't get extreme in cutting out protein; you can go from protected to malnourished very quickly."

Why the protein-cancer connection? Protein intake influences the levels of the growth hormone IGF-I, which not only affects the growth of healthy cells, but can also encourage cancer cell growth. In fact, in the current study, the team found that for every 10 ng/ml increase in IGF-I, people who ate high-protein diets were 9% more likely to die from cancer than those on a low-protein diet.

This growth hormone mechanism seems to be the reason that calorie-restricted diets have been shown to increase longevity in certain species, including, possibly, humans.

But again, there are more caveats. IGF-I levels decline over the years, especially after age 65, which is part of the reason that people lose muscle tone and become frailer with age. And the current study bore this out, too: When the team looked at people above the age of 65, people who ate more protein had a reduced risk of death.

The protein issue is therefore complex, and will require some more research.

But the recommendations arising from the current study, says Longo, line up with those from the World Health Organization and the Institute of Medicine. Longo tells me that generally people should stick with “plant based proteins and/or stay as close as possible to 0.36 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day. This is about 54 grams of protein per day for a 150-pound person… However, going lower than that can be detrimental.”

So, it may be wise to watch your protein intake, at least in middle age. And at any age, eating a plant-based diet is probably smart, as study after study shows the near-indisputable health benefits of doing so.

"Almost everyone is going to have a cancer cell or pre-cancer cell in them at some point,” says Longo. “The question is: Does it progress? Turns out one of the major factors in determining if it does is protein intake."

For the bariatric patients and potential bariatric patients reading the posters article. Please do your own research and fact check with your medical team about your specific diet plan.

@Creekimp13 eats the same amount of Protein as any other bariatric patient. She can agree, a bariatric diet is not high protein. It's also not 100% animal protein.

• You will not be eating 100% protein (exception first out Protein Shakes while you heal from surgery)
  • You will progres to a variety of other foods.
  • Not all of your protein comes from animal sources
  • You will be adding Beans and fruits and vegetables as you progress out from surgery
  • No one is on a NO carb diet. They will come from sources approved on your plan.

I will not respond to anymore of this thread. Its intent is clickbait, attention seeking and to cause drama.

Edited by skinnylife

The Protein question is a very complex one and likely will remain that way because higher intake controls weight so well. And we are Sinclair's Jungle culture personified.

I remember asking the forum awhile ago about optimal intake and erring on the side of less. I got mixed reviews. I did a ton of research none of which would properly load on the mobile platform (of course) but what I decide from it is was that I would flex in and out of optimal range because I wasn't convinced I needed to always have the most. I have debated this with my team too.

But as always knowledge is power and talk every thing out with your team.

I also found a study a while back that said plant protein sources were bioavailable and absorb differently in the intestines. I'll see if I can find it again.

Most people here are getting at least 20% of their calories from protein....much of it animal Protein, particularly all the whey in protein supplements.

In this research, a diet comprised of 20%+ protein was associated with these bad outcomes. Particularly if nearly all protein is coming from animal sources.

I'm not suggesting anyone go against their doctor's advice. It's important to work with your dietitian and meeting early protein goals is essential no matter how you have to do it.

I'm suggesting that as we move to maintenance, it is extremely important to consider the benefit of plant-protein rich carbs, nuts, Beans, etc.

Eating a diet with a high percentage of animal protein LONG TERM....is potentially moving from the frying pan (obesity) into the fire (cancer).

We work too hard to get healthy. We deserve long healthy lives after winning this battle:)

Please Please everyone, follow your doctor's and RDs plan for your pre-op and post-op lifestyle that is appropriate to your particular level of healing, and also, please do your own research!

Just to clarify the OP's "facts" for all bariatric patients:

Here is the actual study that this inflammatory article was written from. https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/fulltext/S1550-4131(14)00062-X

The ACTUAL study was an association study (and association can not prove causality) where the people were NOT like bariatric patients. They had normal stomachs, averaged 1853 cals per day and were eating a mixed diet of HIGH CARBS and higher-erish fat.

They were able to eat the following macros:

1853 Calories per Day on Average=the studied group of participants total caloric load each day:

16% Protein (average "normal diet composition" from the ADA is somewhere around 15% of the diet from protein) - about 74g of protein per day. (this is NOT a high protein study)

Other macronutrients consumed each day:

51% carbohydrate (this is a high carbohydrate study)

33% fat (this is a study with the fat too high for people consuming 51% of their diet as glucose/carb burners)

Edited by FluffyChix

Einstein's definition of insanity: repeating the same behavior over and over expecting different results.

PhD post doc from UCLA

Professor at the USC Davis School of Gerontology with a joint appointment in the department of Biological Sciences as well as serving as the director of the USC Longevity Institute.

Dr. Longo is an impressive guy.

https://news.usc.edu/135551/fasting-aging-dieting-and-when-you-should-eat-valter-longo/

11 minutes ago, BuzzVSG said:

Einstein's definition of insanity: repeating the same behavior over and over expecting different results.

I'm not sure Einstein actually said that, Buzz, but your point is heartfelt.

Personally, I have a different strategy this time around. I have blocked Mizz and Fluffy and intend to concentrate on simply sharing studies I find of value with those interested in reading them. Good advice from those of you who have encouraged me to do this.

Those who decide to stop by purely to scoff and attempt to control the narrative can simply bump my posts. Or, they can make their own posts.

Adults can make up their own minds.

Win-win.

It's all good:)

Edited by Creekimp13

I like your style! As a Master's prepared Critical Care / ER Nurse and Acute Care Educator and Nursing author (and gastric sleeve post=op patient), I value your posts and your getting sound, reliable studies posted! Thank you, Again,

Eliz, MS, BSN, RN