Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about first week post Surgery

So I've had my gastric sleeve surgery here in the States, and now its my wife's turn as she is going to TJ to get her surgery. Which is cool with me, its all we can afford.. and frankly I wish I found out about this when it was my chance.. so much cheaper.

Anyhow....

We finally got all the information from the plan and what makes zero sense to me, is the first week, she can't drink Protein? She's supposed to survive on Clear Liquids only? Like Crystal light and sugar free Gatorade? I find this weird, as after my surgery (and various others in my friends circle who had the exact same surgery) all were drinking Premier Protein or some other form of protein day 2. I remember myself struggling to drink a small shot glass of Protein like every so often during the day. I remember the nurse at the hospital telling me and my wife, "Make sure he drinks a (shows shot glass thing) of protein and follow the paperwork about what's allowed. See your surgeon in a week for a follow up".

Can anyone confirm this who's went through this? We are concerned about this.

thanks!

Edited by Lord Nikon

1 hour ago, Lord Nikon said:

So I've had my gastric sleeve surgery here in the States, and now its my wife's turn as she is going to TJ to get her surgery. Which is cool with me, its all we can afford.. and frankly I wish I found out about this when it was my chance.. so much cheaper.

Anyhow....

We finally got all the information from the plan and what makes zero sense to me, is the first week, she can't drink Protein? She's supposed to survive on Clear Liquids only? Like Crystal light and sugar free Gatorade? I find this weird, as after my surgery (and various others in my friends circle who had the exact same surgery) all were drinking Premier Protein or some other form of Protein day 2. I remember myself struggling to drink a small shot glass of Protein like every so often during the day. I remember the nurse at the hospital telling me and my wife, "Make sure he drinks a (shows shot glass thing) of protein and follow the paperwork about what's allowed. See your surgeon in a week for a follow up".

Can anyone confirm this who's went through this? We are concerned about this.

thanks!

If it says clears, there *ARE* clear protein options. Sounds odd or a "lost in translation" situation maybe. But (in my not a doctor opinion)yes, she'll want to make sure she's ingesting protein

Okay. Clear proteins.. got it.. but why isn’t regular liquid Proteins allowed. I was able to have it as well as my friends (all different surgeons as well).

Is it the special procedure they use in TJ that’s different then in the states?

4 hours ago, Lord Nikon said:

Okay. Clear proteins.. got it.. but why isn’t regular liquid Proteins allowed. I was able to have it as well as my friends (all different surgeons as well).

You may have to ask the surgeon why his requirements are different. We are not surgeons and cannot answer the “why” of the differences in bariatric programs/preferences. We can only speak of our own experience, similar to your friends that were able to drink regular Protein Shakes.

I had mine in TJ also. I got the chicken Soup Protein packets from BarPal store and took them with me. Actually they were a lifesaver. I got chicken broth and orange popsicles from the hotel, but even though I could only ingest tiny amounts of anything at one time (of course) it did not feel satiating. Also the broth was very bland (as broths tend to be, lol, but also what they want for you immediately post-op) - but mixing half a packet of the protein chicken soup mix in with my broth added just a tad more flavor and helped me feel more satisfied.

There's no way I could have drank any type of Protein Drink until after I got home (6 days post-op was my 1st try) so am glad that wasn't an immediate requirement, but do feel the broth mix helped with the extra energy needed for traveling back to Philadelphia. It wasn't until a few weeks after my surgery when going through my papers for the thousandth time that I even realized my facility specified no Protein Shakes for any amount of time right after (believe it or not, I don't remember the actual timeframe recommended now after 10 months - I thought I would never forget any of it!). I'm sure it wasn't as long as 2 weeks though. Definitely speak to them as far as reasoning as we never know for sure.

Not sure where she's having hers done, but my facility had an arrangement with our hotel and they shuttled us back and forth for swallow test, etc. in the days following and were always happy to stop at a local market or pharmacy for supplies for patients or their loved ones. I remember several people buying electrolyte flavored (sugar free) drinks and I'm pretty sure they had some of the flavored protein waters as well. This is big business down there so the local shops are pretty good with supplying what you need. I def recommend the flavor packets for the chicken broth though. They are light and easy to fit in a purse or carry on and are much better than trying to take liquids. I wish I had taken a few more actually. Best of luck to her! I had a great experience and hope she does too :)

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:09 PM, Matt Z said:

the first week, she can't drink Protein? She's supposed to survive on Clear Liquids only? Like Crystal light and sugar free Gatorade?

Sorry, just remembered this: When I was discharged, the nurse told me to get myself some juice from the store or hotel - like Regular Juice - and Water it down some. She said, "Everyone needs some sugar for energy, etc, and your body is trying to recover from major surgery. Don't overdo it, and don't get anything junky - make sure it is 100% juice." I got 100% apple juice bottles from the hotel store and OMG, even watered down they helped So Much! Was honestly the best part of my day each day besides the popsicles! I would have part of it in the morning before meds and same in the evening. I am prone to stomach issues and have not thrown up once at any point since surgery. I am positive the diluted apple juice helped my stomach handle the meds the first few days. Obviously I don't recommend this if your doctor or nutritionist don't think it's ok, but I guess something to remember if she is feeling too weak or nauseous. It might help.

On 10/29/2018 at 12:27 PM, Lord Nikon said:

With how variable these pre and post op diets are, it seems that it's pretty much based on the discretion of the surgeon, nutritionist or hospital. That said, it doesn't mean things are set in stone, if you have questions or concerns, be sure to voice them, and keep voicing them or asking your questions until you get the answer that resolves that concern. Do not be afraid to not know something or to think something is wrong... it could be wrong. Doctors are people too, and they do make mistakes. Things do get mixed up, and add in the translation portion of this process and that's another potential issue maker.

Ask 100 WLS patients what their post op requirements were, and I'd be willing to bet you get close to, if not, 100 different replies.

Good replies here and thanks for everyone telling me their experiences with the surgery. I guess I will have to go with what @Matt Z said and everyone's experience is different. I just found it odd that everyone that's had surgery here, including myself was drinking Protein (such premiere protein) the very same day or the next day after surgery and everyone from TJ/Mex are all told they shouldn't be drinking them, but using clear Proteins.

Also we do plan on asking these very questions, but wanted to ask here because the coordinator who is setting up this whole thing only said, "I don't know, just do what the paperwork says" -- Sorry I don't find that acceptable and while I get it, she's a coordinator, she can address it better or say "let me find out" or even, "I am not sure, but please bring this up with your surgeon".

thanks everyone!

You had surgery 2 years ago, it's very possible that as time goes on...new and more innovative techniques are introduced. Two years ago that may have been the norm. I can see why you're concerned, trust the process. She will be fine. Just think in 2 years from now, they may allow beer after surgery!! lol...jk

9 hours ago, MONA H. said:

You had surgery 2 years ago, it's very possible that as time goes on...new and more innovative techniques are introduced. Two years ago that may have been the norm. I can see why you're concerned, trust the process. She will be fine. Just think in 2 years from now, they may allow beer after surgery!! lol...jk

I’m two years out and I can drink lite beer. I don’t care for beer, never have liked it much but I can drink it. I can also drink carbonated drinks, my surgeon was fine with it, but I wasn’t allowed to drink any carbonation until a year was past. I drink Coke Zero as a treat when I go out, doesn’t bother me at all and doesn’t expand your stomach at all. Everyone is different and every doctor is different I guess so you’re right.