Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Health after sleeve??

I have a question for those who have had Bariatric Surgery. How is your health compared to what it was before? I know many people have major health concern before surgery and they are cleared up once the weight is lost. But has anyone’s health declined? Do you catch the “common cold” more often? Are you on different medications? I’m very curious about this, I’ve heard conflicting arguments.

And I would be interested in an Equivalent one on The RNY Bypass side. I am only 7+ weeks out, but have had a cold sore flare-up, something very out of the ordinary for me. Perhaps when I progress toward solid foods things will be better.😥😍😪

Its interesting convo. I have read that some of auto immune issues like arthritis, thyroid, etc. have decreased after WLS. I'm sure part is that some of the foods can trigger our inflammation response . I don't know if we would be more susceptible to getting infections viral like the common cold or bacterial after surgery. We are always in contact with organisms but doesn't mean we would get infected. But its interesting like when the body is weak and traumatized immediately after surgery, Im sure it can trigger coldsore or even canker sores but i can't imagine we would get more colds than normal but again I'm no doctor and I haven't had my surgery yet to compare

Edited by harmony love

Harmony Love when you are finished with your upcoming surgery and make your way down Victory Lane towards the Losers Bench, look for a strawberry Red-Blonde,person waving furiously, and it will be ME! Hardly can wait to welcome YOU in, you will be an asset to us all!😝🎃💰😝

I've read about a number of people bruising more easily (even with solid labs).

Some people have dental problems, too.

I'm still in my first month post-op, so I don't know. I got the surgery to combat autoimmune arthritis--WLS clears it up for up to 50% of people who get it--but it's too soon to know if it'll do that for me. Apparently arthritis isn't like diabetes, which sometimes clears up immediately post-op; studies seem to run for six months to a couple of years, on my particular type of arthritis. So I am trying to wait patiently, to see if I'm one of the lucky ones.

The only things I know of that tend to resolve pretty rapidly with the surgery are diabetes and sleep apnea. I was not diabetic, but I was borderline pre-diabetic. I'm interested to see how my next full lab comes back.

Nobody told me, so I'm still using it, don't meet with that doctor until, January 2019.

Surgery of any kind generally triggers a flare up of cold sores for me, as does going to the dentist.

My high BP went down, had to come off pills but then it went up again. Mine seems to be genetic rather than weight related

My health hasn't been this good since my 20's. I feel amazing. My strength and stamina shock me.

One problem that was addressed by my surgery that was unexpected....was discovering and correcting a Vitamin D deficiency. I think the Multivitamins shore up nutritional gaps and support good immune function.

I have not had so much as a cold since my surgery almost a year ago. I have not had any coughs or infections. I did have my flu shot both last year and this year...which might have helped.

Dental-wise, my teeth have been perfect. Had them cleaned twice since surgery and both times had a clean dental bill of health. This was of particular concern to me....because I had a dental implant two years ago with a bone graft and was scared it could fail. Nope...it's doing great. No issues at all.

The conditions that have improved since my weight loss and new diet:

No longer pre-diabetic.

No longer have hypertension.

No longer have breathing issues at night.

No longer have acid reflux.

No longer have intermittent hemorrhoids or anal fissure (ouch!)..it's GONE:) My anus is a happy healthy camper. I know this is gross, but I want to offer hope to the afflicted. LOL.

No longer have obesity related skin rashes. (got them in my groin/thigh crease sometimes and it bothered me)

No longer have leg edema! At all! You can see the tendons on top of my feet and I LOVE them! Can also wear normal sized tall boots instead of the wide calf ones:)

No longer get warts on my toes. I think this was related to my leg edema.

I used to get sore throats constantly. Several times a year. Have not had one since weight loss.

No longer have chronic loose stool. Dietary changes fixed this one completely. Poo is textbook.

I have a much better libido:)

I have fewer hormonal break-outs.

Arthritis still stinks...but is MUCH better. No more daily pain meds.

My energy is through the roof.

Only negatives I can think of....

Psychologically, I wasn't really prepared to have a lifelong coping mechanism just disappear....it was surprisingly unpleasant to work through that. Didn't see that coming!

Lost about half my hair. Good thing my hair is crazy thick! It's growing back:)

Edited by Creekimp13

9 hours ago, vrice said:

I have a question for those who have had Bariatric Surgery. How is your health compared to what it was before? I know many people have major health concern before surgery and they are cleared up once the weight is lost. But has anyone’s health declined? Do you catch the “common cold” more often? Are you on different medications? I’m very curious about this, I’ve heard conflicting arguments.

I was in a health crisis before surgery. Diabetes out of control. I was in ICU for eight days with diabetic ketoacidosis. My internal organs systematically shutdown, My heart stopped and they brought me back. I don't take this second chance in life for granted.

My health is drastically better since surgery and weight loss.

• Type one diabetic issues are well controlled.
  • No high blood pressure or cholesterol
  • No cpap machine
  • I have energy and I'm not out of breath.
  • I feel younger
  • Off many medications

Colds and dental issues - No changes from pre surgery

Bruising - Fat used to insulate my body from bruising. Now capillaries and veins are closer to the skin's surface. My age is also a factor. yikes! I will be 50 in six days.

Obesity related issues and diseases will catch up to you with over time. Surgery as a treatment option saved my life.

5 hours ago, skinnylife said:

I was in a health crisis before surgery. Diabetes out of control. I was in ICU for eight days with diabetic ketoacidosis. My internal organs systematically shutdown, My heart stopped and they brought me back. I don't take this second chance in life for granted.

My health is drastically better since surgery and weight loss.

• Type one diabetic issues are well controlled.
  • No high blood pressure or cholesterol
  • No cpap machine
  • I have energy and I'm not out of breath.
  • I feel younger
  • Off many medications

Colds and dental issues - No changes from pre surgery

Bruising - Fat used to insulate my body from bruising. Now capillaries and veins are closer to the skin's surface. My age is also a factor. yikes! I will be 50 in six days.

Obesity related issues and diseases will catch up to you with over time. Surgery as a treatment option saved my life.

I think most people would be inclined to leave this community and join the ranks of the healthy and physically fit at your stage in the game. Kudos to you for sticking around 3 1/2 years out and helping put things into perspective for the beginners like myself. :)

1 hour ago, Ed_NW said:

I think most people would be inclined to leave this community and join the ranks of the healthy and physically fit at your stage in the game. Kudos to you for sticking around 3 1/2 years out and helping put things into perspective for the beginners like myself. :)

Congrats on your surgery!

I've been on and off this site. I came back after a 16 pound gain and worked it back to my maintaining weight. Some days it's like watching a train wreck in here. But most people are supportive.

Health was my main issue to have surgery. I want to be around for family.

I have to say for me it's s mixed bag, but mostly positive. I would still do it again in a heartbeat. I didn't have too many serious weight related issues but did have high blood pressure that was controlled with medication, anxiety and I snored. I didn't have as much energy as I would have liked.

Post surgery I was able to go off all medication and my blood pressure is normal and I no longer snore. My energy and ability to be more active is infinitely better.

The issues I have had and I'm seven years post op and maintained my loss. I'm also now 46.

I have struggled most seriously with Iron deficiency and iron deficient anemia. I had to habe iron infusions and cannot tolerate or seem to absorb iron well. They said that will likely be something I deal with for life. I also struggle with hypoglycemia since surgery. Both can be controlled. I still get cold constantly but overall feel so much better.

Even though I am currently technically underweight 112 5'6 right now I do bit get sick easily or struggle with anything other than the anemia.

Again I would do this in a second and couldn't be happier.

Best wishes on your journey!

About seven months out and I still get sick about the same amount. I think my teeth (which already had issues) are more vulnerable to existing weakness, like they get worse faster, so I'll have to go to the dentist more often. Still get post-nasal drip after a cold and have to knock it out with Flonase, just got the flu shot with no known after-effect. May be bruising more quickly, but then again I may just be turning into my mom.

I was the only one who got Montezuma's Revenge while in Mexico last week, not that I think that had much to do with VSG - bacteria is bacteria. But VSG did probably make it a little harder to bounce back from that, largely because I was just unable to hydrate myself as quickly as before. On a sensitive stomach it was hard to take in anything, and I was just totally exhausted, so staying alert enough to gradually keep sipping gatorade was awful.