Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Puppy (Help)

Hey all, I've recently bought a new puppy and my depression and suicidal thoughts are gone! I love Bella so very much. When I wake I take care to watch her every move first thing is Breakfast 1 tablespoon, and Water 1 tablespoon. Then right away I gently coax her outside on our back deck she's pooped a couple of times out on the deck I've left the poops and point to them in an upbeat voice with 'poop outside' when she makes a mess inside poop or pee I don't yell at her I just clean it up without preamble. She knows that I'm not pleased.

My question is how do I get her to use the bathroom outside when it's cold? She shivers and comes back to me, so I hold her and coax her gently say 'poop outside Bella' I am truly trying my best she eats on a schedule 4 times a day right now because she is so small and it's just a tablespoon of water and food. I then will right away take up her food and water when she is done eating.

I will have a job soon, and will have her in a crate in the kitchen I'm not trying to force her into the crate but explore it. Long process, (I don't mind) I might just get baby gates and put them in the kitchen I don't want her to mess inside but will have little choice once I start working. It's not a crazy shift but 7:30 am to 3:30 pm M-F right away coming home and walking her feeding her etc. same as now just with me around less during the day.

Any tips and advice would be great, she'll get it and is getting it. It's just staying consistent and I'm doing all I know to do. 😟

Edited by Hannah83

33 minutes ago, Hannah83 said:

Hey all, I've recently bought a new puppy and my depression and suicidal thoughts are gone! I love Bella so very much. When I wake I take care to watch her every move first thing is Breakfast 1 tablespoon, and Water 1 tablespoon. Then right away I gently coax her outside on our back deck she's pooped a couple of times out on the deck I've left the poops and point to them in an upbeat voice with 'poop outside' when she makes a mess inside poop or pee I don't yell at her I just clean it up without preamble. She knows that I'm not pleased.

My question is how do I get her to use the bathroom outside when it's cold? She shivers and comes back to me, so I hold her and coax her gently say 'poop outside Bella' I am truly trying my best she eats on a schedule 4 times a day right now because she is so small and it's just a tablespoon of Water and food. I then will right away take up her food and water when she is done eating.

I will have a job soon, and will have her in a crate in the kitchen I'm not trying to force her into the crate but explore it. Long process, (I don't mind) I might just get baby gates and put them in the kitchen I don't want her to mess inside but will have little choice once I start working. It's not a crazy shift but 7:30 am to 3:30 pm M-F right away coming home and walking her feeding her etc. same as now just with me around less during the day.

Any tips and advice would be great, she'll get it and is getting it. It's just staying consistent and I'm doing all I know to do. 😟

Best advice is to go out with her when you are trying to show here where to go, lead her to the area of the yard that'll be ok for her to use all the time. Just keep doing that and in a few, she'll do it on her own. You could also get her a vest if it's really cold.

Yup, I lead her when I am outside with her, a vest is a good idea. Thanks.

Congrats on doing something that helps with your depression. My dogs add to my anxiety and stress because they are high maintenance. but my cats soothe me. But as far as getting her to potty when it's cold... First, what kind of dog is she? If she has short hair, you could get her a sweater for her to have for warmth. The type of dog she is also matters when it comes to ease of potty training. Some dogs are easier to train and others are not. Using a reward for her when she potties helps that positive reinforcement. After she does the deed outside, give a treat and tell her good girl. When we leave my dogs outside when we leave the house, as soon as we come home and let our dogs in, they run into the kitchen, sit down and look at me waiting for a treat.

I don’t really have any tips but just wanted to say congratulations.

I love my pets and find them to be a joy. Nothing is as comforting as hugging my fluffy friends!

Good luck with Bella!

Put her lead on put your jacket on and take her outside and wait until she has done her business. They soon get the hang of it .

You can also try clicker training. In this scenario, you take her outside and walk around until she goes. Then quickly say the command word (mine is “hurry up”, my childhood dog we used “atta girl”), click, and give a very small treat and praise, then go back inside.

Look up clicker training to get a better idea of how it works, there’s an actual process. You phase bits out so eventually all that’s left is the command and praise. You can use the clicker for all sorts of training, I highly recommend it - my dog is pretty eager to please to start with, but other people think she’s a saint and it’s mostly down to rigorous clicker training when she was a puppy.

And Hannah,she is such a sweetie pie. Look at that face. I want to do Good, Mama Hannah, can you help me? I really want you,to 💞me!

Bella passed away this past Friday afternoon at 1:30 PM. She choked on her puppy food as I was watching her eat, I frantically drove to the closest animal hospital and she was limp when I rushed in and asked for help.

They did CPR 4 times and a shot of adrenaline to her heart but was gone.

I was and still am a wreck. She was only 10 weeks old, should have probably stayed with her mom for 3 months looking back.

I did all I could do, and my mental health has taken a nose dive. I'm not sure why things like this happen, but they do.

I did all I possibly could. (I just said that)

Ironically I'm not hungry or even thinking about food at all. I just want Bella back in my arms poop breath and all.

Thank you all for your kind and thoughtful responses I appreciate it. 😢

Yes, but you were and are an excellent dog- mommy. This couldn't have been predicted, and for the short time you had, you loved each other. Treasure the memories! There may be a successor to Bella someday but heal your heart first, I hate to know you are sad, I have read andvreread all your posts and you're one I always look for. Sending a hug to you.👼🐶

That is so sad

I'm sorry for the late of your sweet Bella. It's so hard to lose a pet. Please take care of yourself. I hope that you can get another little friend as they bring such joy. Consider looking at your local shelters because there are so many who need lotsa love, like you gave Bella. [emoji252]

Im so sorry for your loss, how heartbreaking! I hope you are taking care of yourself!