Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Make DS public or not?

Hi there! I'm wanting to hear from the DS'ers who have made their DS public. Do you wish you hadn't? Fb or Instagram? What has been your experience? I'm trying to decide how I want to handle this. Surgery is set for this Monday 10/29. Part of me wants to make it public bc I'd like encouragement but another part of me don't bc I don't want ppl scrutinizing everything I eat.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m a bypass patient but my two cents is keep it to yourself. Tell only those that may need to know...spouse, etc.

Once you disclose the information you cannot untell people.

Lots of judgement still surrounds weight loss surgery.

There are plenty of people to follow on YouTube, instagram, etc. already.

Think long and hard.

You may regret telling people, but rarely will you hear someone say they regretted keeping it to themselves.

I had my sleeve surgery on 10/10 and while I didn’t post it on Facebook, I did tell my family, friends and coworkers. I found that most everyone has been very positive and supportive. But that’s just me - I’m very open about things. I had IVF with both of my kids and although some people don’t share things like that, I told everyone! Just do what feels right for YOU! Good luck!

I’m a bypass patient but my two cents is keep it to yourself. Tell only those that may need to know...spouse, etc.
Once you disclose the information you cannot untell people.
Lots of judgement still surrounds weight loss surgery.
There are plenty of people to follow on YouTube, instagram, etc. already.
Think long and hard.
You may regret telling people, but rarely will you hear someone say they regretted keeping it to themselves.

Thank you for your insight!

I had my sleeve surgery on 10/10 and while I didn’t post it on Facebook, I did tell my family, friends and coworkers. I found that most everyone has been very positive and supportive. But that’s just me - I’m very open about things. I had IVF with both of my kids and although some people don’t share things like that, I told everyone! Just do what feels right for YOU! Good luck!
Thank you for your input and encouragement.

Judging by the length of time that you've been a member on this forum and have zero stats to share with people going through the same experience, I would say you are better off not opening yourself up like that. Some people are strong when it comes to the judgement of their peers and to some it causes great anxiety.

Judging by the length of time that you've been a member on this forum and have zero stats to share with people going through the same experience, I would say you are better off not opening yourself up like that. Some people are strong when it comes to the judgement of their peers and to some it causes great anxiety.
Wow that's kinda' snarky of you. I did put my stats in my info area. I use this page on my phone and for some reason my phone won't let me input the stats in the designated area.

1 minute ago, joycie4smiles said:

Wow that's kinda' snarky of you. I did put my stats in my info area. I use this page on my phone and for some reason my phone won't let me input the stats in the designated area.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as snarky. I just looked at your profile and didn't see any info and assumed you were a private kind of person. My bad. :)

I like opening up on forums like this but don't like sharing personal details about my life to people outside of the WLS community. I have always been really sensitive to other people's judgement of me and my reaction is to get angry and defensive. I don't feel like I have to explain my reasons for going this route to people that don't share the same struggle. I was skeptical before I researched WLS. My sister-in-law had RNY over 10 years ago and my first thought was, she cheated. I know now that I was ignorant and she did what she needed to do to save and improve the quality of her life. If it hadn't got out that she had the surgery, I would've just thought she got serious about her health and did something about it, and I wouldn't have had those negative thoughts. I think somethings are better left unsaid.

I hope that is a better response considering the fact that we can't delete posts on here (hehe). :)

I like opening up on forums like this but don't like sharing personal details about my life to people outside of the WLS community. I have always been really sensitive to other people's judgement of me and my reaction is to get angry and defensive. I don't feel like I have to explain my reasons for going this route to people that don't share the same struggle. I was skeptical before I researched WLS. My sister-in-law had RNY over 10 years ago and my first thought was, she cheated. I know now that I was ignorant and she did what she needed to do to save and improve the quality of her life. If it hadn't got out that she had the surgery, I would've just thought she got serious about her health and did something about it, and I wouldn't have had those negative thoughts. I think somethings are better left unsaid.
I hope that is a better response considering the fact that we can't delete posts on here (hehe).
That makes a lot of sense. I can see how helpful this forum is just being in the pre-op phase. It's been since 2016....long process for me bc of multiple insurance struggles. I can see how valuable this community will be to me even more post op! Thanks for your opinion. It's definitely helpful to me!

I've never told anyone other than my immediate family (and medical professionals, of course). Remember you can't unring the bell. Plus you can always tell later on.

I opened up on FB, but I don't have alot of non family/friends on there, but I'm a very open person also. So really it depends on you.. do you care how people think of you? If so then no I'd keep it to your self. If you are like me and don't give a rat what people think then share away and if people don't like it then tell them to peace out to another dimension

I opened up on FB, but I don't have alot of non family/friends on there, but I'm a very open person also. So really it depends on you.. do you care how people think of you? If so then no I'd keep it to your self. If you are like me and don't give a rat what people think then share away and if people don't like it then tell them to peace out to another dimension
Haha! I appreciate your view.[emoji4]