Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

And some of things you encounter will differ from your mom's, but most pretty much the same. Great you have support and an in-home role example there. Post if you find you need help, me or another vari-buddy are always here!

Hello! I had my doctor consultation October 12. I'm still undecided about what I want but leaning toward Lap-Band. However, many people told me, including Nurse friends, that Lap-Band doesn't work and less and less doctors are performing it. Even my doctor was down playing the Lap-Band and encouraging me to pick Sleeve or Bi-Pass. Still thinking the band is right for me.

I'm scared about my GERD getting worse. I control it very well with a herb. Anyone else have issues with lap-band and GERD? My doctor says he takes out more lap-bands than he puts in. I don't want to have to take it out. Another thing I'm afraid of is extreme excess skin. I'd rather be a overweight than to have skin hanging and I don't have the money to do excess skin surgery.

Our insurance pays for it but we have very high deductible and will probably end up paying for most of it. My insurance won't let me have the surgery for 6 months. I have to see a dietitian every month, see psychologist and get an upper GI. I've been trying to lose weight since I was 13. I have a private trainer at my gym for 8 years and I've been going to a weight loss clinic for 25 years off and on. I'm very frustrated. Any suggestions or opinions would be much appreciated.

Edited by armartin98

I have a nurse friend who had the band and nearly died because it eroded, broke, and punctured her intestines. Not trying to scare you out of it, but it’s worth thinking about. Ultimately, your surgeon has performed (hopefully) many of the surgeries. I’m hoping for a sleeve but will go with whatever my surgeon recommends. He is the expert.

The time it takes to prepare for the surgery is so worth it to be healthy. I’d jump through hoops for a year if I had to.

I’m not sure about the GERD. There’s a lot of people on this forum that have it, so I’m sure they can offer insight. My clinic did mention at their seminar that bypass is the best option for people with GERD.

As for excess skin, I feel it would be worth it to pay for it when you’re able to. Some people don’t even have excess skin, but it is best to expect it and accept it. Then if you don’t have excess, it’s a bonus. Start saving now, then in about 2.5 years you’ll be ready to have that skin removed if you have it. Both physically and financially.

There are members here with the sleeve that have been successful. There are also members that have had revisions. Either due to issues with the band or the band just not working for them. Searching the forum and reading other's experiences will surely be beneficial. The only personal experience I have is my brother having it some time back and although he lost "some" weight at the very beginning it never really worked for him. He still has it but has recently been talking about having a revision. I stayed away from the thought of WLS for many years because I knew nothing other than the band and thought of it as a gimmick for surgeons to get the $$ from insurances. This process is very mental so be sure to get yourself ready there. Ultimately you have to make the best decision for you. GOOD LUCK and ENJOY!!!!!

Hi everyone isn't crazy how its the hardest decision to make. Which surgery would be the best for us. I struggled with that decision up to a few months ago. Orginially I was set to do the sleeve, thinking it would be less invasive, sounds like a simpler operation, easier for surgeon to perform but for me I had done soooo much research and after having my endoscopy, I'm convinced the bypass would ultimately be my better choice. I had some low grade inflammation in my stomach which I feel could eventually cause bad acid reflux disease. I had BAD acid reflux before don't want to live with it. Again there is so many people who have done the sleeve and not experience any issues with reflux and have had a lot of success and maintain healthier weight. Its my opinion I've read some really bad horror stories about lap band and lots of revisions which are harder to achieve weight loss and complications after 2nd surgery. I'm just saying really research before considering lap band.

As for insurance and out of pocket expense, some hospitals have programs that will adjust depending on your income. Hopefully you'll have some kinda help.

so my surgery is 11/15 bypass yep its happening crazy time flys

one week before thanksgiving my surgery

I rode one of my horses yesterday.. My riding skills have declined as I gained weight the last few years. Not to brag, but I used to be able to ride the hair off a horse. I could ride 10-20 miles and be ready for more.

Yesterday, I realized that I’m no longer riding, just trying not to fall off. All I could think about while trying to enjoy spending time with Button was how unstable I feel in the saddle. I’m so ready to get this weight off.

My struggle the past month has been knowing that I can’t lose more than 10lbs in my pre-op supervised diet stage. That’s 3 more months from now that I can’t really try to lose weight or I won’t qualify for surgery anymore. I’ve started taking some small steps to eating better like putting my Protein first, drinking more Water, and cutting out soda. Hopefully these changes will help me feel like I’m helping myself some without losing too much weight. These feelings are so conflicting!

Then again, I’ve tried in the past to lose weight and it didn’t work. I don’t know why I’m scared I’ll lose too much now 😂

(BTW- I realize some surgeons only count your starting weight. Mine does not. My insurance needs weights from each of these appointments.)

I get it, its hard, all we could do is try our best. I don't think you should worry to much about insurance I hope your team will know how to get your approval. I ,too, get nervous what if I lose too much but honestly I feel the rate I'm going I feel I will only get worst and sicker. I look at it as better trade off. But only think you really have to be religious about are taking your Vitamins on top of food routine.

Don't worry soon you'll be back on your horses healthier

I started my journey in May. I have completed the 6 months my insurance required for nutrition counseling. Now just waiting for approval and a surgery date. I have done a few days of intermittent liquid fast days to prepare. I’m nervously excited. Hoping that I get a date for surgery this year. Possibly December. I’m checking in on Monday to lake sure. I’ll feel at ease getting a date. Lots of arrangements needed to lake at work etc. good luck to all.

@chris_marie Congrats and good luck on your journey. Sounds like your prepping very well.

On 10/27/2018 at 6:29 AM, hwequestrian said:

My struggle the past month has been knowing that I can’t lose more than 10lbs in my pre-op supervised diet stage. That’s 3 more months from now that I can’t really try to lose weight or I won’t qualify for surgery anymore. I’ve started taking some small steps to eating better like putting my Protein first, drinking more Water, and cutting out soda. Hopefully these changes will help me feel like I’m helping myself some without losing too much weight. These feelings are so conflicting!

Then again, I’ve tried in the past to lose weight and it didn’t work. I don’t know why I’m scared I’ll lose too much now 😂

(BTW- I realize some surgeons only count your starting weight. Mine does not. My insurance needs weights from each of these appointments.)

Hi there! I'm 3 months into my 6 month supervised plan, so we should be having surgery around the same time! I was just given a surgery date of Feb 5th 2019 this week.

I also cannot lose any weight - my insurance doesn't go by just the starting weight either. I am at 36 BMI right now, and the cut off is 35 with co-morbidities. The nurse told me this weight in that I need to make sure I do not lose ANY weight. I've been eating 1300 calories or less and walking 10,000 steps daily for 3 years now and haven't lost any weight (due to ploycystic ovarian syndrome) - I think I'll be fine, LOL.