Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My name is Carly, and I’m new here. I’m from Oklahoma and pursuing WLS at Bailey Bariatrics in Owasso. I attended my center’s seminar on October 11th, and I had my first appointment on October 22nd. I just want to start somewhat of a journal to publicly keep track of my progress toward my WLS. My updates may be long, and I welcome anyone else who has information or questions to post here as well.

My first appointment went well. We went over my medical history, talked about the process and what challenges we may run into (my family medical history of heart problems and my bipolar 2 disorder). I also had labs drawn. We get binders with loads of information and a pre-op checklist, which I think will help with my impatience. I spent about an hour looking through it today to soak in as much info as possible.

Today I received a phone call to schedule my chest X-rays, liver ultrasound, and pulmonary function test. I’ll have all three tests on November 15th.

My next NP appointment for my medically supervised weight loss program is on November 19. My center also provides support groups that I will start attending monthly from November up to and after surgery (might as well start now!).

I’m looking forward to the whole process. I’m trying to wipe my brain clean for a fresh slate to take in the education given in the next several months leading up to surgery. Here’s to hoping for WLS in the next 6 months!

Anyone else just starting their journey want to be pre-op buddies?

Welcome. I hope your journey goes smooth. I suffer from OCD and Major Depressive Disorder. I am about 15 months post op. Feel free to DM if you have any questions.

Hello love! Welcome to the journey! I started back on the journey so I am about 3 months in the pre-op phase, so far it's going good! I hope everything is well happy that you are here!!! :780_sparkling_heart:

Welcome, I am new here myself. I decided to have the Surgery on September 21st. Since I am self-pay the process is a little different and smoother as there are no hoops to jump through or mandatory things to do. I start my liquid diet in 2 days and my Surgery is scheduled for November 8th. Here is to new beginnings!

Walter- I’m sorry you have to deal with mental illness as well, but that gives me hope I may not have as much trouble as I thought. My NP said the psychologist may want to hold off surgery until I’ve been stable for a full year. I’m going to be so disappointed if that’s the case 😔

Drez- That’s pretty far into the process! You should be scheduling your surgery soon shouldn’t you?

Jazzy- Good luck with your liquid diet and surgery. My mom had the sleeve and was self pay. It’s tempting to self pay just to get it done faster 😂

Hi Carly!

I am new too and if you have the 6 month requirement, we will have our surgeries right about the same time.

I live in Western Pennsylvania, went to the seminar on 10-10 and see the surgeon today. Luckily, I had an appt with my PCP on the 3rd and the weigh in there counts as my first.

Hope you have a great day!!!

Carly,

That is great that you only have 3 months of waiting. That will just fly for you!

Are you having sleeve or RNY?

I'm RNY.

3 hours ago, hwequestrian said:

Walter- I’m sorry you have to deal with mental illness as well, but that gives me hope I may not have as much trouble as I thought. My NP said the psychologist may want to hold off surgery until I’ve been stable for a full year. I’m going to be so disappointed if that’s the case 😔

Drez- That’s pretty far into the process! You should be scheduling your surgery soon shouldn’t you?

Jazzy- Good luck with your liquid diet and surgery. My mom had the sleeve and was self pay. It’s tempting to self pay just to get it done faster 😂

Yeah hopefully soon! I already had a lot of my testing done except for a egd 🙃 and seeing my pcp and that’s it. I have an appointment Friday so we will see what they say! I have to lose a certain amount to get approved which sucks ass!

Welcome to the site and Best to you on your WLS journey. You'll learn plenty here and love the other WLS'rs.

Hi Carly,

My name is Andrea; I am new here too, my seminar is this Saturday. I am a planner, so not knowing the full treatment plan, pre-op nutrition timeline and weight loss requirement is kinda killing me. I've been reading articles and posts like mad. Two people from my work (same insurance) have had their surgeries approved, so as long as I do my part I expect the same, which is a relief. I'm hesitant to talk about my surgery plans - I'm not sure why - otherwise I would be plying them with questions.

Thank you for sharing information on your appointments and journey so far, it helps to know what to expect. Would love to be pre-op buddies!

Aundria, I’m a high anxiety person when I don’t know what to expect as well. My NP did a great job explaining what all would need to be done before surgery, but didn’t have a timeline. I’m sure it’s hard to figure an exact timeline without knowing when each test will be. They did give me a book with a checklist of everything that will need finished before surgery though. Hopefully that will settle my nerves as I’m able to see the list dwindling.

Keep me updated on your progress please!

8 hours ago, Aundria said:

Hi Carly,

My name is Andrea; I am new here too, my seminar is this Saturday. I am a planner, so not knowing the full treatment plan, pre-op nutrition timeline and weight loss requirement is kinda killing me. I've been reading articles and posts like mad. Two people from my work (same insurance) have had their surgeries approved, so as long as I do my part I expect the same, which is a relief. I'm hesitant to talk about my surgery plans - I'm not sure why - otherwise I would be plying them with questions.

Thank you for sharing information on your appointments and journey so far, it helps to know what to expect. Would love to be pre-op buddies!

Hi Andrea, my name is Jen and I am a planner too!!!!!!!!!
OMG it was just killing me between the seminar and the first visit to the Dr. LOL

18 hours ago, hwequestrian said:

I’m hoping for the sleeve, but I’ll go with whatever my surgeon suggests. My mom had the sleeve two years ago so I know roughly what to expect.

I was hoping to get the sleeve too, but my Dr. feels bypass would be better for me due to my GERD.
That is great that your mom had it done so you have someones experience to go off of.