Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Volume and calories consumed daily

I’m 6 mo post op and down 70lbs with another 20-30 to go but things have slowed waaaaaaay down. I’ve only lost 5lbs/mo for past 3 months. Also, I’m very surprised at the volume of food I’m able to eat and suspect this is a contributing factor.

I travel a lot for work and as a result find myself eating out. I order healthy options and mostly avoid carbs but I find my self straining to finish meals. I can usually eat 2/3 of a restaurant serving. For example, if I order a burger, I will usually eat all of the burger sans bun and a few fries. Or today I had almost 3 scrambled eggs, 2 slices of bacon and a bite or two of potatoes. Sometimes I know I’m eating too much and don’t feel good but for the most part I stop when I’m full. I’m a 37 y.o. female with an athletic build, and on average consume 1500-2000 cal/day.

Is anyone else able to consume this much? Can my sleeve already be stretched? Any tips for ordering at restaurants without having to disclose surgery is much appreciated :)

I am 6 months out and now eating 1400-1600 calories a day. I also work out 4 to 5 days a week, and burn on average 200-250 calories. I started at 241 and I was 229 on the day or my surgery. Today I am 182 and i am struggling to lose, but I have lost a lot of inches. I am 5'6 and 38 years old. Honestly, I would love to lose more but I am also content where I am. I am so tired of focusing on the scale though because I know that is the number that matters to the doctor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am 6 months out and I am averaging about 850-900 calories per day. I am sure I could eat more but am choosing not to until I hit my goal. When i am traveling for work I take Protein Bars with me as Meal Replacements. They ar easier to manage than shakes and helps with not eating out too much.

2 hours ago, NYCNomad said:

I’m 6 mo post op and down 70lbs with another 20-30 to go but things have slowed waaaaaaay down. I’ve only lost 5lbs/mo for past 3 months. Also, I’m very surprised at the volume of food I’m able to eat and suspect this is a contributing factor.

I travel a lot for work and as a result find myself eating out. I order healthy options and mostly avoid carbs but I find my self straining to finish meals. I can usually eat 2/3 of a restaurant serving. For example, if I order a burger, I will usually eat all of the burger sans bun and a few fries. Or today I had almost 3 scrambled eggs, 2 slices of bacon and a bite or two of potatoes. Sometimes I know I’m eating too much and don’t feel good but for the most part I stop when I’m full. I’m a 37 y.o. female with an athletic build, and on average consume 1500-2000 cal/day.

Is anyone else able to consume this much? Can my sleeve already be stretched? Any tips for ordering at restaurants without having to disclose surgery is much appreciated :)

Many posts about this.

Many of us can hold more food as you progress out from surgery. Its seems to be a shared experience for sleevers. Your stomach is not back to normal size. (stretching is rare. You can always get it checked out by your Dr.)

Now that you can hold more volume it is important to keep within your calories and macros. The extra volume does not mean you have to overeat or make choices that will cause weight gain. Where your calories and macros should be at this point? You may want a consult with your dietician. We are all different what works for me, may not work for you.

Restaurants and travel: Look up menus online to see what bariatric friendly options you have. If you can, go shopping and buy no cook items. If you don't finish a meal you can take leftovers home. Use a bariatric card for small portions.

I am just past 5 months post op. I find if I eat my Protein first that I am full and I do feel the sleeve limit. If you choose to eat carbs first you will be able to eat more. I have to remind myself to be mindful eating. I take this commitment with surgery as a tool and I have to utilize the tool. For me, I do not buy the carbs so they are not in my home. I go to protein first and tell myself if I want a bite or two of something after than it's a very small amount. I rarely get to eat the other stuff because I FOCUS on protein and good carbs/vegetables and fruit first. I have zero carbonation and I still crave it. I simply won't allow myself to go there. Drink your Water and this helps to keep you full. As my treat every day I have Bai water as a reward (coconut /pineapple) that is 10 calories for the entire bottle. It works for me.

21 hours ago, NYCNomad said:

I will say you can eat way, way more than I can. I do wonder if I have a very small sleeve. You say you are struggling to finish a meal. You shouldn't even try, lol. I would never be close.

I can eat one egg and a sausage. I avoid potatoes and bread because it makes me so uncomfortable.

As for ordering, nobody really cares. I don't have to offer an explanation and they really don't comment. If I'm with family I will say I'm having a bite of theirs and they never even look at me weird. If I'm with people and expected to order I find Soup a great option. I order off the sides a lot or just all for a chicken breast. I've noticed I was way more conscience about it than others. Once I relaxed it was fine. I never had to explain myself. Now I do notice people eat less around me, but not my circus, not my monkeys.

Forget about every being able to finish a meal, they are way too much anyway.

Good luck.

What is this? Or what does it mean if it's not a physical thing?

23 hours ago, skinnylife said:

Use a bariatric card for small portions.

25 minutes ago, J San said:

What is this? Or what does it mean if it's not a physical thing?

Ask your surgeon's office if they have a bariatric card, Most restaurants honor them and will give you smaller portioned meals.

honestly, i never used mine.

Edited by skinnylife

I have been worried, so many bari-pals have them from their hospitals and Bariatric centers. I have not been able to believe Ohio State University- Wexner Medical did not have them. They do, it is on the other side of my assigned dieticians card. Says about the same as the others.
The carrier of this card has had gastric surgery, and has a reduced intake of food. Please allow her to. order from a children, senior or a reduced portion size menu. Thank You. Ohio State university
Bariatric Department.
Have not eaten out since surgery; but now I Will Be Ready if the time ever comes!😛🍝🍵

Been to a diner once on a family trip but didn't eat. Other than that havn't been out to eat yet. Doesn't seem like it would be worth the trouble at this point. Thanks for the info though.

I order Soup or an appetizer as my main meal. Nobody ever says anything, I've been doing it so long--8 years in January.

I ask for a box and take 1/2 home for another meal. :)

... Or I split an adult sized meal with my 2 year old.

I don't think your sleeve is stretched out but it may be reaching "maturity." And if you're weight has slowed for 2-3 months, you really must consider that you are eating at or near your maintenance calories. If you want to lose more, your restriction is still alive and well, but you will have to go back to basic rules and observe them including portion limits and perhaps even massaging your macros depending on carb tolerance, metabolic issues, and any craving or food issues that the different macros illicit in you. As other's said, your sleeve will allow larger capacity as it matures.

I averaged 835 calories; 71g Protein; 37g Fat; 42g Carbs; 9g Fiber; 33g Net Carbs (I was only losing about 3lbs/Month). I exercised at least 1 hour daily (walking mostly), 6-7 days/week. I only lost about 3lbs.

So in Month 7, I added in IF (Intermittent Fasting) and green tea and averaged: 804 calories; 60g Protein; 43g Carbs; 7g Fiber; 36g Net Carbs. I still exercise the same, but am trying to add more strength training from movement exercises 2 days per week. I lost 11lbs that first month.

Volume is all over the place depending on what it is. I most measure on the scale now so I have repeatable quantities. I weight and/or measure everything.

Protein-2-4oz per meal (depending on which meal)

Veggies-2-3oz per meal (depending on what veg and how it's cooked)

Salads-fuhgettaboudit--I eat a crapton of this stuff

Fats-1tsp equivalent per meal = 1oz avocado=1tsp fat/butter/olive oil=1/4oz nuts

Fruits-some snacks/small meals-1-2oz total

Yesterday after tests was a hungry hungry hippo day so I ate:

L-Small Side salad (BB jalapeno tuna pouch + romaine + spinach + grape tomatoes + cucumber + carrot/purple cabbage shreds + red onion + vinegar + 1tbsp Feta cheese Vinaigrette)

1 small Murphy's Deli Tortilla Soup mixes with zucchini and yellow squash from their veggie soup--no tortilla strips

S-1oz Almonds + 2oz baby carrots + 1oz grape tomatoes + 1oz celery

D-1 Caprese stack (1oz mozz, 1 slice tom, 1 basil leaf, 1/2oz roasted rbp, capers)

2oz grilled chicken

2oz sauteed broccoli with olive oil, parmesan, roasted rbp, capers

I now have more sensations of satiety than I did at any time before this. I had virtually no satiety cues at 6 months. But I tried hard to keep the limit of eating to 1cup total. I now eat about 1 to 1 1/4 or 1 1/3 cups of food per meal with the exception of salads. I can pound down about 2 to 2 1/2 cups of salads that include 2-3oz dense Protein + leafy veg + crunchy veg (red onion, rbp, radish, cucumber, grape tomatoes, avocado)

56 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I don't think your sleeve is stretched out but it may be reaching "maturity." And if you're weight has slowed for 2-3 months, you really must consider that you are eating at or near your maintenance calories. If you want to lose more, your restriction is still alive and well, but you will have to go back to basic rules and observe them including portion limits and perhaps even massaging your macros depending on carb tolerance, metabolic issues, and any craving or food issues that the different macros illicit in you. As other's said, your sleeve will allow larger capacity as it matures.

I averaged 835 calories; 71g Protein; 37g Fat; 42g Carbs; 9g Fiber; 33g Net Carbs (I was only losing about 3lbs/Month). I exercised at least 1 hour daily (walking mostly), 6-7 days/week. I only lost about 3lbs.

So in Month 7, I added in IF (Intermittent Fasting) and green tea and averaged: 804 calories; 60g Protein; 43g Carbs; 7g Fiber; 36g Net Carbs. I still exercise the same, but am trying to add more strength training from movement exercises 2 days per week. I lost 11lbs that first month.

Volume is all over the place depending on what it is. I most measure on the scale now so I have repeatable quantities. I weight and/or measure everything.

Protein-2-4oz per meal (depending on which meal)

Veggies-2-3oz per meal (depending on what veg and how it's cooked)

Salads-fuhgettaboudit--I eat a crapton of this stuff

Fats-1tsp equivalent per meal = 1oz avocado=1tsp fat/butter/olive oil=1/4oz nuts

Fruits-some snacks/small meals-1-2oz total

Yesterday after tests was a hungry hungry hippo day so I ate:

L-Small Side salad (BB jalapeno tuna pouch + romaine + spinach + grape tomatoes + cucumber + carrot/purple cabbage shreds + red onion + vinegar + 1tbsp Feta cheese Vinaigrette)

1 small Murphy's Deli Tortilla Soup mixes with zucchini and yellow squash from their veggie soup--no tortilla strips

S-1oz Almonds + 2oz baby carrots + 1oz grape tomatoes + 1oz celery

D-1 Caprese stack (1oz mozz, 1 slice tom, 1 basil leaf, 1/2oz roasted rbp, capers)

2oz grilled chicken

2oz sauteed broccoli with olive oil, parmesan, roasted rbp, capers

I now have more sensations of satiety than I did at any time before this. I had virtually no satiety cues at 6 months. But I tried hard to keep the limit of eating to 1cup total. I now eat about 1 to 1 1/4 or 1 1/3 cups of food per meal with the exception of salads. I can pound down about 2 to 2 1/2 cups of salads that include 2-3oz dense Protein + leafy veg + crunchy veg (red onion, rbp, radish, cucumber, grape tomatoes, avocado)

I get seriously full on lettuce, I wonder why? I am now wondering if it's all in my head, lol. Certain things fill me super quickly and lettuce has been one of those foods. I literally can't eat bread or potatoes, thankfully. Dense Protein fills me quickly but keeps me full a long time.