Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Southern Sleevers

Mississippi girl here (South MS). I had my surgery on 9/4. Started off great and slowly got off the path in December. Now having to re-center my focus back on making the right choices and more exercise. Comfort food and good home cooking is so hard to say no to. Another thing I find is if you are in rural areas (I am in a small town) it is hard to find/go to gyms or find fun activities that is not food centered.

Depending on your take on geography I could be considered from the south or the Midwest. I’ve always considered my state to have more characteristics of the south than the Midwest, so I’ll answer this.

I started out at 489. It is hard for me to type that because I can’t believe I let myself get that bad.

I was sleeved on May 10 of this year and I have lost 188lbs. I am currently 301 lbs. My goal at the start was 300 but I think I am going to amend that to 270. I have a little more fat around my abdomen I could stand to lose. 270 is still large for most men but with my frame — 6’6” and built like the college defensive lineman I was in my youth — I carry 270 fairly well. Heck, I carry 301 well. Most people that see me now think I am 240 or 250 because I do not “look like a 300 lb man.”

I am. Still. For at least a little bit. 2 lbs away from the 200’s!

2 minutes ago, MeanSleevedMachine said:

Depending on your take on geography I could be considered from the south or the Midwest. I’ve always considered my state to have more characteristics of the south than the Midwest, so I’ll answer this.

I started out at 489. It is hard for me to type that because I can’t believe I let myself get that bad.

I was sleeved on May 10 of this year and I have lost 188lbs. I am currently 301 lbs. My goal at the start was 300 but I think I am going to amend that to 270. I have a little more fat around my abdomen I could stand to lose. 270 is still large for most men but with my frame — 6’6” and built like the college defensive lineman I was in my youth — I carry 270 fairly well. Heck, I carry 301 well. Most people that see me now think I am 240 or 250 because I do not “look like a 300 lb man.”

I am. Still. For at least a little bit. 2 lbs away from the 200’s!

What are you doing for exercise? And is your family eating right with you? I'm stalled for as few months now

On 12/19/2018 at 11:29, KayC12019 said:

I am in Georgia and will be getting sleeved Jan. 15th. Starting to feel nervous.
Hi Kay! I’m in North Atl and getting my sleeve on the 11th. Where in GA are you?

Hi! From Macon Georgia here, in the process to have the sleeve this summer!

4 hours ago, Ginger-Snap said:

Mississippi girl here (South MS). I had my surgery on 9/4. Started off great and slowly got off the path in December. Now having to re-center my focus back on making the right choices and more exercise. Comfort food and good home cooking is so hard to say no to. Another thing I find is if you are in rural areas (I am in a small town) it is hard to find/go to gyms or find fun activities that is not food centered.

I live in a rural area outside Nashville. I'm from Nashville and I"m used to all kinds of things right around the corner. Here, the nearest gym that is affordable is in Nashville over 30 minute drive. The gyms in town are ridiculously priced. I live down in a holler in the woods, so walking the street takes a 20 minute walk up my driveway that by the time I get up the hill, I'm breathing hard and ready to go back down. I have 1 neighbor down here with me that has 3 dogs, 2 huge ones that bark at fleas farting. I love walking in the wilderness, but not when I'm afraid their electric fence will be off. I have an elliptical and exercise trampoline, but it gets boring and I give up before a good workout. Excuses I know.

I agree. I have to be inventive with exercise which is mostly outside. Bright side the trip to the mailbox is at least a good distance. I am lucky to have my kids (especially the two teenage boys) that are very active outside. They inspire me to play ball with them. It is equally good because I tend to be super competitive (can’t let them beat me 😁). But i admit it is easy to give up on a hot humid day, a sudden cold snap/hot snap combo day, or a the weeks worth of rain (like we are having now).

Hi Kay! I’m in North Atl and getting my sleeve on the 11th. Where in GA are you?
Hey! I'm up in Gainesville/Oakwood GA! Down in Duluth a couple days a week, too.

How far outside the city are y'all (that's how you know you're from GA - when you can just say "the city" and assume folks will know you mean Atl 🤣).

~SW: 278 CW: 165~
RNY 1/5/2005
"What got you here won't get you there."

Do I dare congratulate the UK Wildcats on their bowl win, don't want to make any Bulldog fans peeved but it was one heck of a game. I'm a rare bird, I ❤bowl games, I ❤football most, B :-)ball is second, And mean sleeved machine, you live near a B-ball powerhouse or 2, don't you? Tomkitten groans but usually lets me have my Bowl Games, especially the New Years Day ones. We had roast chicken, stuffing , mashed taters and gravy, maybe I put him into a mellow stupor,

On 01/03/2019 at 21:26, nosilla said:

I am in Suwanee

On 01/03/2019 at 23:59, Amanda Dutton LPC said:

Hey! I'm up in Gainesville/Oakwood GA! Down in Duluth a couple days a week, too.

How far outside the city are y'all (that's how you know you're from GA - when you can just say "the city" and assume folks will know you mean Atl 🤣).

RNY 1/5/2005

I am in Suwanee. That is funny because most people don’t know the cities outside of Atlanta in less you are from here so true!

I am in Suwanee. That is funny because most people don’t know the cities outside of Atlanta in less you are from here so true!
Right?!? Suwanee isn't far from me at all! If you are ever looking for local resources or or anything, send me a message - I'll answer anything I can. I'm a lifelong local.

RNY 1/5/2005

On 01/03/2019 at 21:42, MegHealthy said:

Hi! From Macon Georgia here, in the process to have the sleeve this summer!
Hi MegHealthy in Macon! How are you doing?

@johnson

My kids eat junk food all of the time. Cake, Cookies, you name it. They can do that and burn it off and get away with it. So I’m not Scrooge. They deserve to enjoy the gift of a youthful metabolism. :)

I exercise pretty hard. Five days of weight lifting alternating two ways: upper body then legs. Then I alternate by lifting heavy then light.

I do seven days of walking between 15-20k steps.

I hit stalls along the way too and how I shortened them was to actually eat more. Anytime I stalled more than a week I’d up my calories 200 and Protein by 10. At this point I am eating 2200 calories and 190 protein a day. But my resting BMR at my goal weight will be 2400. So 2200 calories is about where I should be since I am 31 lbs from my goal weight. I want to be at 2400 calories by then and just stick there.

Good evening from MS! I was sleeved 10/17/18 and have lost 75 lbs since my journey started in April 2018. My goal is 15 lbs more but I might push it to 25 more😏