Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre surgery monitored diet

Hey I was just wondering what was required by everyone’s insurance as far as pre surgery monitoring for diet. I have read tons of things and most common that I’ve seen was 3 months and 6 months. I got some information sent to me from a the surgeons office that said my insurance requires 7 months.. this seemed weird to me because I feel like 7 months is a random number and I’m pretty positive I read that my insurance required 3 months. Just curious and wanting to see what other people’s experience was! Thanks! :)

I did not have that req but was told some have 3 or 6 months as well. I agree 7 is random. Go with your gut.

Mine was 6 months with other requirements. I tried looking online for my insurance requirements, then I got off the electronics and did it the old fashioned way and called. I would suggest giving your insurance company a call and ask them what their requirements are and then ask where you can find that in maybe online or in an insurance handbook or whatever they are called (where you can find approved meds, doctors, and what is covered and what deductible you have)

Sometimes as you were through all the requirements You were,in another country or being a Private Pay!

Yep, mine was/is 3 months. Sucks, but I think it's a necessary evil.

I had 6 months of Dr monitored diet with a necessary loss of 10% body weight, visit with nutritionist, psych eval, endoscopy and sleep study.

Mine was six months and had to note my change of habits in an attempt to change, ie parking at far end of parking lot and walking farther, putting fork down between bites, chewing food 30xs, etc but oddly no requirement to lose weight, just couldn’t let my BMI go below 40, which was not an issue! I lost 3-4 pounds each month first three months then gained 2-3 pounds second three months. Approval came three days after it was submitted to insurance.

For me GEHA required 6 months of "supervised" diet and exercise. This really just boiled down to meeting with the nutritionist once a month for 6 months. There were requirements that the doctors office required that insurance did not, I was able to successfully "negotiate" some of these so that I didn't have to do them, but some were "hard requirements" for the practice.