Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is losing 50% of excess weight the standard?

Thanks, MarinaGirl. I totally agree that I wouldn't be happy only losing 60 lbs and still being obese after WLS. Thanks for your encouragement and advice!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

What qualifies a person as a Vet? Can I claim that hat?

I think there are so few because after the first couple of years we get less obsessed with weight loss and just go back to “ normal “ life. We don’t need the constant support and feel we should just be getting on with things.

We come back when something has gone wrong and we are staring down the barrel of a revision. At that point we feel like we have a lot of experience but we are also confused and apprehensive and a little bit scared.

Can we do it again and be successful. Will we survive that bl@@dy awful preop diet for a second time etc

I know what worked for me the first time was education education education.

I look at it this way - At least here in the US, doctors are in the crosshairs by every patient they see. They don't know if their patient is a lawyer, or one that knows a great malpractice lawyer. The surgeon tells you things - things you make life altering decisions on - then puts you in a near-death state and redesigns your innards. The poor doctors have it hard, they really do. I know of several doctors that pay unimaginable malpractice insurance every year.

So I think the doctors like to underpromise/overdeliver. I don't think most people would sue them if they said "You'll only be overweight when you hit your final weight" and then almost miraculously you are in the "normal" BMI. Most people would think the doctor is a hero, and recommend them to everybody.

Us car guys call it sand-bagging when we're racing. It's politics and it stinks, but this is the world we live in.

Like other people said, everybody is different. The doctors right now are mad at me because I really don't eat much "real" food. A lot of things give me nausea, but I'm happy as a clam with my sugar free popsicles, clear Protein Drink, and regular Protein Shakes. For right now, I'm completely cool with never eating again, and I hope I stay this way. I know the first 6-18 months are extremely important as weight loss thereafter is hard, so I'm going as fast as I can. The doc told me at 3 months I'm about where a typical patient is at 6 months. Sounds good to me!

Also, as others said, and in my opinion, WLS is to be healthier. Looking better is just a welcomed side-effect. I don't think most people are 100% thrilled after the surgery, skin is only so elastic, but walking a mile, walking up stairs, playing with your kids, cleaning the house...all of that is so much easier. FWIW my blood pressure before surgery was 135-140 over 95 to 100. Now? 105/75. That alone probably put quite a few years back on the table.

I routinely saw and heard the same stat. Which is weird as at 6 months I’m below that stat. Still loosing slowly (it’s like someone put the breaks on) but now the hard part is starting for me where it’s not just coming off. I have to make (or get really close) my Protein, fluids and exercise goals to see the scale move. I can see the scale not move because I choose to have tortilla chips with dinner. Or I sat on my butt instead of walking (stupid video games). Or I drank fluids too close to eating and then ate more than I should.. Or I didn’t drink enough Water for the day. Or is it that time of the month where I’m going to stall no matter but once I’m done the scale drops...

I have to be honest with myself on my decisions. Six months ago when they asked me my goals I said under 200? Maybe 185? Under 170 seems crazy. And I’m knocking on 200, down a 100 and feel fabulous. If I stopped here or came back here I think I’d be okay. However I’m 1% away from dropping from obese to overweight and boy do I want that. I almost can wear all non plus clothing and it’s driving me mad that I’m so close.

So I go on my long walks and use the recumbent, I drink more water and tea, I really focus on protein and limit my non fruit/veggie carbs. Am I perfect? So very much not nor am I trying to be.

I look at it this way - At least here in the US, doctors are in the crosshairs by every patient they see. They don't know if their patient is a lawyer, or one that knows a great malpractice lawyer. The surgeon tells you things - things you make life altering decisions on - then puts you in a near-death state and redesigns your innards. The poor doctors have it hard, they really do. I know of several doctors that pay unimaginable malpractice insurance every year.
So I think the doctors like to underpromise/overdeliver. I don't think most people would sue them if they said "You'll only be overweight when you hit your final weight" and then almost miraculously you are in the "normal" BMI. Most people would think the doctor is a hero, and recommend them to everybody.
Us car guys call it sand-bagging when we're racing. It's politics and it stinks, but this is the world we live in.
Like other people said, everybody is different. The doctors right now are mad at me because I really don't eat much "real" food. A lot of things give me nausea, but I'm happy as a clam with my sugar free popsicles, clear Protein Drink, and regular Protein Shakes. For right now, I'm completely cool with never eating again, and I hope I stay this way. I know the first 6-18 months are extremely important as weight loss thereafter is hard, so I'm going as fast as I can. The doc told me at 3 months I'm about where a typical patient is at 6 months. Sounds good to me!
Also, as others said, and in my opinion, WLS is to be healthier. Looking better is just a welcomed side-effect. I don't think most people are 100% thrilled after the surgery, skin is only so elastic, but walking a mile, walking up stairs, playing with your kids, cleaning the house...all of that is so much easier. FWIW my blood pressure before surgery was 135-140 over 95 to 100. Now? 105/75. That alone probably put quite a few years back on the table.
Thanks, CyclicalLoser. I like your explanation and it makes good sense. We're all so different that the doctors have to downplay how much weight we could lose. And as many have said, gaining mobility, energy, better health are more important to me than a number on the scale. I just don't want to still be obese after all is said and done. I've read so many encouraging stories that I think with this new tool, hard work, and determination I will make this work!

I routinely saw and heard the same stat. Which is weird as at 6 months I’m below that stat. Still loosing slowly (it’s like someone put the breaks on) but now the hard part is starting for me where it’s not just coming off. I have to make (or get really close) my Protein, fluids and exercise goals to see the scale move. I can see the scale not move because I choose to have tortilla chips with dinner. Or I sat on my butt instead of walking (stupid video games). Or I drank fluids too close to eating and then ate more than I should.. Or I didn’t drink enough Water for the day. Or is it that time of the month where I’m going to stall no matter but once I’m done the scale drops...

I have to be honest with myself on my decisions. Six months ago when they asked me my goals I said under 200? Maybe 185? Under 170 seems crazy. And I’m knocking on 200, down a 100 and feel fabulous. If I stopped here or came back here I think I’d be okay. However I’m 1% away from dropping from obese to overweight and boy do I want that. I almost can wear all non plus clothing and it’s driving me mad that I’m so close.

So I go on my long walks and use the recumbent, I drink more water and tea, I really focus on protein and limit my non fruit/veggie carbs. Am I perfect? So very much not nor am I trying to be.

Thanks, RHCD. Congratulations on your weight loss so far! That's awesome. All of you who replied have been an encouragement to me.

13 hours ago, CyclicalLoser said:

Never thought this could be a factor but now that I think about it you might have a point here. :D

But then again there are all these studies that claim the average (or median? not sure) loss is about 50% or 60% EWL after several years. And I think this is something to keep in mind. The studies look at the facts after several years and not several months.

However, drop out rates can be sky high, especially when it comes to the real long term studies. You'll never know about the patients who dropped out.

15 minutes ago, summerset said:

Never thought this could be a factor but now that I think about it you might have a point here. :D

But then again there are all these studies that claim the average (or median? not sure) loss is about 50% or 60% EWL after several years. And I think this is something to keep in mind. The studies look at the facts after several years and not several months.

However, drop out rates can be sky high, especially when it comes to the real long term studies. You'll never know about the patients who dropped out.

Huh... Something to think about!

14 hours ago, CyclicalLoser said:

Huh... Something to think about!

6 minutes ago, summerset said:

What? The doctors or the time spans? ;)

the entire scope, I'm trying not to be short sighted when it comes to my personal journey so hearing info about multiyear spans is helpful. My team didn't over sell me on my goal because they didn't give me one. They were very clear that my body would determine it ultimately no matter what I wanted and I'm thankful for that. It's kept me grounded and focused on health.

Edited by GreenTealael

I only read the first of the 3 pages of comments to this post. i am just gonna put my 2 cents in.

• I am a vet - 7 years post op as of 11/2018
  • preop weight 326lbs
  • post op weight lowest: 132
  • post op current weight:147lbs.
  • i am 5'3" tall.

I came to this site actually for a different reason. The reason is that after 7 years of weightloss of 179 lbs total and the past 2 years of being chronically sick in many different aspects of my body: internal digestive problems, inflammation of my joints, low immune system, catching every cold, infection, virus i came within 5 feet of, urinary problems, skin problems, Vitamin deficiencies, anemia, nerve damages, B12 deficiency.... the list keeps growing.

I am interested in REVERSING my gastric bypass surgery, even with my success story of weightloss. And my reason why is because I would rather take the chance that i may regain weight entirely, will most definitly regain in sanome aspect. But i would rather live a "plus size" life than to feel like my days are numbered and i could drop dead at any moment.

I feel a reversal would extend my life. this here, this promise that wls was going to extend my life was a money making facade.... and they will make more money on me now.

That's really horrible. I feel for you, and hope you get resolution to your problems. It is quite scary for me. I haven't had surgery yet and your post was sobering. I'd like other vets to weigh in on this, too. Maybe I'm making a big mistake!

1 hour ago, Michellekristen514 said:

I only read the first of the 3 pages of comments to this post. i am just gonna put my 2 cents in.

• I am a vet - 7 years post op as of 11/2018
  • preop weight 326lbs
  • post op weight lowest: 132
  • post op current weight:147lbs.
  • i am 5'3" tall.

I came to this site actually for a different reason. The reason is that after 7 years of weightloss of 179 lbs total and the past 2 years of being chronically sick in many different aspects of my body: internal digestive problems, inflammation of my joints, low immune system, catching every cold, infection, virus i came within 5 feet of, urinary problems, skin problems, Vitamin deficiencies, anemia, nerve damages, B12 deficiency.... the list keeps growing.

I am interested in REVERSING my gastric bypass surgery, even with my success story of weightloss. And my reason why is because I would rather take the chance that i may regain weight entirely, will most definitly regain in sanome aspect. But i would rather live a "plus size" life than to feel like my days are numbered and i could drop dead at any moment.

I feel a reversal would extend my life. this here, this promise that wls was going to extend my life was a money making facade.... and they will make more money on me now.

This post doesn’t ring entirely true for me as you just joined, haven’t posted before, haven’t read the entire thread, and so it comes across as fear mongering (about GB). Instead of hijacking someone else’s post, can you please start your own and include any questions you may have?