Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When should you get fluid removed from the band?

Hi All,

I went for an adjustment this past Thursday and my doctor added an additional two cc of Fluid into my band. For the first time I am facing serious resistance in my band. I ate two small shrimp over the course of an hour on Saturday evening and could not keep it down. I had coffee on Sunday morning and could not keep it down. I had two pieces of penne on Sunday night and could not keep it down. I struggled to finish half a cup of Activia yogurt on Sunday night. I tried to eat a sous vide egg bite this morning and could only get through about a third before I started feeling sick. Is this what normal ideal resistance should feel like, or do I need to go and get an adjustment?

2 minutes ago, Trouvette said:

Hi All,

I went for an adjustment this past Thursday and my doctor added an additional two cc of Fluid into my band. For the first time I am facing serious resistance in my band. I ate two small shrimp over the course of an hour on Saturday evening and could not keep it down. I had coffee on Sunday morning and could not keep it down. I had two pieces of penne on Sunday night and could not keep it down. I struggled to finish half a cup of Activia yogurt on Sunday night. I tried to eat a sous vide egg bite this morning and could only get through about a third before I started feeling sick. Is this what normal ideal resistance should feel like, or do I need to go and get an adjustment?

Sounds like you need to go back. If you can't drink liquids without issue... then you are too tight.

That was a lot of fill to put in in one go!

Did they make you drink a glass of Water after the fill to check that you could get it down ok?

If you can’t drink without an issue the. you need an unfill

2 minutes ago, elcee said:

Did they make you drink a glass of Water after the fill to check that you could get it down ok?

Water seems to be fine in sips. Anything else has been problematic. I've only managed a few sips of a Protein Shake in the past hour.

This is definitely not what normal restriction is. You need to have some removed and titrate up slower. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Trouvette said:

Water seems to be fine in sips. Anything else has been problematic. I've only managed a few sips of a Protein Shake in the past hour.

Generally after a fill they get you to drink a whole glass of Water, not in sips but drinking normally. If you can only sip water you are way too tight. Don't think it will help you lose weight it won't - you will end up dehydrated and you will also eat or drink high calorie sliders to compensate for not being able to eat real food. You may also end up with a slip and quite possibly reflux.

You should go back to your Dr's ASAP

23 hours ago, elcee said:

Just got back from the doctor. They took half of the fill out. I feel much better. Thanks everyone!