Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are your basic instructions progressing to weigh maintenance ?

I keep reading posts that people will be eating Protein and vegetables only life long. I am curious to know what your dietician basic plan for going into weight maintenance is?

Do your basic maintaining instructions look similar to mine? I was told to add low glycemic carbohydrates, Sweet potato, brown rice, whole wheat etc. after I lost 75% of my weight. This is to slow/stop weight loss.

Is anyone currently maintaining living off protein and vegetables only?

7 minutes ago, skinnylife said:

I keep reading posts that people will be eating Protein and vegetables only life long. I am curious to know what your dietician basic plan for going into weight maintenance is?

Do your basic maintaining instructions look similar to mine? I was told to add low glycemic carbohydrates, Sweet potato, brown rice, whole wheat etc. after I lost 75% of my weight. This is to slow/stop weight loss.

Is anyone currently maintaining living off Protein and vegetables only?

I eat whatever I want. I'm still in the "loss" phase, but I still eat whatever I want to that doesn't cause any issues. I avoid added and unnatural sugars, I avoid white breads, but I don't not eat them ever. I focus on the protein and veggies first, but I still eat other things.

You are not living on Protein and vegetables life long. Amen!

I would hate to see someone researching this site or new. Thinking that they are only going to eat protein and vegetables life long.

Edited by skinnylife

So from the time I was cleared for Stage 4 or 5 foods (diet for life), we had this instruction:

1. Add new foods slowly, 1 thing at a time to note any reactions or intolerance.

2. Eat Protein first, followed by low glycemic veggies, including small amounts of healthy fats (olive oil, avocado, nuts, seeds). Include whole grains and low glycemic carbohydrates and fruit if room is left. (Avoid added sugars, white rice, Pasta and potatoes.)

Most of my meals consist of: That's usually about 90-98% of my diet about 90-98% of the time.

lean Proteins (mostly fish-salmon, white flaky fish, shrimp/shellfish, chicken, turkey, sometimes very lean pork, beef, and also venison/lamb/bison/emu/ostrich)

crap tons of leafy greens (at least 2 meals and I try for 3 meals to include either raw or cooked leafy greens + mushrooms)

crap tons of low glycemic veggies concentrating on the brassica, cruciferous, allium, summer squash, and lily families

a modicum of daily Prebiotic fibers from things like (inulin, psyllium husks, oat Fiber (diff from oat flour), jicama, asparagus, onions/leeks/garlic, sometimes a few beans)

at least 1 or 2 servings of lacto fermented veggies such as Kim Chi and Sauerkraut.

sometimes a "snack meal or breakfast" with a combo of plain FF Greek yogurt, a little 2% cottage cheese and dark berries, or I will have a snack with 2oz of GS apple with peel and 1Tbsp of nut butter or almonds/walnuts/pecans

I add 1 fat to each meal now--usually in the form of either evoo, avocado oil, avocados, nuts, seeds, nut butters.

If there is something that I absolutely want I will eat it. I will have a cheat meal (not a day...just 1 meal) whenever I feel like it. But I try to account for that meal before I ever indulge and make concessions to be super light the rest of the day, or make sure I've done some strength building exercises and done plenty of my walking that day in addition to eating light the remainder of the day. If I want a bite of contraband...I will take that bite and leave the rest. I will usually order a good meal to oppose that "wicked stray bite."

I've lost 70lbs in 8 months post op and have lost 135+lbs in the past 18months. I've lived this way for most of 18 years and feel ABSOLUTELY zero deprivation. It's just the way I eat and anticipate eating this way for the rest of my life. I still refer to it as a diet. I always will. I plan. I plan to live my diet for success and the second it quits working, I will modify, modify, modify!

Edited by FluffyChix

4 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

So from the time I was cleared for Stage 4 or 5 foods (diet for life), we had this instruction:

1. Add new foods slowly, 1 thing at a time to note any reactions or intolerance.

2. Eat Protein first, followed by low glycemic veggies, including small amounts of healthy fats (olive oil, avocado, nuts, seeds). Include whole grains and low glycemic carbohydrates and fruit if room is left. (Avoid added sugars, white rice, Pasta and potatoes.)

Most of my meals consist of: That's usually about 90-98% of my diet about 90-98% of the time.

lean Proteins (mostly fish-salmon, white flaky fish, shrimp/shellfish, chicken, turkey, sometimes very lean pork, beef, and also venison/lamb/bison/emu/ostrich)

crap tons of leafy greens (at least 2 meals and I try for 3 meals to include either raw or cooked leafy greens + mushrooms)

crap tons of low glycemic veggies concentrating on the brassica, cruciferous, allium, summer squash, and lily families

a modicum of daily Prebiotic fibers from things like (inulin, psyllium husks, oat Fiber (diff from oat flour), jicama, asparagus, onions/leeks/garlic, sometimes a few beans)

at least 1 or 2 servings of lacto fermented veggies such as Kim Chi and Sauerkraut.

sometimes a "snack meal or breakfast" with a combo of plain FF Greek yogurt, a little 2% cottage cheese and dark berries, or I will have a snack with 2oz of GS apple with peel and 1Tbsp of nut butter or almonds/walnuts/pecans

I add 1 fat to each meal now--usually in the form of either evoo, avocado oil, avocados, nuts, seeds, nut butters.

If there is something that I absolutely want I will eat it. I will have a cheat meal (not a day...just 1 meal) whenever I feel like it. But I try to account for that meal before I ever indulge and make concessions to be super light the rest of the day, or make sure I've done some strength building exercises and done plenty of my walking that day in addition to eating light the remainder of the day. If I want a bite of contraband...I will take that bite and leave the rest. I will usually order a good meal to oppose that "wicked stray bite."

I've lost 70lbs in 8 months post op and have lost 135+lbs in the past 18months. I've lived this way for most of 18 years and feel ABSOLUTELY zero deprivation. It's just the way I eat and anticipate eating this way for the rest of my life. I still refer to it as a diet. I always will. I plan. I plan to live my diet for success and the second it quits working, I will modify, modify, modify!

So this is your weight loss plan above. Have you received different plan instructions for maintaining?

13 minutes ago, skinnylife said:

So this is your weight loss plan above. Have you received different plan instructions for maintaining?

No, other than to add the full fat versions of food such as, real vinaigrette with olive oil instead of WF zero cal stuff, full fat cottage cheese rather than 2%, same with Grk yogurt (full fat rather than ff), regular cheese rather than low fat cheese. Then to add a snack or a 4th small meal composed of calorie dense food rather than volume such as 2tbsp nut butter with 2oz of an apple or 1ounce of almonds + berries. She would ideally like me to add back some whole grains if I can tolerate them, but works within my needs cuz of the high insulin levels still hanging around and the higher blood sugars hanging around...oh and to switch to fattier cuts of meat: chicken thighs rather than breasts, salmon rather than cod, that sort of thing. Neither of us think that it will be difficult to raise me to the point of maintenance--maybe 250-300 extra cals per day based on what I've experienced so far and my blood work. She knows I don't tolerate grains well...