Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision from sleeve to bypass

Hello all. Just visited with my Dr. 5 years post sleeve start weight 239 current weight 200. I lost 69 pounds max got down to 170. Now here I am. I have a hiatal hernia from my first sleeve and the worst acid reflux. Dr tells me I should have had the bypass from the start. The only way to fix things is to do the bypass. I workout 4 x a week and still diet with no results other than feeling healthy and young but still overweight. I've gotten to where I don't even care about the weight loss from the surgery anymore just want to be healthy and keep doing what I'm doing. Has anyone else experienced this and has the surgery and what were your results?

Hi! I had almost your same exact scenario. I had the sleeve 5 years ago at 275. I lost almost 100 lbs in the first year but after the first year i struggled to maintain my weight even exercising and sticking to the diet. I slowly gained back to up 235 (5 years out) and had severe reflux and my hiatal hernia was recurrent. So on 9/10/18 i had a revision from sleeve to bypass, revision of my hiatal hernia repair and my gallbladder removed. I had a rough start after surgery. I sailed thorough my sleeve recover 5 years ago easily so i though this would be the same. But I had a lot of trouble getting my fluids in and i got dehydrated and had to get IV liquids the first week and i ended up with a partial bowel obstruction the second week and back in the hospital for 5 days. The sleeve to bypass transition as been harder than i expected. I just didn't expect the surgery and adapting to the bypass stomach to be so different from the sleeve. The first month for me was very hard and i struggled to get in fluids and calories. I had a lot of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, but i think a lot of that stemmed from the problems with the partial bowel obstruction. I am 6 weeks out now and doing much better. I still struggled with hitting my fluids goal and my new pouch is very grumpy at times so it doesn't like alot of things..lol But i have found foods that are gentle to my stomach and I getting my energy level back up. I have always able to eat pretty much anything i wanted, even after the sleeve surgery nothing really bothered my stomach. Spicy, beef, rich or fried food etc.. This was both a blessing and a curse, but after the bypass my stomach is very sensitive. So far and i have to be very careful trying new things because my bypass pouch will let me know quickly if she doesn't like it. Good luck with your surgery what ever you decide. I hope my post doesn't scare you off. Although, my complications can happen they are not the norm. I admit had times the last 6 week that i had "buyers remorse" ( which is pretty normal) and though what have i done. But now that i am gaining my strength back and staring to feel better, and i am losing i feel like this was the right decision for me,a nd these complication and limitations will help keep me on the right path to success. As of today I have lost 35lb (counting my 2 week preop liquid diet). They say revision patients will lose slower than first time WLS patients, but i am happy with my progress so far. I had a 2 week staff after the 3rd week, and i just started losing again. Hopefully, It will continue! Best of luck to you! Keep us posted!

Thank you so much for your reply. I am scared of being sick after that was the first reason I didn't do the bypass from the beginning. My Dr is very well known and he assures me I will be fine. Still worries me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Me too i was concerned about dumping syndrome and rerouting my intestine. My worry was what if I decided to do this surgery and go from being a perfectly healthy person (other than being overweight) to choosing to have this surgery and what if i am sick all the time after? Then when i had the complications i beat myself up that i shouldn't have had the surgery and my fears had come true. I worried what if this is how it will always be, and i always feel terrible. and nauseous and weak and sick. But that stage passes and you improve and learn how to deal with your new stomach. It has been and continues to be an adjustment, and learning phase for me, but i feel like i am on the upswing now and that i made the right decision.

That's good to hear. Thank you for your response. [emoji4] I will know by the end of the year what I'm going to do.

Hello all. Just visited with my Dr. 5 years post sleeve start weight 239 current weight 200. I lost 69 pounds max got down to 170. Now here I am. I have a hiatal hernia from my first sleeve and the worst acid reflux. Dr tells me I should have had the bypass from the start. The only way to fix things is to do the bypass. I workout 4 x a week and still diet with no results other than feeling healthy and young but still overweight. I've gotten to where I don't even care about the weight loss from the surgery anymore just want to be healthy and keep doing what I'm doing. Has anyone else experienced this and has the surgery and what were your results?
Like you, I had a sleeve also. Ultimately I lost 110 pounds and have regained 60 if those pounds. As I write this, I'm sitting in the hospital waiting to be discharged. I had a revision to a bypass on this past Saturday so I'm 3 days out of surgery. I didn't have any acid reflux, I just felt like a failure and knew that I was still very unhealthy and unhappy. This particular surgeon requires that his patients follow a clear liquid diet for 3 weeks following surgery and right now that seems to be my issue. I'm ready for my Protein Shakes.< br>
Sent from my SM-G930P using BariatricPal mobile app

12 hours ago, samdenise said:

Like you, I had a sleeve also. Ultimately I lost 110 pounds and have regained 60 if those pounds. As I write this, I'm sitting in the hospital waiting to be discharged. I had a revision to a bypass on this past Saturday so I'm 3 days out of surgery. I didn't have any acid reflux, I just felt like a failure and knew that I was still very unhealthy and unhappy. This particular surgeon requires that his patients follow a clear liquid diet for 3 weeks following surgery and right now that seems to be my issue. I'm ready for my Protein Shakes.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BariatricPal mobile app

Awesome! I want to keep in touch see how it goes for you. Take it slow and take care.

I’m 5 weeks post op from sleeve to GBP and everything I eat comes right back up. The only thing I can eat is the oatmeal less sugar in those litttle packets. Yogurt sometimes good sometimes bad. Wendys puréed chili ok, scrambled eggs nope. Would I be concerned? Lost 24 lbs since surgery
I questioned my Dr about this and he told me that if you eat what you're not supposed to is when you get the dumping and nausea. Then what do you eat? That concerns me. But your weight loss is good [emoji106]

if that is true and no reason to say it isn't Precious Pouch must not think I need any solids or purees. I hope her 7 week reign of terror ends Friday when they stretch my stoma!!!