Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you choose a goal weight?

4 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Ha! Good for you. We all have to do "ourselves."

I'm 56 years old and no forkin way do I want to go quietly into that dark night of looking like my mom or granma. I wanna be smokin hot, and look like I'm Miss Behavin' so people look at me and wonder what I'm up to and why I'm having so much fun! I also want them thinking I'm a much younger sister to my real self. LOL.

My sis is 67 and is a stone cold fox who people think is so much younger than she is--actually, younger than me--cuz she's tiny and has a knockout figure, personality and puts herself together so well. She's my role model.

IMG_3884_Month8_156lbs_maskedweb.thumb.jpg.6ff299f93fb8ca75fc4460e0b9995d21.jpg

You are a hottie..... Never behave!

download.jpg

18 minutes ago, skinnylife said:

I hope I look good and rock my loose skin.

Ha! Loose skin indeed! Girl, you rock, period! And you give me encouragement that we lose as much as we can to get to our healthy weights where we can do everything we've always wanted to do and the skin is gonna take care of itself. Cuz I know you, and see little if any evidence of loose skin. I'm not lyin'!! You continue to inspire me to be a better and better me and to not settle just cuz some statistic says that's "how much I can or am supposed to lose." :) Congrats on 124lbs lost!!! That's amazing and phenomenal! And congrats on continuing to maintain your losses and take care of business when the scale wants to make you its little bi*ch!!!! Again...goes to inspiration and you rocking the casbah!!!

I have lose skin. Under my arms and even below the elbow a bit, I really dislike. My tummy, though? Well that’s ok by me. I am 56, no one ses it apart from my significant other who says it is a gloriously soft pillow!

My thighs look a bit like elephant skin. Not fond of it, but I most-of-all am annoyed that my calves, not at all wrinkley, have lost NO inches at all. Hence no wrinkles. If I have to chose - I happily take the wrinkles and lose folds in exchange for the 100 lbs of fat I lost since RNY, or the 130-odd since high-weight. I LOVE being half myself! And I show it off. Gardening at goal weight - love my new dungarees, second hand, $10 - some Idaho farmer chick who’re them before me!

A2410144-6079-4D48-9A44-4D813891573E.jpeg

I picked 127 because I haven't been that weight since I was probably 14 years old--and I think with proper diet and exercise I can easily get there (3lbs away). But 125 is my "HOLY CRUD YOU GOT SKINNY" goal. But for some reason the two pounds between those two goals are daunting!

I just kind of laugh because my doctor told me to aim for 160. xD No thank you.

Edited by redhead_che

I chose a goal weight that was more or less unattainable. After giving birth to four children, it's unrealistic to expect to shrink back to the same body. Men have no idea! I picked 130 lbs because, for my height (5' 6"), it's reasonable... but not for someone with my physical history. By picking a goal weight that is beyond the finish line, I feel I'll always have something to keep working toward. By picking an attainable "goal weight", I thought it might make me complacent and, therefore, feeling that I no longer needed to keep working on my weight.

On October 21, 2018 at 9:49 PM, Biddy zz said:

I have lose skin. Under my arms and even below the elbow a bit, I really dislike. My tummy, though? Well that’s ok by me. I am 56, no one ses it apart from my significant other who says it is a gloriously soft pillow!

My thighs look a bit like elephant skin. Not fond of it, but I most-of-all am annoyed that my calves, not at all wrinkley, have lost NO inches at all. Hence no wrinkles. If I have to chose - I happily take the wrinkles and lose folds in exchange for the 100 lbs of fat I lost since RNY, or the 130-odd since high-weight. I LOVE being half myself! And I show it off. Gardening at goal weight - love my new dungarees, second hand, $10 - some Idaho farmer chick who’re them before me!

You look fab. I'm 57. How inspiring. I love your waspy waist. I love imaging a waist narrower than my hips!

I hate my upper underarm flab. It's a lousy dancer, too. I see myself destined to elbow-length sleeves. One pleasant surprise is that my once double chin is now taut. I dreaded a floppy turkey neck. Didn't happen. My thighs and other core areas look oddly shocking, but because they will remain private, I'm not terribly concerned with their lumpy-dumpy look. I can live with that, as long as I can cover those areas with fabric that doesn't show my contours.

I'm not interested in a "hot body". That's never been my mindset. Actually, I find the whole idea of being on display for others to ogle unsettling, even when I was young. No judgments on others who enjoy exhibiting their bodies. I think my childhood sexual abuse has a lot to do with never wanting to be "seen" sexually. I don't find anything empowering about showing flesh. I admire and respect women who feel comfortable in their own skins, but that confidence disappeared when I was repeatedly violated as a child, ages 7-13. Miscarriage at age 12.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

Forgive my little tirade, Biddy zz. In no world I know is a pair of overalls, putting your body on exhibit. I was just venting. Our histories interrupt us at the most awkward of times. I apologize for stealing your thunder by calling attention to my past. It has nothing to do with your amazing accomplishments.:)

On 10/21/2018 at 9:49 PM, Biddy zz said:

You are so dang adorable and I LOVE the outfit!!! I just wanna put ya in my pocket and take ya home! :D You have this teensy weensy waste and bum and legs and i wanna either be you or @skinnylife when I grow up! :)

My doctor set the goal for 135 to 145 for me. I just kept working out and eating and I eventually landed at 116. At the time I was trying to conceive baby number 2 and doctor wanted me to gain 10 to 15 pounds. So, I did. Gained 30 pounds during pregnancy and only lost 10 of those before finding out I am pregnant with baby 3. Doctor thinks I need to stay around 140 to 150 for my body to be "happy". I am 145 now and 17 weeks pregnant so I will definitely gain some more but hope to be back down to 130 or 135 by my birthday next year.

7 hours ago, AnA92212 said:

My doctor set the goal for 135 to 145 for me. I just kept working out and eating and I eventually landed at 116. At the time I was trying to conceive baby number 2 and doctor wanted me to gain 10 to 15 pounds. So, I did. Gained 30 pounds during pregnancy and only lost 10 of those before finding out I am pregnant with baby 3. Doctor thinks I need to stay around 140 to 150 for my body to be "happy". I am 145 now and 17 weeks pregnant so I will definitely gain some more but hope to be back down to 130 or 135 by my birthday next year.

So happy about all your pregnancies and babies. Being pregnant, and breastfeeding, in particular, were some of the most rewarding and memorable events in my life. Despite what pregnancy does to a woman's body, I wouldn't give up those times for anything.

My initial goal was set by my doctor- it was 170-180. That would have had me losing the average amount for my weight loss surgery patients for my starting weight. I passed that and set a goal for 150 lbs. When I passed that, I lowered it to 135 lbs. I’m 130 now and trying to get to 125 lbs. I don’t know where I’ll stop. I lost 15 lbs after my brother died in August and am getting ready to go through a divorce so we’ll see where I end up. The extra skin bothers me but not as much as being 282 lbs bothered me.

Met with my primary care and surgeon in the last week and forgot to ask both of them about what my goal should be! Anyway, I'm 4 lbs away from my first goal where I qualify for that hip surgery, then I'll think of my next goal!

I discussed it with my nutritionist and we picked a number at the top of the healthy weight range. I don't want an overweight BMI after all this effort lol

One of my intermediate goals is to get my BMI down to 39. It's kind of a weird thing, but I am a medical coder, so I have to add BMI codes to charts all day long, and from 20 to 39, they get their own codes. Above and below that a range of several points will share a diagnosis code. And dang it, I want my BMI to have an individual code! Like i
I said, kind of a weird goal, but that's what I get for staring at patient charts all day lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

13 hours ago, Syrina said:

One of my intermediate goals is to get my BMI down to 39. It's kind of a weird thing, but I am a medical coder, so I have to add BMI codes to charts all day long, and from 20 to 39, they get their own codes. Above and below that a range of several points will share a diagnosis code.

That's fascinating, and not weird at all. At least as far as my hip replacement, no doctors would even talk to me if my BMI was over 40. I look forward to going into a doctor's office for a cold and not getting lectured about my weight.

45009519_10155952019301938_4760911410131632128_n.jpg