Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why I eat baked potatoes, brown rice and whole grain bread

^^^I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! (to @MIZ60 and @jess9395 )

The other thing that is hilarious is that "fat people are getting cancer cuz of eating massive amounts of dairy!" Excuse me but there are a substantial amount of fat mediated cancers. Which came first the chicken or the egg? The researches of these fat mediated cancers (of which hormone positive bc is one seem to say that the "Diabetes Type 3", meaning the progression of metabolic disease started the cascade toward obesity and over-expression of hormones from androgen conversion in the fat along with the insulin resistance and high blood sugars that set up rapid inflammation and upregulation of mTOR and igf1 (among other inflammatory factors) that led to the progression and genesis of these same fat mediated cancers.

In my case, when I was 6 months old dying of ITP, and receiving massive doses of prednisone to try to stem the rush of the ITP--and for the next 11 years of my life where I battled that "type of blood "cancer"" and had copious prednisone courses--more on than off, I was already set up for metabolic disease which is why I developed full-blown PCOS by the time I was 14--which later progressed into Diabetes Type 3 - hormone positive breast cancer. And my being fat--I hardly ate dairy my whole life--some small amounts of cheese, came AFTER the metabolic derangement. But of course, my diet that was super high dairy gave me that horrific Stage 3C disease. LOLOLOLOLOL.

You are so full of sh*t it is hard to even stand your presence on this board. Why don't you go back to school like you claim and ACTUALLY learn a thing or two about biochemistry before coming here and trying to assert your intellectual superiority here.

Edited by FluffyChix

https://mayoclinichealthsystem.org/-/media/local-files/eau-claire/documents/medical-services/bariatric-surgery/bariatric-surgery-keys-to-success.pdf?la=en&hash=62E02F70DE090F422E066410072C2500D4E3BF54

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/gastric-bypass-surgery/in-depth/gastric-bypass-diet/art-20048472

The second link was last updated in Sept 2018 so still valid. Not sure about the first link.

I would have previously assumed before now that most people would know that what works for them may not necessarily works for others.

For every single bit of research there is an opposing research that proves the opposite of the other. It's hard to sift through and find truly independent research..at the end of the day each one of us should go with what works for us. There will be trial and error, but determination should see us reach the best outcome for ourselves.

Edited by 2shea

On 10/19/2018 at 12:54 AM, Creekimp13 said:

Not trying to tell anyone they're doing it wrong.....just sayin'....there's more than one way to do it right:)

Most of everything you posted after this would infer you are telling people they are doing it wrong and that there is only one right way...

I guarantee if anyone that has WLS does not stay dedicated to there weight loss and proper nutrition meaning eating too many starchy carbs or sugar especially before they reach there goes weight they will gain it backI know to many people who have fallen into that trap.

They will gain it back if they eat too much of anything!

There was a story a while back in Oz about a guy that had a lot of weight to lose. He decided to go on a potato diet. Was that healthy or unhealthy? Do you think he lost or gained?

Click to see the full story and some of his before and after photos

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/diet/andrew-taylor-eats-nothing-but-potatoes-for-a-year-to-cure-his-food-addiction/news-story/41d8e6612679985fc9bf62e4b970ef15

If there was one perfect diet that worked for everyone, we would all be on it and looking fabulous.

It was extreme and I doubt many could stick it out like he did. It's great that he lost weight and regained health, be good to see his outcomes a year or two down the track. Also good would be see to his body composition...body fat vs lean body mass.

He ate between three to four kilos of potatoes a day, three kilos of potatoes (with skin) has approx 70gms Protein, 48gms fibre and 387gms of carb.

No one is saying there is anything wrong with carbs it is the way that the argument or topic is being presented. There are many bariatric post op diets - some focus on carbs, some focus on protein, some vegetarian, some vegan.

I doubt that many could stick to it either.

I posted it as an example of something that goes completely against what most of us think of as a healthy diet but in this instance it did turn out to be very successful.

The problem with diets is that dieticians can't seem to figure out what constitutes a healthy diet and they change their minds more often than most of us change our underwear!

Butter vs Marg

Fat vs Sugar

Hi or lo carb

Hi or lo Protein

No more than 1 egg per week etc

Interestingly one of the periods when the British were at their healthiest was during World War 2 when they had rationing. Items such as meat, butter, eggs and sugar were scarce and were rationed. Their diet consisted of lots of root vegetables, tinned meat, any game they could shoot, lard instead of butter etc. They ate mock banana ( parsnip) and other substitute foods

One of the most famous recipes of the time was Woolton Pie

I’ve been told that foods like rice and potatoes aren’t good for you. My dietary counselor was telling me that I should keep away from them. She offered things like zucchini noodles and cauliflower “rice”. How do you feel about them?

I love cauliflower as a rice or mashed potato substitute. Sadly it costs a lot more though.

On 10/21/2018 at 00:34, WellsK1959 said:

I’ve been told that foods like rice and potatoes aren’t good for you. My dietary counselor was telling me that I should keep away from them. She offered things like zucchini noodles and cauliflower “rice”. How do you feel about them?
All things in moderation. But white flour, white rice, white Pasta, and white potatoes are carbs that turn into sugar in your body to simplify things. I hope to have quarter cup of brown rice or wheat pasta and yams occasionally on my new diet. Mashed vegetables like cauliflower are healthier for most people that potatoes, and once you get used to them, they are delicious.

11 hours ago, elcee said:

I doubt that many could stick to it either.

I posted it as an example of something that goes completely against what most of us think of as a healthy diet but in this instance it did turn out to be very successful.

The problem with diets is that dieticians can't seem to figure out what constitutes a healthy diet and they change their minds more often than most of us change our underwear!

Butter vs Marg

Fat vs Sugar

Hi or lo carb

Hi or lo Protein

No more than 1 egg per week etc

Interestingly one of the periods when the British were at their healthiest was during World War 2 when they had rationing. Items such as meat, butter, eggs and sugar were scarce and were rationed. Their diet consisted of lots of root vegetables, tinned meat, any game they could shoot, lard instead of butter etc. They ate mock banana ( parsnip) and other substitute foods

One of the most famous recipes of the time was Woolton Pie

You didn't mention this, but their flour was rationed and consumption extremely limited, as were fruits. You just listed a host of confounding items. Also limited as you mentioned is sugar. So during this time, they limited sugar, flour, fruits, baked goods. They ate high fat tinned meats, high fat butter (limited), real meat was limited, eggs/bacon as was alcohol and beer were limited...many fasted but def observed a calorie restricted diets.

BUT, the issue with the people who do low carb or Keto is NOT that it's our way or the highway, or that we believe and say that ALL people MUST low carb or die...the issue is with having alternate agendas so rudely and repetitively shoved down our throats and lambasted for believing in the efficacy of our woe (way of eating).

The other issue is having our dietary choice misrepresented by nonfactual BS. And most of us are sick of it. Cuz the OP posts it OVER and OVER and OVER ad nauseum. Like it's being shoved down our throats with the force of Thor's mighty hammer.

Most of us who are objecting are all in the same camp: THERE IS NO ONE DIET that is suitable for everyone! LOL. We pretty much all agree that we must find our own path through the woods to arrive at a sustainable liveable diet that turns into a forever lifestyle. And that is A-okey-dokey with us!!!!

I'm glad this high carb diet works for OP and others. I am. More power to them. They clearly did not have the same degree of metabolic derangement or medications that necessitate a low carb, adequate Protein, lower fat diet as I have. LOL. That's ok. LOL. The even bigger question is why then, if they can now magically tolerate all manner of carbs, why did they get so fat they needed bariatric surgery? And how is their lifestyle modified so they won't repeat history?

But I do hope we all agree, that you wouldn't give a diabetic or pre-diabetic heaps and heaps of carbs and expect their insulin levels and blood sugars to improve. At least I hope that's a universal understanding cuz if it isn't, then someone is engaging in magical thinking.

And btw, wouldn't it be fun? Let's all make a pact to meet back here in 3-5 years and measure our success with pics, weights, and tape measures.

Edited by FluffyChix

Well the good news is that weight is a huge contributor to cancer and other major health issues... so if you drop the weight you are way ahead regardless of what type of diet. I don’t know the percentages or stats, but I’m guessing if you lose weight but eat mostly animal Protein you are still probably at less risk than having not done anything.

Unfortunately human nutrition is not as well understood as other things (it’s REALLY complex). I bet in 50 or 100 years people might look back in horror at the stuff we put in our bodies today

9 hours ago, elcee said:

I love cauliflower as a rice or mashed potato substitute. Sadly it costs a lot more though.

If cost is a factor on the bagged rice or mashed cauliflower for you. You can make your own.