Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why I eat baked potatoes, brown rice and whole grain bread

On 10/19/2018 at 09:21, FluffyChix said:

@jess9395 I'm not 100% certain, but I vaguely remember I think she said somewhere that she came back to post a while so she can get her BP discount for Protein muffins or something like that? IDK, though, my keto-addled brain might be making that up? (Good to see you btw!)

Ahhh well goodness that makes sense and I guess stirring the pot gets her lots of credits bc she can post responses and such.

I hope for her sake in a few years she is not back where she started cause too many (good carbs) dont stert being cake,potato chips, candy, and surgary soda.And dont knock animal Protein ....miss pigy,bamby,yard bird,elsey the cow,and bambys mom tast oh so yummy

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3988204/

Highlights

1. High Protein intake linked to increased cancer, diabetes, and overall mortality.
  2. High IGF-1 levels increased the relationship between mortality and high protein.
  3. Higher protein diet may be protective for older adults.
  4. Low protein intake in mice resulted in reduced IGF-1 and tumor progression.

The full conclusion of the study provided is.... "A low-carbohydrate diet based on animal sources was associated with higher all-cause mortality in both men and women, whereas a vegetable-based low-carbohydrate diet was associated with lower all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality rates."

Another fact is that different people have different levels of "carb-sensitivity" based on their own physiology.

The only helpful take away from this research/discussion, for bariatric patients, is to make a continual effort to replace animal Proteins with vegetable proteins in their diets. Healthy, non-processed carbs should be added carefully, over time, as your healthy BMI allows.

On 10/18/2018 at 9:54 AM, Creekimp13 said:

Yep, I eat them all. Love them. They're a daily part of my diet. Sometimes multiple times a day.

OMG, they're carbs!

Yep, they are. But they're not refined, over-processed, or bad.

And you know what else they are?

Excellent sources of plant based Protein and Fiber.

A baked potato has 160 calories. By itself, it has 4g of Protein. Throw some vegetarian chili on there and you're in the high teens. Awesome lunch!

Brown rice...half a cup has around 100 calories and 3g of protein. Add some bean or peas and you've got complete amino acids...tons of protein... and a crazy awesome amount of Fiber.

Why is dietary fiber important? To grow good gut bugs. Your microbiota and the health of your gut (and metabolism) depend on happy little bacteria. The strains of gut bugs that live in the guts of skinny people....have a favorite food: dietary fiber. Feed your good bugs good things and they'll be good to you.

They like to eat fruit, veggies, Beans, whole wheat bread...

Whole wheat bread? I eat this A LOT:)

For instance.....A lite Thomas English wheat muffin has 5g of protein for 100 calories. This dietary powerhouse has 8g of dietary fiber! Smear that sucker with your favorite nut butter or fruit preserves, and you're in business.

One of my favorite go-to dinners these days...... is fresh homemade wheat bread with 16 veggie soup...and fruit for dessert.

I eat about four servings of fruit a day...and that's not even counting the watermelon I huddle over in the car while hissing "My Precious...." LOL:)

A banana is not "a candy bar" A banana is a wonderful healthy food. I eat lots of them. Hell, I have a Yonanas that makes them into ice cream. They're terrific.

Normal weight does not HAVE to mean giving up carbs. It means being carb smart, balancing, and making mindful choices.

More than one way to do this whole thing.

Weight loss success does not mean ONLY eating meat for the rest of your life with broccoli on the side. That's great once in a while, though!

Not trying to tell anyone they're doing it wrong.....just sayin'....there's more than one way to do it right:)

Extreme thinking, extreme dieting, extreme self denial....is not sustainable.

Work on a forever diet you can live with.

Be mindful, be accountable....but be kind to yourself.

Thanks for the post, I like seeing different perspectives.....keeps the mind open! Question, what's your work out/exercise routine like? I'm looking at higher Carb options and seeing what the exercise lifestyle of the higher carbs success people are like. Thanks!

I liked your post because I like carbs. But eating too many carbs, "bad" carbs, calories, sugar, fried food, ethnic food, etc. got me to the point where I hopped under the knife Monday.

I think the research and trends on diets go in cycles and obviously different things work for different people. Weight loss research is particularly hard to parse because entities like food and drug companies fund a lot of the research.

In the 80s many dieters were on low fat diets. Fat was a dirty word and we ate carbs, did aerobics, and some lost weight.

Now some of my friends are doing Keto and some are doing high Protein.

I've been told there may still be small amounts of tortellini in my healthy future. And I'm happy about that.

3 hours ago, Rexcom said:

The full conclusion of the study provided is.... "A low-carbohydrate diet based on animal sources was associated with higher all-cause mortality in both men and women, whereas a vegetable-based low-carbohydrate diet was associated with lower all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality rates."

Yes...animal Proteins are what cause increased cancer/cardiovascular disease/mortality.

Which is why I get more of my needed Protein from healthy vegetable based sources like baked potatos, brown rice, and whole grain bread:) These vegetable-based proteins are awesome. As are Beans, nuts, seeds, etc.

https://www.pcrm.org/health/cancer-resources/ask/ask-the-expert-dairy-products

On 10/18/2018 at 9:35 AM, Creekimp13 said:

https://www.rd.com/health/conditions/this-diet-could-stop-cancer-from-spreading/

Whole grains, Beans and fruits important for preventing cancer.

I always go to Readers Digest and the Chicago Tribune for my medical information... they are right on the cutting edge.😂😂😂

On 10/18/2018 at 9:35 AM, Creekimp13 said:

https://www.rd.com/health/conditions/this-diet-could-stop-cancer-from-spreading/

Whole grains, Beans and fruits important for preventing cancer.

I always go to Readers Digest and the Chicago Tribune for my medical information... they are right on the cutting edge.😂😂😂

The average bariatric patient gets a massive amount of their Protein from Protein Drinks, Protein Bars, yogurt, cheese and milk. And they are encouraged to.

Dairy products are strongly correlated to breast cancer, ovarian cancer, prostate cancer . No one discusses this, and fat people are getting thrown out of the frying pan into the fire. And it sucks because they work so hard to be healthy.

The lack of education is staggering.

I few like I’m in a used car lot. I question one of your points (you say low carb doesn’t “work” I say it does for some) and you wave your hands and talk about something else.

You say you’re leaving and I ask why you didn’t and you change the subject.

I point out you are trying to make sure other paths are represented and not slammed on I point out you are doing slamming of your own you wave your hands (throw out articles and stats) to change the focus, ignore my comments and questions and talk about something else.

As someone who fully does believe there is no one right path I challenge your stance that you are just pointing out an alternate one. You a fully saying yours is the only right one and that the rest of us will be sorry later that we didn’t follow yours (ie the higher carb one that emphasized plant protein). Just come out and be honest.

1 hour ago, Creekimp13 said:

Apparently Miz failed to open the link and follow the links to the studies.

Sure I did. The RD one was linked to and specific to post cancer nutrition which is not the purpose of this site. The CT one cited a small 8 year ago study in Poland that looked at Protein intake as a solitary factor and tried to draw a cause and effect relationship while leaving out many other variables.

It is exactly like people that do not want to vaccinate their kids. You can find many "experts" that support no vaccinations, that state vaccines clearly cause autism and validate what ignorant people want to do which is not vaccinate their children against deadly diseases.

There is probably a study to support eating a diet of peanut M&Ms and Little Debbies if you look hard enough.

1 hour ago, Creekimp13 said:

The average bariatric patient gets a massive amount of their Protein from Protein Drinks, Protein Bars, yogurt, cheese and milk. And they are encouraged to.

Dairy products are strongly correlated to breast cancer, ovarian cancer, prostate cancer . No one discusses this, and fat people are getting thrown out of the frying pan into the fire. And it sucks because they work so hard to be healthy.

The lack of education is staggering.

The average bariatric patient does not get a massive amount of anything. At almost 6 months out I use about 7 ounces of premiere Protein Shake daily in my coffee...you said before that you do this to. I do not eat Protein Bars, only an ounce or less of natural cheese a day, plain Greek yogurt maybe 3 times a month and have not had milk in over 6 months. I do take the recommended calcium citrate.

Sorry but this particular rant is really crazy. Fat people are getting cancer because that eat massive amounts of dairy?

Post a link to that study please, I would really like to see it and share with some of my friends at high risk for breast cancer due to family history.