Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

18 months post op

16 hours ago, Lola4rmKona said:

Hey guys, haven't been here for a while and thought I'd check in. Still losing slowly but surely. Ladies, stay away from wine and other new addictions that might take over where food once reigned! Lol. Keep to your goals and do you. Every journey is different so never compare yourself to others. At 18 months postoperative I thought I would have figured it all out by now. That is not the case. I still am mindful of my Protein and calories intake as well as liquids. Still on my Quest for Vitamins that I can settle on (have tried gummies, pills, patches). Still eat with my eyes and have to remind myself food is simply fuel and not a party. Still have to remind myself I have lost the weight and to stop ordering 3 sizes too big because it might not fit. The list goes on but wherever you are in your journey, you are doing great and you will reach your goal. Might not be tomorrow but keep working at it and you will get there. Most importantly, if you have an off day, dont beat yourself up about it and continue forward. For those of you dealing with naysayers of all sorts, I say do you. Your future self will thank you for it. Who I am now am very thankful for the me 18 months ago. My pictures below say it all. I got to a point where I was so miserable, I rarely took pictures and continued eating myself to death because it was my escape. I posted preop pic, one year anniversary, and most recent. Good luck everyone.Take care and Aloha!
Flo
Surgery Day: 4/11/17
HW: 312
PreOp after 2 week liquid diet: 302
PostOp at 18 mths: 219NOTABLE-00011.thumb.jpeg.7b833a732c71ce2fd0857f7379d87a6d.jpeg IMG_20180625_0933297.thumb.jpeg.382c85601b73e6adafa0a6996431a7f9.jpeg inf_1536905945711.thumb.jpeg.0e4841872fc65be8481055b8fec33a1f.jpeg
Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

You look amazing.... are you maintaining or do you still want to lose.

Congrats on your progress!! You look great!!!!!

You look amazing.... are you maintaining or do you still want to lose.
Aloha Njgurl! I am still losing. According to my doctor prior to surgery, I should have lost around 100 lbs at 1 year and slowed down after that. My problem was that I started loving my wine a little too much after surgery than I ever did before it. What I discovered is that for every week I had some, I would not lose for almost a month afterwards. The moment I stop for at least a week, I start dropping pounds again. The upside to that has been a slower loss than anticipated resulting in less lose skin for me. The downside is the disappointment I feel when the scale does not budge. The motivation comes in wanting to see movement on that scale. Thus, I return to accountability and following my plan like I am supposed to That is why we are warned against alcohol because even if we still eat less, I find that I am not as mindful of carb intake when it comes to Snacks with alcohol. I am still working my way towards at least 185. Like my doctor says, it did not take me a short amount of time putting on the weight so dont expect it all to disappear in a short time even with the surgery. I have heard some great success stories but again, everyone's journey is different, therefore we all lose differently.

7 hours ago, Lola4rmKona said:

Aloha Njgurl! I am still losing. According to my doctor prior to surgery, I should have lost around 100 lbs at 1 year and slowed down after that. My problem was that I started loving my wine a little too much after surgery than I ever did before it. What I discovered is that for every week I had some, I would not lose for almost a month afterwards. The moment I stop for at least a week, I start dropping pounds again. The upside to that has been a slower loss than anticipated resulting in less lose skin for me. The downside is the disappointment I feel when the scale does not budge. The motivation comes in wanting to see movement on that scale. Thus, I return to accountability and following my plan like I am supposed to That is why we are warned against alcohol because even if we still eat less, I find that I am not as mindful of carb intake when it comes to Snacks with alcohol. I am still working my way towards at least 185. Like my doctor says, it did not take me a short amount of time putting on the weight so dont expect it all to disappear in a short time even with the surgery. I have heard some great success stories but again, everyone's journey is different, therefore we all lose differently.

I think as African-American women we have a different goal as far as weight loss, 185 is a good goal. My thing was I want to be proportioned not skinny so im good at 198 because at 5'6" I look a lot smaller than the number anyway. Good luck on your journey you can do it 👍🏾.

On 10/18/2018 at 6:51 AM, Njgurl said:

I think as African-American women we have a different goal as far as weight loss, 185 is a good goal. My thing was I want to be proportioned not skinny so im good at 198 because at 5'6" I look a lot smaller than the number anyway. Good luck on your journey you can do it 👍🏾.

The only problem with this logic is the you *might* be possibly teetering close to the edge of recurrence of health issues at that range. But I'm not a doctor. What does your team think?

Instead of BMI or a certain look, maybe check out what weight range puts you out of the path of XYZ.

(Unsolicited advice, I know. Im Sorry. I used to think I had a certain body type as an AA that I'm finding out I don't have, possible never did. So I'm no longer relying solely on a certain look as an indicator of health. YMMV 😊)

Edited by GreenTealael

You look great!! Keep up the hard work!!

On 10/19/2018 at 4:52 PM, GreenTealael said:

The only problem with this logic is the you *might* be possibly teetering close to the edge of recurrence of health issues at that range. But I'm not a doctor. What does your team think?

Instead of BMI or a certain look, maybe check out what weight range puts you out of the path of XYZ.

(Unsolicited advice, I know. Im Sorry. I used to think I had a certain body type as an AA that I'm finding out I don't have, possible never did. So I'm no longer relying solely on a certain look as an indicator of health. YMMV 😊)

Well isn't that what the BMI indicates your health status, my team is fine with it and I am in a healthy range than before. Just remember being too thin is also unhealthy but I get it being overwieght for so long everyobe wants to see what it's like being skinny but to that's only going from one extreme time the next. I'm all about being proportioned and at this wieght I definitely am. Good luck to finding your comfort zone.

16 minutes ago, Njgurl said:

Well isn't that what the BMI indicates your health status, my team is fine with it and I am in a healthy range than before. Just remember being too thin is also unhealthy but I get it being overwieght for so long everyobe wants to see what it's like being skinny but to that's only going from one extreme time the next. I'm all about being proportioned and at this wieght I definitely am. Good luck to finding your comfort zone.

Very true, as long as you and your team are happy you will do great!