Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sick and thirsty and regretting

@smm86

Everything you posted I experienced as well. I was really annoyed that I seemed to feel more bad than good and even though I was cleared to progress I couldn’t hack it with Water (I liked sparkles too before I had to cut them out), I had a hard time with eggs, I ate tuna salad ok, but the lunch meats and cheese went down ok - just didn’t like them. Ground turkey went down, but sat like a ball of lead. chicken was a major “no” and my taste buds rejected anything with sucralose.

I went back to liquids and mushy foods and stayed there longer than the NUT required. I ate all kinds of Soups and started smoothies with spinach, using Greek yogurt and bipro Protein water as my wet ingredient. Protein powders were a firm no to my taste buds.

And for me, it worked. I had to continue Premier Protein to ensure I had enough protein and calories (was hovering below 500 when I was going through it) and still have yet to meet a water goal — but the step back was really helpful for me.

After a week of going back to mushy and liquids, I tried refried black Beans, turkey chili w/beans, and egg salad. Success! I’m still kind of doing wet and soft foods but I’m able to tolerate flavors and spices better and I get a better sensation in my stomach when I’m eating.

I did feel terribly tired for about three weeks. Just freaking exhausted. So... you’re normal, love. I think your instincts will take you far.

Still trying to figure out the Multivitamin situation for myself. I vomit every time I take it.

On 10/19/2018 at 03:34, Frustr8 said:

Well, as a RNY instead, I do still have my stomach, I instead asked my surgeon to make it largely non-functional. Does this give me a leg up. on sleevers? I'm not certain it does. At 6 weeks if I regret something it is the fact that I never feel full and never satisfied. I take in what I can, stop after designated amounts, try to keep all my counts proper, sufficent Fluid, adequate Protein,pray that my still meagre liquid diet is providing me sufficent calories to keep me until another day. But my skin is now dry and leathery, my lips are perpetually cracked, I keep ingesting Vitamins, minerals, omeprazole, Zofran and Carafate, is it benefiting me or just something to keep me busy? I do not looks forward to losing my hair, although it is probably inevitable. Obesity was slowly killing me, but did I merely trade it. for malabsorption, dehydration and a deficiency diet? Is there any. guarantee I have not jumped from the frying pan into the 🔥? I know of no other bypass veteran in my city of 20,000, I had to travel 50 miles to even find a bariatric surgeon. I have not seen him since shortly after my surgery, I am palmed off on Nurse-Practioners now,nice enough people but are they giving true consul or merely mouthing the company line?

Walking the walk? I do try but when you are light-headed it's not very easy. Try to keep my exercise at the level I don't pop tendons, rear ligaments, these muscles and. bones have to last the rest of my life. Have already repalaced a few joints, but they are 85% as good as the natural thing. I do not know if I have buyers remiss but at this point I do question the outlay of my insurances monies for this operation. I now have 7 small scars, was it the right trade-off? I have sacrificed myself but have I improved life, health and my future? At this point, IDK, I just don't know.😪💦😪
Just hang in there. You are still getting used to things as is your body. Think long game not these short game discomforts. It’s a bit overwhelming right now but things will settle eventually. The hair will likely fall. I’m in the midst of that right now, but it grows back. I’ve lost mine twice before. You learn how unimportant hair is when you consider the larger picture of your health and life.
Frustr8, it may feel like you jumped into the fire but this is all new to you and you’ve had a couple hitches in your recovery, thus far. Soon it will just be a blip on your timeline. The Vitamin routine will be second nature, your body will settle down and you will be grooving along.

Oh I pray So, I really do. The person set up to take me to Columbus for my surgeon appointment Tuesday ditched on me late Friday night, now I have been scurring trying to find someone, so far Nada. If I can not find someone by Monday afternoon I may have to cancel, but I do have someone to take me for my endoscopy and possible stricture stretching/repair Friday, but she is not available Tuesday. Now my st9mach is nervous, been sipping a Protein Shake all am, I know I need that Protein but sometimes I wish I could starve myself into iv,fluids, Yeah nobody is going to believe a 290 lb person may be starving inside. Yeah, I really could not harm myself like that, but in the short term it would be so E*A*S*Y. Tearful Rant over!

I only just started to feel better in the last few weeks myself. I found weeks 3-6 to be the absolute hardest. I was tired, miserable, wanted to chug a glass of Water, wanted to eat like a normal person, felt nauseous all the time...
Same responses of “oh it gets better hang in there”. And it does, 3 months post op and I feel so much better.
But when you are in those first few weeks, it sucks. And a week feels like forever. I counted the days when I could start the next phase of my diet. You don’t realize how much your life revolves around food. It sounds crazy, but I totally went through a phase in those weeks where I’d walk the grocery store hunting down anything I could eat for the week (and bought way more food than I could ever eat) because so much of it is mental.
It’s so much to handle all at once, but you learn. When I was in weeks 3-6 it seemed like an eternity. 3 months out, it seems like an eternity ago.

have you talked to your doc? Right about the same time frame I was unable to keep anything down, even Water, and turns out I have an ulcer. I’m on meds and doing much better, and I’m not saying that’s what is going on with you... just as a precautionary tale to say there may be something else going on.

3 weeks and your doing all that? Liquids, Soups, Vitamins, 60 g Protein liquid shakes ( Costco) Premier Protein chocolate or vanilla with ice cubes in a blender. Great. I think your pushing it! Be patient it pays off! Your health will thank you in the long run. You can do this!

On 10/17/2018 at 7:23 AM, smm86 said:

Yes! Perhaps my body isn’t ready. Last week I was cleared for “soft foods” like eggs. This week I was cleared to try seafood or shellfish. Next week I’m supposed to try chicken and turkey, the week after pork and beef. The thought of all that stuff makes me want to drop dead. Honestly all I want is cold Water, a fruit smoothie and fresh fruit but my plan doesn’t allow fruit yet. Since I’ve been feeling sick my doctor told me to go back to liquids.

Hang in there, I am about 2 in a half months out, I felt the same way at 3 weeks, I did Iv fluids once a week starting at 3 weeks post op, I could not get enough fluids in and my blood pressure was low because of that, making me exhausted. I was like, why did I do this? I can now say it's going a lot better!

If you're craving a fruit smoothie, try a fruit-flavored Protein Shake (Premier peaches&cream, strawberries&cream, or bananas&cream are really good!). Also, I didn't have any restriction on straw use, and I would not have been able to "sip" on my Water all day if I didn't use a straw. It's just not how I drink. Maybe talk to your doctor about adding a straw at this point? Good luck to you! We're here to support you!

Now I really like the Peaches and Cream Premier Protein. Some,people say it tastes fakey, I think it tastes like those circus peanuts, the shaped candy ones and I loved them as a baby Frustr8.

I had to get IV fluids a few times in the beginning and when I was dehydrated, I felt worse than ever. I was very tired, cranky, and it made it harder to stomach anything going in my mouth even popsicles and plain Water. I'm not able to eat pork or red meat except deer meat until I'm a year post op. I know that when I first ate soft foods like eggs it didn't sit well. I was also trying to eat like I normally did with a normal size bite and as fast as I used to. But I realized I had to take tiny bites, chew, chew, chew, and take my time eating. If you are dehydrated, once you get back to rehydrated even if it's by IV, you have to stay on top of it.

But it is normal to think you regret it. I did for a little bit and now, even though I felt like I went through hell, it has been well worth it. I feel the best I've ever felt and I'm still only 6 months post op.

Omg girl!! Me and you both feel the same it’s so hard I’m 3 weeks out also down 45 lbs but I do regret everything is so much hard but I’m trying to keep my head up and keep going

I regretted my surgery sooo much! But you will get better ! A year later you will laugh, soon you won’t be sick and hurting and can eat whatever you want and will have to be careful not to eat too much and gain weight back. Your feelings are totally normal and it will get better !

I am 3 weeks out and I have no appetite at all I have been living on lemon Water for the past week. I feel like I am never going to get through this stage just a tiny rant, glad I found this forum for sure.