Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did my surgeon change my surgery????

So ive been under the assumption that im having the sleeve surgery done. However when i logged into my patient portal I saw under my upcoming appointments and procedures this:

Planned Procedures
Bypass operation of stomach using an endoscope
Does that mean it was changed to bypass without me knowing it? Or is that just a generic term posted for it? I plan to call but he is out of the office this week.

I wouldn’t think so. There is no way they could do a RNY bypass through an endoscope. I’m one week post op today and I have 7 incisions on my abdomen. Beside that you have to sign a consent where the procedure is spelled out.

3 minutes ago, Lynnlovesthebeach said:

I wouldn’t think so. There is no way they could do a RNY bypass through an endoscope. I’m one week post op today and I have 7 incisions on my abdomen. Beside that you have to sign a consent where the procedure is spelled out.

One of your 7 incisions was for the endoscope. The other surgery would be called an open surgery (zipper club) and those are rarely done nowadays except in difficult or emergency situations.

1 hour ago, sleevegirl88 said:

So ive been under the assumption that im having the sleeve surgery done. However when i logged into my patient portal I saw under my upcoming appointments and procedures this:

Planned Procedures
Bypass operation of stomach using an endoscope
Does that mean it was changed to bypass without me knowing it? Or is that just a generic term posted for it? I plan to call but he is out of the office this week.

Sounds like you are scheduled to have an RNY bypass. If you were scheduled for a sleeve, you would see "ectomy" (removal) in the description. You should definitely get this explained properly by someone in your surgical team.

I think you are scheduled for an endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty. RNY is not described as endoscopic because it is done laparoscopicaly if not open. At least mine was.

The difference essentially comes down to the location of the procedure. Both endoscopy and laparoscopy involve the use of a camera, mounted on some platform, to look inside the body to minimize intrusion (small incisions or no incision). Laparoscopy involves the use of a camera to look inside the abdomen (laparotomy -- cutting into the abdomen) and endoscopy is just a more generalized term and not specific to an organ/body location.

3 hours ago, Lynnlovesthebeach said:

Actually you are incorrect, all WLS at this point is Endoscopic unless there are issues/complications that require an "open" surgery.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/minimally_invasive_robotic_surgery/types.html

Non-robotic minimally invasive surgery is also known as endoscopic surgery. You also may be familiar with terms like laparoscopic surgery, thoracoscopic surgery, or “keyhole” surgery. These are minimally invasive procedures that utilize an endoscope to reach internal organs through very small incisions.

Edited by Matt Z

3 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

Actually you are 100% incorrect, all WLS at this point is Endoscopic unless there are issues/complications that require an "open" surgery.

Edited by mousecat88

Just now, mousecat88 said:

WLS is laparoscopic, not endoscopic. The only endoscopic portion of a bypass is when they inflate or push Fluid into your new stomach to check for leaks. The sleeve is actually created endoscopically.

Read the link I posted... they ALL use an endoscope. The term can and is used simi-interchangeably.

I edited my post.

Why can't you delete posts on here? Or am I blind?

1 hour ago, mousecat88 said:

Why can't you delete posts on here? Or am I blind?

You can only edit posts within a certain timeframe as well, if you want a post deleted you can hit the "report post" button and request that the admin delete it.

@sleevegirl88I guess the real answer to your question is they are not going to change your procedure without discussing it with you. You have to sign a consent attesting the doctor has explained the procedure to you and that you understand what is to be done. That is your time to ask all the questions you need explained. Good luck with your procedure.

*******UPDATE*********

glad i got a hold of someone b/c some lady in scheduling put me down for the wrong surgery but all is fixed now.

And are you dancing your Happy Dance? I know I would be!