Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Following surgery with Weight Watchers

Just curious for those of you who have already had the surgery, did any of you join weight watchers to keep you on track? Or for accountability? Or anything of that sort? I'm 2 years/4 months out and originally lost 100 lbs in the first 7 months, then stalled for over a year, then gained back 30 of those pounds. I know that I let bad habits creep back in and it's totally my fault. But I'd like to get back on track and feel that maybe WW will keep me on my toes. I'm just curious how the plan actually works for someone who already has had the surgery? I just feel like I need that weekly meeting and some accountability.

Anyone?

Just taking a bite of this or that (chocolate or Pasta or bread etc) which led to eating the junk more and more. And eventually fell back into old habits.

I was actually thinking about this myself. I am almost 3 months post op, but was curious if anyone had started other weight loss programs back again after surgery. I haven't gained anything yet, but I haven't lost as much as I feel I should have yet either. (I have lost 20lbs in nearly 3 months - which compared to others stories is significantly behind).

I went as far as to look around for online weekly check in groups for VSGers, but I haven't really found anything. I don't particularly care to go to my facility here, they only have meetings like twice a year and I feel I need something more than that. Keep us posted on any info you find!

Be careful with WW after surgery. I just ran an online points calculator to find out my daily points intake. It gave me 40 points to start. One point equal out to about 50 calories. Based on 40 points x 50 = 2000 calories a day which is way more than my program says i should intake. That much food maybe to much for a modified stomach. I food log everything I eat to to help keep me accountable.

Maybe reach out to your surgery team if they offer meetings. My insurance offers a post surgery group weekly. I go and use the scale there for my weekly weigh in for my tracking and then hang out for the meeting. We have members from just having had surgery to one that is 8 years out. Our meetings are led with a behaviorist and nutritionist who alternate weekly. Best thing is you recognize change needs to happen, so make it happen. 😊

My experience with weight watchers over the years has not been a good one. I've heard they've recently improved somethings about the plan itself, but personally I'm still never going back.
I think those meetings colored the way I view my body in a negative way from an early age (I attended with my mom in middle school). It was the start of my yo-yo dieting.
I think group support can be a really good thing but I feel like weight watchers doesn't offer it up in a healthy way.

I would suggest finding a post surgery support group or something instead if you can find one.

23 minutes ago, nenes78 said:

Maybe reach out to your surgery team if they offer meetings. My insurance offers a post surgery group weekly. I go and use the scale there for my weekly weigh in for my tracking and then hang out for the meeting. We have members from just having had surgery to one that is 8 years out. Our meetings are led with a behaviorist and nutritionist who alternate weekly. Best thing is you recognize change needs to happen, so make it happen. 😊

Thank you for posting Nenes, I'd forgotten about the after surgery groups I have available. I think mine are only monthly, but it would probably be super useful through the winter at least.
Thank you for the reminder!

You might want to check out some of the free Facebook accountability groups. Here's one that is specific to your situation.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1525014851069468/

4 hours ago, Lovin2lose said:

Just curious for those of you who have already had the surgery, did any of you join weight watchers to keep you on track? Or for accountability? Or anything of that sort? I'm 2 years/4 months out and originally lost 100 lbs in the first 7 months, then stalled for over a year, then gained back 30 of those pounds. I know that I let bad habits creep back in and it's totally my fault. But I'd like to get back on track and feel that maybe WW will keep me on my toes. I'm just curious how the plan actually works for someone who already has had the surgery? I just feel like I need that weekly meeting and some accountability.

Anyone?

Many of us have regain after year(s) out from surgery. Nothing wrong with experimenting with options that help you find your weight loss mojo again.(examples Weight watchers, Going back to basics, Keto, pouch rest Ect) Whatever helps to get to a comfortable weight range.

4 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Out of curiosity, what exactly lead to the regain? Can you be as specific as possible? TIA

I indulged and maintained fine for the first few years. My weight gain was in my third year. I became accustomed to higher calories and carbs while distance running. Life also carries on after you get in maintenance mode all my tried and true ways to get my weight down stopped working (yes, I tracked food and worked out two hours five days a week) Fourth year magically basics started working again. I'm back to my maintenance weight.

Dear Lovin2lose

I’m 4 months post op, down 30 lbs.

i joined weight watchers at one month post op mainly for the accountability. The free points program is working for my friends but my Nurse Practitioner told me that WW is not good for anyone having Bariatric Surgery. The plan actually requires you to eat much more than you’re supposed to any time after surgery. I ended up leaving because I was spending a lot of money to get weighed every week but not really following the program. Really not learning anything new & then they changed the program after I was in for 3 months! Though I know it works for some people, it seems that at least 99% of the people in any of the WW groups I have joined over the years have reached goal & then gained all of the weight back - and then some. I really liked the leader but weight watchers is a HUGE profit making industry that is very expensive as are all of their foods, Snacks, gadgets, etc. And constantly changing the program costs people even more!

NP told me to follow the plan given by the nutritionist - 3 meals, no in between, and 1/2 a Protein Shake if I get hungry in between. She actually said, at 3 months post op, that I should still be eating with the small cups - 3 ounces of food. I haven’t done that in weeks and it seemed crazy to me mostly because I seem to be able to eat pretty much anything I want. I do have problems with bread types of food like Bagels, Pizza Crust, rice, etc. They seem to expand in my throat- probably not chewing enough.

So, bottom line for me is WW is useless for Bariatric Surgery people. That said, I would be remiss in not mentioning that I am in big trouble because I feel myself slipping back into my old bad habits & addictions again. Life has been extremely stressful since the surgery but I know I can’t use that as an excuse.

I think I should have had brain surgery instead of sleeve surgery! I started out so great but never dealt with the emotional, mental, & habitual reasons I’ve always eaten the way I do. I am so disappointed in myself & so angry that I went through all of this surgery only to lose 30 pounds. I don’t regret the surgery & I guess I should be happy because I haven’t lost weight in years but reality is that I needed to lose at least 100 to get to a healthy, non obese weight. I am losing hope.😞

I have done WW for years. Before surgery and after. I lost a lot of weight on WW but then over the years went back to bad habits and regained. I wanted the surgery as a tool for long term loss. I went back to WW a couple months after surgery and it’s been great. I track food, exercise, drink Water and weighing each week shows me the progress. The program essentially is about healthy eating, learning moderation, and moving more. Which is exactly what you have to do after surgery. But, it only works if you really do the program. Lots of people go but then eat what they want and wonder why they aren’t successful. Find a good meeting where you feel comfortable and can talk and meet some people. A few of my WW buddies have become really great friends and people I can talk to about my progress and set backs.

My regular GP has a nurse (weight loss coach) working in the office. She is free to see. Basically I can go in and chat with her once a week, have her check my food journal and have her weigh me. See if your doctors office has something similar

The newer weight watchers is much better. Basically fruit, veggies, lean protine, eggs, and fish are free... Sugar and saturated fat are counted against you- but not completely off limits. Healthy foods that should be consumed in moderation (like avacado, whole grain, etc) you mostly count calories (about 30 Cal a PT, if I recall).

It make be a good way to keep things in proportion. And you don't need to weigh, measure, or count lean protine, fruit, or veg.

I am pre-op and not a dietition tho.

Dear Lovin2lose
I’m 4 months post op, down 30 lbs.
i joined weight watchers at one month post op mainly for the accountability. The free points program is working for my friends but my Nurse Practitioner told me that WW is not good for anyone having Bariatric Surgery. The plan actually requires you to eat much more than you’re supposed to any time after surgery. I ended up leaving because I was spending a lot of money to get weighed every week but not really following the program. Really not learning anything new & then they changed the program after I was in for 3 months! Though I know it works for some people, it seems that at least 99% of the people in any of the WW groups I have joined over the years have reached goal & then gained all of the weight back - and then some. I really liked the leader but weight watchers is a HUGE profit making industry that is very expensive as are all of their foods, Snacks, gadgets, etc. And constantly changing the program costs people even more!
NP told me to follow the plan given by the nutritionist - 3 meals, no in between, and 1/2 a Protein Shake if I get hungry in between. She actually said, at 3 months post op, that I should still be eating with the small cups - 3 ounces of food. I haven’t done that in weeks and it seemed crazy to me mostly because I seem to be able to eat pretty much anything I want. I do have problems with bread types of food like Bagels, Pizza Crust, rice, etc. They seem to expand in my throat- probably not chewing enough.
So, bottom line for me is WW is useless for Bariatric Surgery people. That said, I would be remiss in not mentioning that I am in big trouble because I feel myself slipping back into my old bad habits & addictions again. Life has been extremely stressful since the surgery but I know I can’t use that as an excuse.
I think I should have had brain surgery instead of sleeve surgery! I started out so great but never dealt with the emotional, mental, & habitual reasons I’ve always eaten the way I do. I am so disappointed in myself & so angry that I went through all of this surgery only to lose 30 pounds. I don’t regret the surgery & I guess I should be happy because I haven’t lost weight in years but reality is that I needed to lose at least 100 to get to a healthy, non obese weight. I am losing hope.[emoji20]
Yes I'm here with you surgery 2011 weight climbing. Feeling frustrated considering many options super mic injection, phentermine pills. Lol feeling of despair right now. It's a head game my mind against my body. My body has been wining lately n I got the weight gain to prove it. Lol trying to get my mind right to win this fight. I'm 53 and are often told I look good but for me to have gone from my lowest low of 148 to now 195 not feeling euphoric right now. Lol[emoji30] [emoji30] [emoji30] [emoji30]

Sent from my SM-J327T using BariatricPal mobile app