Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips for preparing for surgery

Good morning.

If you have already had surgery, was there anything you did ahead of time (like during the 6 month weigh ins) to prepare yourself for the surgery?

Or, is there something that you wish you had did that you think would have made things easier for you?

I ask this because i am wondering, would it be good as I get closer to only have 1 meal per day and drink shakes the other 2 meals to make it easier for the 2 week pre-op liquid diet?

1 hour ago, Jenwill630 said:

Good morning.

If you have already had surgery, was there anything you did ahead of time (like during the 6 month weigh ins) to prepare yourself for the surgery?

Or, is there something that you wish you had did that you think would have made things easier for you?

I ask this because i am wondering, would it be good as I get closer to only have 1 meal per day and drink shakes the other 2 meals to make it easier for the 2 week pre-op liquid diet?

During my six month pre op weight loss. I wish I would have started using myfitnesspal and eating my bariatric real food stage plan. (Eating 60-100 grams Protein and keeping my carbs low (no potato rice bread pasta) Carbs from fruits and veggies) It would have made my supervised weight loss much easier.

You are going to get so sick of Protein Shakes that I strongly recommend not starting sooner than necessary. Instead I would second @skinnylife and follow the real food stage plan with very low carb and high Protein.

I think one of the big things I am going to have to get used to will be not drinking while I eat.

I'm already using MFP and started getting my carbs down, having a hard time with Protein up but getting there.

During the time leading up to surgery I had started the Keto Diet. - I personally loved it, I loved the way I felt everyday, unfortunately the high Proteins from redmeat caused my uterine fibroids to return. And some of the items perfect for Keto - caused issues with my Hypothyroidism. But Keto wasn't all bad. - I learned that I had an intolerance to gluten. And in learning this, I found out how my body reacted and learned that is something that I cannot afford to have in the future. I also learned about my sugar intolerance as well as how much total carbs my body will accept before I stop losing weight.

I had two weeks of a liquid pre-op diet. I over did it with Protein Shakes and come post op, the last thing I wanted was a Protein Shake. So, Protein shakes are great Meal Replacements, but too many of them too soon just makes it harder post op.

Learn to eat healthy ahead of time. Don't substitute shakes until you have to.

I will say this.....I think I found one of the things that is going to be very hard to get used to. Not drinking while I eat.

I decided let me start paying attention to this. OMG I am so used to drinking, even if just a few sips, while I eat and right after.