Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ive had my moments but like others have said, I had to find what worked for me. What my new tummy likes is not what she used to like or tolerate. But in the end all this pain and suffering will be well worth it for you and your babies.

On 11/6/2018 at 12:49 PM, TX4everLinds said:

Only moms get it. Sorry guys. Also I know that so soon after surgery can be very overwhelming. I also think you are factually correct but not communicating in a helpful way. Not everyone’s recovery is the same and not everyone has the same support at home. Probably would’ve been better to sit this one out than be critical. Just sayin.

I'm a little late to this game- but let me just say as a fellow mom that nothing offends me more than "only moms get it." What a crock- and totally offensive to numerous other people. Starting with Dads. Let's avoid using that line ever again, please.

I understand not wanting to drag 4 kids to the ER, and working in healthcare, I appreciate the OP's thoughts. But for anyone else reading this, find a neighbor, a friend, or drag them along if you are that dehydrated. Please get help. I was dehydrated, I almost passed out twice in the shower. It's awful. Don't take risks with your help. This is the moment you yell at your kids to learn to sit on their butts because Mom is sick and you get the help you need. You drag strollers. You do what you have to do.

Edited by Lizaboo

On 11/7/2018 at 1:56 PM, Anglkrys2 said:

Everyone can just stop talking about me now. I still have major complications and both drs are like “that’s ur issue” ..”no that’s ur issue”... got to love being passed around and no one helping! You don’t know me to past judgment on me! You don’t know the complications I have. I was venting...it’s over! Let it go! I’m glad all your surgeons are awesome! Mine suck!!

Goodness. All caught up now. Things got wild! My surgeons also sucked. I had to go around them to my main PCP, who basically called them and forced them to IV me. The surgical idiots couldn't seem to understand I was dehydrated. Total nightmare. The next step for me would have been ER. It sounds like you're trying to do what you can. Definately try rocking the sugar free popsicles. Those have worked well for me when nothing else did, even Water. Sugar free Jello? Sometimes I could tolerate one flavor (orange) when it seemed like bothing else worked.

Also, when I couldn't tolerate cold water, room temp worked. Some days, I still wonder if doing this surgery was the right choice for me as well, but it is getting better. I hope it does for you too.

If there was ever a post/thread that should be closed, this is definitely the one. Beating a dead horse over and over.

The OP already responded. The original post was a RANT. She said that twice. When she said "can't go to the ER ,I've got kids' she meant nobodys got time for that when you have four kids. That's where the response came that we get that as Moms. Nothing was meant against Dads. OP did not mean she was against getting medical attention and so many people started unfair posts back at her. Some posts were harsh when all she was looking for was support. Nice things like "suck it up. You made the decision, ect". We could respond to everyone's post that way actually. Close down the sight and just day suck it up.

OP probably left the sight. One other poster did for sure. Me, I do the usual here, most of the time I choose not to post for fear of backlash, being bullied and all the negative comments. But it's OK, the veterans run the sight. They stick together, have to have the last word, and are always right. That's the way I see it. Didn't take long to figure out. AND I have the right to my own opinion.

Goodness. All caught up now. Things got wild! My surgeons also sucked. I had to go around them to my main PCP, who basically called them and forced them to IV me. The surgical idiots couldn't seem to understand I was dehydrated. Total nightmare. The next step for me would have been ER. It sounds like you're trying to do what you can. Definately try rocking the sugar free popsicles. Those have worked well for me when nothing else did, even Water. sugar free Jello? Sometimes I could tolerate one flavor (orange) when it seemed like bothing else worked.
Also, when I couldn't tolerate cold Water, room temp worked. Some days, I still wonder if doing this surgery was the right choice for me as well, but it is getting better. I hope it does for you too.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

One thing you might be experiencing with the metallic taste in your mouth could be ketosis. NOT ketoacidosis (that's completely different). Anyone that follows a ketogenic diet knows this taste all too well. When you restrict carbs in your diet, at the very least 3-4 days, you'll enter into a low level of ketosis which causes that metallic taste and sometimes bad breath that just won't go away. Early ketosis can make you feel crap especially if you're restricting just enough carbs to make you flip flop from burning fat vs. burning glucose. The best thing you can do is get some electrolytes into your system. That will allow the metallic taste to subside. This can be found in liquid form. I trust a brand called Hi-Lyte or Lite-Show (find on Amazon). Just mix it with anything. Hope you get some relief.

4 hours ago, Vegasurvivor said:

If there was ever a post/thread that should be closed, this is definitely the one. Beating a dead horse over and over.

The OP already responded. The original post was a RANT. She said that twice. When she said "can't go to the ER ,I've got kids' she meant nobodys got time for that when you have four kids. That's where the response came that we get that as Moms. Nothing was meant against Dads. OP did not mean she was against getting medical attention and so many people started unfair posts back at her. Some posts were harsh when all she was looking for was support. Nice things like "suck it up. You made the decision, ect". We could respond to everyone's post that way actually. Close down the sight and just day suck it up.

OP probably left the sight. One other poster did for sure. Me, I do the usual here, most of the time I choose not to post for fear of backlash, being bullied and all the negative comments. But it's OK, the veterans run the sight. They stick together, have to have the last word, and are always right. That's the way I see it. Didn't take long to figure out. AND I have the right to my own opinion.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Vegas, at no time did I have an issue with the OP. Perhaps you should re-read my posts. This is why people tend to become so unneccessarily enflamed. I sympathize with her, because working in healthcare, I know that it IS difficult for parents to bring children in when they need help. But in this case, this would be when I would suggest an exception. As someone with dehydration issues and a crap surgeon, I wish her the best.

I do, however, disagree with the "as a mom" comment. And will continue to disagree with it. For reasons clearly stated. And that is as a mom myself. Let's stop using it as a catch all, I'm better than everyone else, including Dads excuse.

Now, enough.

3 hours ago, Kimmie K said:

One thing you might be experiencing with the metallic taste in your mouth could be ketosis. NOT ketoacidosis (that's completely different). Anyone that follows a ketogenic diet knows this taste all too well. When you restrict carbs in your diet, at the very least 3-4 days, you'll enter into a low level of ketosis which causes that metallic taste and sometimes bad breath that just won't go away. Early ketosis can make you feel crap especially if you're restricting just enough carbs to make you flip flop from burning fat vs. burning glucose. The best thing you can do is get some electrolytes into your system. That will allow the metallic taste to subside. This can be found in liquid form. I trust a brand called Hi-Lyte or Lite-Show (find on Amazon). Just mix it with anything. Hope you get some relief.

This is a great point! It does taste awful. I hate to say something as basic as trying to chew sugar-free gum, but it really does help while this is going on.

1 hour ago, Frustr8 said:

I have always worried that someone nearby would smell it TOO!

If you're not trying to eat Keto, then you have WAY more options at keeping this at bay. Biotene spray is magnificent. All of the Biotene products are great. High Protein diets just naturally cause rank breath too. Dehydration on top of all that makes for one stanky combintation LOL Electrolytes are soooooo important at keeping hydration in check when you can't just chug Water anymore. Even if do drink a lot of water, but aren't eating much salt, you aren't replenishing the vital electrolytes your body needs quick enough before you're flushing them right out again. You'll feel sluggish, get muscle cramps and charlie horses, get heart palpitations, jitters...just overall, you'll feel like crap. Drinking a Powerade Zero is just not enough to replenish what you're losing. Gotta supplement, like everything else ;)

Edited by Kimmie K

I think it's normal at the beginning to regret it. I'm just 5 days out and have been having those moments. You're in pain, you're exhausted and you can't eat any of the foods you love...and yet it is too early to see progress, so sure, regret is normal, I think. I have a lot of trouble with Water and Protein but I'm just gonna have to keep trying a little harder each day. Keep trying different things. Good luck!

Yes! I am wondering how could I have done this to myself, but then I remember how being 266 lbs. and only 5'2 had an impact on every single thing I did. Getting into my car comfortably; walking from my car into my job; not being able to even do one set of stairs without gasping for breath and my legs hurting, but being embarrassed to stop; the avoidance of mirrors and my reflection; the dread of having to go anywhere because I had nothing to wear and was too tired.

I had the sleeve on 10/23 and it was the hardest experience of my life. I couldn't sleep in the hospital, the Water tasted horrible and well, it was just a bad experience. I went home the next day and took some Benedryl, with the okay of my doctor's office and that helped me sleep. I was still getting over my cold so had a steamer and couldn't talk very well. The worst was taking my regular meds all crushed with water and they gagged me and then took the pills for nausea. The first few days I had the worst headache of my life, probably due to all the meds I was on. Once I got some Tylenol, I got rid of my headache.

I'm starting my 4th week tomorrow. I got my Vitamins and do not like them. I don't like the berry chewables at all so will have to try something different. The Multivitamin makes me throw up and yesterday, I made a Protein Shake with skim milk and about a half hour, I was having stomach pains and diarrhea so bad that I lost two more pounds. So, maybe I am now sensitive to milk, so will always make my shakes with water.

Now, it's the mental. I want to eat. I'm mad that all I can take is two bites of something or I'll have stomach pains, throw up or have you know what. I have to go back to work day after tomorrow and I've enjoyed being home for three weeks.

My fat brain is mad that I can't eat like I used to anymore. I pray, I will be so happy in another few months, but right now, I'm not This is really, really, hard.

And Lillyrose things were no better at 5ft8in and 365 pounds in October 2017. My weight kept creeping up, and it seemed like starving myself , diets and deprevation had no real effect. I was a Sad tired plump puppy-person without much hope. I swore I saw the Death Angel standing & beckoning with his finger. Was I going to join all my school friends who were deceased, should I just give up and let Death claim me? No I am red-headed , I am not giving up without a fight. I came into the 🌏 red-headed, red-faced and screaming, I planned to exit this life more or less the same although I prefer clothed. I do get cold! And at 72, I had to do some tall talking, but finally had RnY surgery September 5th 2018, there are chapters to my story still being written , better than having the covers closed and patched.

This thread got way out of hand. There are usually two types of responses you will get here, the soft cushy supportive ones and then the harsh deal with it ones. I think some of the vets are just jaded from hearing the same complaints all the time and it shows in their response. I took some time off from here because I got burned out pretty quickly, things are essentially the same as when I left. I don’t mean to come across as a dick, but we are talking about major life altering surgery here. Of course it is not going to be easy and there are going to be issues and complications. So, I apologize if I offended anyone as that was not my intention. I just don’t like to sugarcoat things anymore either. Sounds like the OP is still having some issues but showing some improvement hopefully everything will continue to get better.

Every day since I had surgery. That was in 2013. Constantly have diarrhea, upset stomach, gas, loss of energy and what food I can hold down dosen’t taste good. On the bright side....I did go from 250 pounds to 185 and am keeping it off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk