Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 1 weeks out. And my gut feeling was not to do it! I had a terrible time with the band and this is no different! I even asked my surgeon AND nutritionist about my health issues BEFORE and they assured me I’d be fine! I have IBS (now terrible diarrhea and a fissure), Migraines (can’t drink anything with artificial sweeteners so I’m dehydrated-water makes me vomit due to the metallic taste in my mouth)! I am hungry, in pain, and dehydrated and the only thing they want me to do is go to ER! I can’t spend 4 months in the ER because I can’t drink Water or anything else!!! I have 4 kids! I should have just accepted my body for what it was! Seriously sick of myself and my dr. It’s all about the money for them! Sorry so negative but I needed to rant and cry....somewhere..

On 10/15/2018 at 20:02, GreenTealael said:

True lemon, Stur, basil mint infused Water, higher quality Water, iced tea, lemon water.

Make it work!

Safe Journey

Mint is a no and water is what’s making me vomit! My sick of that. I’m trying homemade iced tea but can’t get that taste out of my mouth!

1 minute ago, Anglkrys2 said:
7 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

True lemon, Stur, basil mint infused Water, higher quality Water, iced tea, lemon Water.

Make it work!

Safe Journey

Mint is a no and water is what’s making me vomit! My sick of that. I’m trying homemade iced tea but can’t get that taste out of my mouth!

Simply can't live without water so don't skimp on it . Try higher quality Waters. I had the same issue with water. Add as much fresh fruit/herbs to infuse with it as you can handle but don't give up on it.

Get well soon, we are cheering for you!

It sucks. It sucks and it's terrible. It sucks, it's terrible, and some of us get these awful complications. I was miserable and ill for months after my sleeve, far worse than most people.

Three years out, every single minute of pain was worth it.

Time makes it better. The pain of surgery and the initial recovery grow more distant every day, and a healthy future gets closer AND longer.

Hang in there.

**Edit: I was completely unable to eat or drink at one point. The creative solution was Peanut Butter crackers, because I loved them, and I had so psyched myself out about vomiting that I threw everything else up except this snack I'd always loved. They used it to get me to tolerate food again. After that, I lived on fat free fairlife milk (they filter out the lactose and sugar, fortify with extra Protein and calcium) since NOT ONE Protein Shake worked for me. I mixed my milk with sugar free strawberry Syrup, diet hot cocoa mix, or PB2, that sugar free peanut butter stuff that I blended with fairlife milk and ice cubes to make peanut butter ice cream. For Water, I added sugar free hawaiin punch, and I'm still drinking it three years later.

Edited by BarrySue

Did you have a problem wit drinking plain Water pre-op?

have you tried distilled water?

Not even going to lie, last week I regretted my decision. I had surgery on 09/24 and went back to work on 10/8. I felt fine. Was getting at least 64oz of Water in a day, I'm on pureed food. I was eating correctly. On Tuesday 10/9 I had a syncopal episode. When I went down my right knee landed on my left foot. I ended up with a broke foot in 3 places.

If Water has a metallic taste try bottled waters like Evian, Fiji, or even pure distilled.

Try sucking on sugar free popcicles

Try hot herbal tea- play around with both the temperature and the flavors. Peach tranquility and mint majesty from Starbucks both have great flavor with no added sweetener.

If what you need to do is rant and cry than rant and cry and hang on and put one tiny baby foot in front of the other. And soon, this too shall pass.

Edited by BelleOfBatonRouge

My friend has had no surgery but is a "super taster" and HATES the matalic/chemical taste of tap and most bottled waters.

She found a few she likes. One is "purified filtered water" tasteless, another is "smart water" which has a "water" taste which she likes and doesn't find offensive.

Here is what I would do:

Go buy ONE bottle of EVERY kind of Water in the local store. I know, that means like 20 dollars up front and 19 of them wasted... But for your health it is worth it. ONE will be at least tolerable to some degree. Get a bunch of bottles of the one you can stand and then drink or flavor with fruit/tea/herbs/extracts whatever you like.

Edited by Medowsweet

On 10/15/2018 at 21:18, Medowsweet said:

My friend has had no surgery but is a "super taster" and HATES the matalic/chemical taste of tap and most bottled waters.

She found a few she likes. One is "purified filtered water" tasteless, another is "smart water" which has a "water" taste which she likes and doesn't find offensive.

Here is what I would do:

Go buy ONE bottle of EVERY kind of Water in the local store. I know, that means like 20 dollars up front and 19 of them wasted... But for your health it is worth it. ONE will be at least tolerable to some degree. Get a bunch of bottles of the one you can stand and then flavor with fruit/tea/herbs/extracts whatever you like.

Great idea. I was using smart Water. I’ll have my husband pick up different ones. Ty

On 10/15/2018 at 20:13, BarrySue said:

It sucks. It sucks and it's terrible. It sucks, it's terrible, and some of us get these awful complications. I was miserable and ill for months after my sleeve, far worse than most people.

Three years out, every single minute of pain was worth it.

Time makes it better. The pain of surgery and the initial recovery grow more distant every day, and a healthy future gets closer AND longer.

Hang in there.

**Edit: I was completely unable to eat or drink at one point. The creative solution was Peanut Butter crackers, because I loved them, and I had so psyched myself out about vomiting that I threw everything else up except this snack I'd always loved. They used it to get me to tolerate food again. After that, I lived on fat free fairlife milk (they filter out the lactose and sugar, fortify with extra Protein and calcium) since NOT ONE Protein Shake worked for me. I mixed my milk with sugar free strawberry Syrup, diet hot cocoa mix, or PB2, that sugar free Peanut Butter stuff that I blended with fairlife milk and ice cubes to make peanut butter ice cream. For Water, I added sugar free hawaiin punch, and I'm still drinking it three years later.

BarrySue
Thank you so much for understanding. I’m going to look for that milk and the Hawaiian Punch. I’m not giving up but feel so bad...depressed and in pain...not a good combo....and...your understanding and your story give me hope....

Most of us probably thought never again after we gave birth to our first child but lots went back a 2nd time and a 3rd etc. Having major surgery is no different. At the time all you can focus on is the pain and how awful you feel but it doesn't take long before you forget all that when you see the rewards.

12 hours ago, Anglkrys2 said:

I am 1 weeks out. And my gut feeling was not to do it! I had a terrible time with the band and this is no different! I even asked my surgeon AND nutritionist about my health issues BEFORE and they assured me I’d be fine! I have IBS (now terrible diarrhea and a fissure), Migraines (can’t drink anything with artificial sweeteners so I’m dehydrated-water makes me vomit due to the metallic taste in my mouth)! I am hungry, in pain, and dehydrated and the only thing they want me to do is go to ER! I can’t spend 4 months in the ER because I can’t drink Water or anything else!!! I have 4 kids! I should have just accepted my body for what it was! Seriously sick of myself and my dr. It’s all about the money for them! Sorry so negative but I needed to rant and cry....somewhere..

I have nothing but compassion for anyone who has experienced complications after surgery. I'm glad you are getting responses from people that have actually experienced the same. I would love to see @Alex Brecher make a forum category for patients who have complications or patients to start a forum thread for surgery complication only support.

I wish you the best,

Jenn

And Jenn I will be there posting for sure, 6 weeks Tommie since my RNY, still on Stage 2A, have a repeat EGJ on October 26th. Surgeons partner, the one rescoping me said, don't work about your counts, don't add any new foods or textures, keep up with your Multivitamins, Calcium, B12, omeprazole twice a day, Zofran 3 times daily, Carafate every 6 hours and we will get through this all. I hope this time things hasn't settled down and my stricture can be dialated. The Good News in this all? I never had a 3 week stall, I have list over25 pounds since surgery and a total of 40 since the end of July. Hurray for ME but what emotional cost! I am watching my Surgery Day twins ready or have started back to soft regular foods. And as a result of either repeatedly vomiting or the endoscope tube I am virtually mute, Not that there wasn't a group that have for years hoped I would be quiet. Warning- my middle finger still works, I'm not going down⬇without a fight.

2 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

And Jenn I will be there posting for sure, 6 weeks Tommie since my RNY, still on Stage 2A, have a repeat EGJ on October 26th. Surgeons partner, the one rescoping me said, don't work about your counts, don't add any new foods or textures, keep up with your Multivitamins,calcium, B12, omeprazole twice a day, Zofran 3 times daily, Carafate every 6 hours and we will get through this all. I hope this time things hasn't settled down and my stricture can be dialated. The Good News in this all? I never had a 3 week stall, I have list over25 pounds since surgery and a total of 40 since the end of July. Hurray for ME but what emotional cost! I am watching my Surgery Day twins ready or have started back to soft regular foods. And as a result of either repeatedly vomiting or the endoscope tube I am virtually mute, Not that there wasn't a group that have for years hoped I would be quiet. Warning- my middle finger still works, I'm not going down⬇without a fight.

I'm sorry to hear about all this. I know you have been on this board for quite a while. Would you be open to starting a thread to support people with complications? I think it's important that there's a place specifically for this topic.

People that have no experience with this mean well but don't have a clue. **me included**