Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Many aspects of his approach I like, particularly his "veg first" approach to long term maintenance - he is one of the few docs that I have seen who discussed how our meal size evolves over time, and has a prescription to mitigate that (see his vid on "sleeve/pouch stretching") His green smoothies aren't popular with the low carb/keto crowd, but the do seem to have a better nutritional basis than most of those common fad diets. His Protein requirements (45-60 g, IIRC) overall seem a bit scant for all but the smallest women, but overall, his focus on getting into real foods as soon as tolerated seems to be good thing, and fairly consistent with the program that I was on.

@Medowsweet

I don't see much that is unusual.

He suggests real whole foods - standard Protein choices. chicken, eggs, dairy, beef and seafood. Fruits, veggies and nuts. As for his smoothie - It's a whey Protein Shake fortified with added minerals and Vitamins from fruits and veggies. It's still a supplement for first stages after surgery. He suggests to get rid of his green smoothie and any Protein Shakes as soon as possible.

No one should be dependant on shakes/smoothies and processed protein products sold on this site long term. Real whole foods are enough to get your nutrition in.

4 hours ago, skinnylife said:

I don't see much that is unusual.

Nothing unusual? How many people on this board alone are chanting the mantra "lean Protein first"? He also recommends e. g. eating at least four servings of fruit a day, dig into lentils and Beans and to drastically limit dairy and to limit animal protein in general.

That's quite different from the standard WLS diet that seems to be recommended.

4 hours ago, summerset said:

Nothing unusual? How many people on this board alone are chanting the mantra "lean Protein first"? He also recommends e. g. eating at least four servings of fruit a day, dig into lentils and Beans and to drastically limit dairy and to limit animal Protein in general.

That's quite different from the standard WLS diet that seems to be recommended.

Since you took the time to quote me and ask..... Here is my response.

We both have been on this site on and off for a long time. I guess it's not unusual to me because we have people that are 100% vegan that have been on the boards for years. He leans vegan but is not 100%. He still promotes animal Proteins he didn't eliminate them. His protein goal is lower but still in range. It's real whole foods approach. His video was not anything revolutionary or new to me. It may be new information for others.

Edited by skinnylife

48 minutes ago, skinnylife said:

Since you asked.

Rhetorical question only. We both know the answer. His approach is unusual in the WLS continuum.

We both have been on this site on and off for a long time.

And this is exactly why I still view his approach as "unusual". When I say "unusual" it's in comparison to what usually seems to be recommended to WLS patients.

Come on, how many patients seem to get the advice to eat four portions of fruit a day, to stock up on the pulses and to limit dairy to a bare minimum?

Just now, summerset said:

Rhetorical question only. We both know the answer. His approach is unusual in the WLS continuum.

And this is exactly why I still view his approach as "unusual". When I say "unusual" it's in comparison to what usually seems to be recommended to WLS patients.

Come on, how many patients seem to get the advice to eat four portions of fruit a day, to stock up on the pulses and to limit dairy to a bare minimum?

@summerset.

The great thing about this site is we don't all have the same opinion. You have yours I have mine. 😉

How many different diets have you seen on this site? Keto, Paleo, whole 30...Is a vegan bariatric diet that new to anyone? To each their own.

1 hour ago, skinnylife said:

How many different diets have you seen on this site? Keto, Paleo, whole 30...Is a vegan bariatric diet that new to anyone?

.For some it seems to be an outrageous and impossible thing to do after WLS to eat fruit or ditching dairy or not doing the "protein first" thing, so I still think of Dr. Weiner's approach as "unusual advice" compared to the usual programs that most patients here seem to be on.

To me, a lot of it rings true (tho I wouldn't nessesarily limit lean meat or minimize dairy.)

I like his whole food, vitimins and nutritional content first approach

For example he recommends instead of a sugar-free fat free cookie made with aspertame, guar gum, olestra, msg, and splenda (no actual food was harmed in the making of this product)

Just eat an apple full of vitimins, photo chemicals, and Fiber

It worries me when I see a lot of bariatric surgery perminant diet patients recommending tons of fake food
I would rather use lettus to make a sandwich then this weird low calorie, low fat, highly processed bread they found.

I like that he emphasises veggies, which are both very low calorie and very high nutritient.

I do wonder if his people get enough protine, and if they are hungry with less animal protine as animal protine is very satisfying and digests more slowly.

I also wonder if the fruit and Beans may cause dumping syndrome or blood sugar swings.

I wonder if his blended spinnich and raw fruit smoothies are too hard on a tummy early on... (Raw plant fiber)

I am a big proponent of whole, healthy food post-WLS and my bariatric team supports this way of eating. I do NOT consume artificial sweeteners at all, am not a big meat eater, and I do not worry about eating fruit. I eat whatever amount of fruit I feel like, which is usually 1-3 servings a day, depending on what’s in season or in my kitchen. I don’t demonize any food except for fake food made with chemicals. This approach has worked very well for me; my yearly labs are fantastic, I feel wonderful, and my BMI is in the lower normal range.

I also just returned from a beach vacation where I wore cute bikinis and was not self conscious about my body, even with some saggy skin.

What I am consuming (veggies, fruit, dairy, Beans, some meat) is working well for me. No dumping or RH episodes. YMMV

This is only a guide to the first month after surgery when most are drinking commercially available Protein Shakes. For me, all that fruit is excessive in the first month after surgery but to each his own. I would think those IN THE FIRST MONTH who can not tolerate commercially available Protein shakes might benefit from something like this.

By the time we are able to eat whole foods I do not think these (or any other) drinks are the best choice since they slide right through the sleeve...my program says no to liquid calories like this as a major component of a post operative diet. I eat many vegetables but little fruit because I do not like it and my nutritionist is fine with that. I use some splenda and stevia for coffee and in sugar free popsicles but try to avoid the other fake foods on the market.

It makes me sad to think there are people avoiding fruit and Beans for the rest of their lives. I won't do that. (Heck, I'm two weeks post-op, and fat-free refried beans are the next puree/soft food on my list to try!) Both are a major part of the diets of some of the healthiest groups of people in the world.

We know processed foods with simple carbohydrates are what make us (society as a whole) fat and unhealthy. Fruits come with fiber and Vitamins packaged in, so they're pretty great. They're a lower priority than protein-containing foods (like beans), while we're severely restricted in what we can eat, but after that, they're great!

I'm still treating 60 grams of Protein as a minimum, and I'm still going to get some animal protein most days, but his "veggie first" approach seems like a good way to live, long-term.

1 hour ago, CrankyMagpie said:

It makes me sad to think there are people avoiding fruit and Beans for the rest of their lives. I won't do that. (Heck, I'm two weeks post-op, and fat-free refried Beans are the next puree/soft food on my list to try!) Both are a major part of the diets of some of the healthiest groups of people in the world.

We know processed foods with simple carbohydrates are what make us (society as a whole) fat and unhealthy. Fruits come with Fiber and Vitamins packaged in, so they're pretty great. They're a lower priority than protein-containing foods (like beans), while we're severely restricted in what we can eat, but after that, they're great!

I'm still treating 60 grams of Protein as a minimum, and I'm still going to get some animal Protein most days, but his "veggie first" approach seems like a good way to live, long-term.

I must be missing something,

The protein first mantra - Correct me if I'm wrong, This is because you can barely eat enough calories to to get your protein goal right after surgery. Don't all of us progress to real foods with veggies and fruit? Who are the people that are restricted from beans and fruit?

17 minutes ago, skinnylife said:

I must be missing something,

The Protein first mantra - Correct me if I'm wrong, This is because you can barely eat enough calories to to get your protein goal right after surgery. Don't all of us progress to real foods with veggies and fruit? Who are the people that are restricted from Beans and fruit?

Lots of people! Lots of people's forever diet is "keto" or "Atkins-like" meaning protine and some green, low carb veg, but avoid carbs such as:

Fruit, beans, whole grains, corn, peas, lentils, peanuts, berries, squash, yams, potatoes, etc

They WILL however eat fake food, such as low fat margarine, artificially flavored sugar free treats, Atkins brand low carb pancake with Atkins brand artificially flavored aspertame Syrup etc

I am wondering if people are having success when they avoid grains, sugar, and processed food, but eat a veriety of whole natural foods, including berries, squash, fruit, nuts, and beans

(But not chips, Cookies, bread, soda, Pasta, crackers, candy, fake, or highly processed food etc)

(Kinda paleo-like, but with beans and maybe milk if you tolerate it)