Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision from lapband to sleeve

On 10/16/2018 at 1:41 AM, nosilla said:

Hi everyone! I just got approved to get the band out and the sleeve ASAP. I really haven’t spent a lot of time researching what to expect and it just dawned on me to come here!

My band was a disaster and never was viable. The port came out after 2 revisions and I had MRSA. 12 yrs later it’s coming out. So excited for that.

Did everyone have the revision to sleeve in multiple surgeries? Reading about the intolerance to artificial sweeteners has been interesting ...I’ve been trained since WW in the mid 80’s to have fake sugar.

Any major advice for someone who is about to start this journey again?

allison

So glad you are getting band out as I can tell you the longer you wait the worse it is. I had mine done together, it was about 5 hour total, 3 hour surgery 2 recovery room. I had my surgery at 8am I was up and walking by dinner time. I walked as much as I could and never had one gas pain. They have you hooked to everything so it wasn’t easy to get around. This recovery has been so much easier then having it put in.

good luck to you

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I got the band in 2013 only lost about 40 pounds. I had two prolapse. My esophagus is damaged from throwing up. In May 2018 the band was remove. I gained 30 pounds [emoji849]
I was sleeved 10-8

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 10/17/2018 at 20:59, Jendkopp said:

@nosilla: good luck! One thing I didn't expect from the Band removal is how tender my stomach would be from where the port was removed. It took about 7 weeks to be able to exercise without discomfort due to stomach bouncing/jiggling.

I am “fortunate” that my port was removed in 2007 after it developed MRSA and that giant incision never healed. This will only be the band. I’ve not had any bad complications that I’m aware of beyond things getting stuck... but it’s been a source of worry for 10 years and completely useless. I self paid for the band in 2006, so I didn’t have Insurance coverage for Bariatric until now. Such a relief.

@ElectricBoogaloo: most of the pain was gone by day 10, but the port area still has minor discomfort with exercise

On 10/18/2018 at 8:38 AM, jujusmommy07 said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I got the band in 2013 only lost about 40 pounds. I had two prolapse. My esophagus is damaged from throwing up. In May 2018 the band was remove. I gained 30 pounds
I was sleeved 10-8

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

How are you doing?

Hello to revision from lapband to sleevers. I’m 22 days out and just wondering how everyone is doing. I’m having a lot of heartburn no matter what I eat. I’m still very fatigued if I do something for more the two hours straight, like housework. I actually feel faintish. Sometimes I’m hungry sometimes not. When I eat I have to be very careful because I don’t feel full until it’s to late then I’m sick, I’m trying to measure out food but I’m so hungry at that moment that I feel that one more tablespoon is not going to make a difference..wrongo! Otherwise I’m feeling great, no pain or soreness anymore I never took pain meds so that wasn’t and issue. sleeping is getting better can lay on my side now without discomfort!! Just like to know how everyone else is doing and stage they are in?

I had my revision done on 1018 and this is three days post op not been drinking a lot of Crystal light I’m eating sugar free Popsicles and sugar-free Jell-O for the next week and I think I’m feeling pretty good but yeah I get pretty tired also they also have this tube coming out of the side of my stomach for discharge so I’m hoping to get that removed next or this Thursday when I go see my doctor for. Anyway I’m kind a new to this so I’m gonna keep trying to come on and get suggestions in friendships And I wish you all a blessed day

8 hours ago, Nettyinlacey said:

I had my revision done on 1018 and this is three days post op not been drinking a lot of Crystal light I’m eating sugar free Popsicles and sugar-free Jell-O for the next week and I think I’m feeling pretty good but yeah I get pretty tired also they also have this tube coming out of the side of my stomach for discharge so I’m hoping to get that removed next or this Thursday when I go see my doctor for. Anyway I’m kind a new to this so I’m gonna keep trying to come on and get suggestions in friendships And I wish you all a blessed day

Sounds like your doing great! Unlike you I couldn’t tolerate anything with artificial sweeteners nor anything dairy, but that has passed thankfully. I hope you get that tube removal once less thing to worry about. Can I ask you how did you you get your little runner track, I have been unable to get this? Keep up the good work!

Lol I don’t know what track that is sorry

On 10/23/2018 at 5:15 AM, JacquieK said:

Sounds like your doing great! Unlike you I couldn’t tolerate anything with artificial sweeteners nor anything dairy, but that has passed thankfully. I hope you get that tube removal once less thing to worry about. Can I ask you how did you you get your little runner track, I have been unable to get this? Keep up the good work!

I just figured it out. The Ticker you get from your sign in name drop down list.

Had my lap band 2011, just had my revision October 1st. Could use someone to talk to that has had revision. I have some post op questions? Also help entry of my weight and surgery date in my profile? Anyone can help a girl out??
I also had the lap band before I got my sleeve... my doc has seen recently published research that the band should come out 8 to 10 weeks before you get the sleeve. From what I understood while taking the band out it gives the doc a chance to get all the scar tissue broke up and healed before having the surgery for the sleeve. Which is what I had done. He was excited after surgery to tell me I have a normal sized sleeve instead of being a little bigger due to the scar tissue.
I have my 2 week check up on Oct 31 so I am sure I will be on letting everyone what the official weight loss is !

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

My lapband removal yesterday. Ive no port so the tubing was floating freely. It not only eroded into my stomach, the tubing imbedded itself into several places in my small intestines. The surgeon had to do a lot of repair week. My outpatient procedure turned into a weekend long hospital stay! I’m not in a lot of pain, just some tenderness. Waking around a bit, but still on ice chips.

Some time today I will get a barium year to see if there are any leaks.

The doctor was shocked that I’d not had a ton of fevers and infection from the damage being done by that band. It was a nightmare, but it’s over.

I hope my sleeve isn’t impacted by all of this, but tome Will tell.

Allison

What are the main differences in how you feel with sleeve vs band? I had band removed and was so accustomed to pain from being stuck. I plan to revise to sleeve once my stomach heals but curious about hunger feelings and feeling full.