Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision from lapband to sleeve

Had my lap band 2011, just had my revision October 1st. Could use someone to talk to that has had revision. I have some post op questions? Also help entry of my weight and surgery date in my profile? Anyone can help a girl out??

I had my band placed July 2014, removed/revised to sleeve October 10th. I think for weight/date update, go to My Surgery > Progress. What else is up?

I’m doing good, I have some days I’m full of energy and then forget okay not two weeks yet and crash, I’m really careful not to pick up over 10 pounds. Just a few questions? Is it normal to be a pound or two heavier when you get home? I lost 4 pounds after the 5th day and that is all. I’m not Pureing every single thing, I just chew till it’s mushy not any meat or chunks. Has anyone else done that? When I started to eat I can’t rake in anything dairy or anything with artificial sweeteners goes right through me.so odd...worried about not getting enough protein...Okay last thing of course I had a sore throat after surgery for a few days no big deal but my tongue has been burning, brushing my teeth last night my tongue has a dark color to it. I had thrush before but that was white and bumpy.

Hi there. I know what you mean about the tongue. I also had similar symptoms. I think it is a combination of intubation and some dehydration. I bought a spray to help with dry mouth. Biotene. That helps. I am struggling with Water intake. I am now starting week 4. On solids now and really feel full fast. At your stage I tried all kinds of tricks to increase Protein. Try lactose free milk such as fairlife with 14 grams of protein. I agree tolerance to dairy and sweet items are difficult. I have had some GI problems here and there. I also bought some Protein Powder plain to add to whatever I can. I find dairy played a large role early on. I am now enjoying poached eggs with Fiber whole grain bread. chicken that is tender has been good and cottage cheese. All lactose free. Your weight will fluctuate. Mine did as well. A lot of rebalancing going on. I need to start exercising but concerned this will make me hungry. I find I am still tired!

Kelly,

thank you so much for responding to me with such helpful answers. It’s helpful to know we are just weeks apart. I hope we can continue to talk to support each other. Not many people at least that I have talked to are band to sleeve. What was your decision to go to sleeve rather then full bypass? Mine was I had Ovarian cancer 2016. I was blessed to have listened to my body and the doctors caught it in time I was stage 1. Which is extremely rare to catch it so early, I’m so thankful. My GYN oncologist urged me against the full bypass due to saturation of nutrition if it should come back. I get checked every 6 months. I used to think that was a myth about getting enough nutrition but I trust my doctors. I called my bariatric doctor this morning to ask about my tongue. Also I never asked about intercourse..lol. I too are still tired and some days sore more the others, it seems lifting my legs to get in or out of the car or bed hurts, sharp pain for a second. Thank you for the helpful hints, I will try them today.

thanks again!

Hi I just had the revision done on the 11th. I had my band for over 15 years. Should have taken care of it so much sooner. I chose the sleeve because I personally didn't want the nutrition issues that go along with the bypass plus its a much more invasive surgery. I had to have the removal with a hernia repair. My band created a big old hernia that had me suffering with severe reflux for years. Now I can actually sleep lying flat!!

I'm on full liquids just as of yesterday and I've been really careful to make sure to go slow. The stomach needs time to heal is what they told me so my doctor has me on full liquids till tomorrow I think then I can start pureed. I have trouble with artificial sweetners so I'm just trying to eat things that are lower in suger content. It's Water I'm worried about. I'm so afraid I'm not going to be drinking enough Fluid that I'll get dehydrated. I get full so fast even when I'm taking my time eating/drinking.

Hi again. I am still learning this app and not sure how to reply individually to each post. So I hope I am doing this right. I needed to have my band removed due to severe Gerd. I was offered a mini gastric bypass or sleeve. I chose the sleeve over bypass as I wanted the benefit of reducing the hormone grelun. Spelling may be off sorry. And I did not want to be on a lot of Vitamins life long. My hemoglobin dropped has always been on the low side but really dipped low following surgery. This has made me more tired over the past couple of weeks. Water has been a challenge. I flavor it to allow me to drink more but I am not getting it all in. I hope other liquids such as popsicles and milk etc will count. WRT to intercourse my surgeon said 2 weeks post op okay. I think we need to remember that most of us with revision have a slightly longer surgery to remove the band, port, clean up scar tissue, fix hernia and a sleeve. Wow we went through major surgery!! Be kind to yourselves and give time to heal

I was diagnosed with esophageal dilation in February, had all of the Fluid removed. Four years ago, I wasn't ready mentally or physically to have such an invasive procedure, but was okay with have the band placed. Over four years of watching M6PL, sleeves just seemed like a normal procedure and not as scary as I thought it would be.

When the discussion turned to refilling or removing my band, I was ready to take the next step for a more permanent solution. I actually loved my band, and although I gained weight while it wasn't filled and never got to goal, I consider my band a success. Without the band, I was probably heading to my very own special episode of M6PL!!!😂

Hi everyone! I just got approved to get the band out and the sleeve ASAP. I really haven’t spent a lot of time researching what to expect and it just dawned on me to come here!

My band was a disaster and never was viable. The port came out after 2 revisions and I had MRSA. 12 yrs later it’s coming out. So excited for that.

Did everyone have the revision to sleeve in multiple surgeries? Reading about the intolerance to artificial sweeteners has been interesting ...I’ve been trained since WW in the mid 80’s to have fake sugar.

Any major advice for someone who is about to start this journey again?

allison

@nosilla: i was banded in dec of 2012 and just had the band removed aug 28th 2018. i am scheduled to get sleeve surgery on 12/18. my doctor does band removal and sleeve conversion as two separate surgeries so that the stomach can heal before being stapled.

@jendkopp I just got scheduled for the band removal for next week. I’m beyond excited. :)

@nosilla: good luck! One thing I didn't expect from the Band removal is how tender my stomach would be from where the port was removed. It took about 7 weeks to be able to exercise without discomfort due to stomach bouncing/jiggling.

1 hour ago, Jendkopp said:

@nosilla: good luck! One thing I didn't expect from the Band removal is how tender my stomach would be from where the port was removed. It took about 7 weeks to be able to exercise without discomfort due to stomach bouncing/jiggling.

Uh oh...7 weeks?! I am ready for the incision/removal pain to be over and I am only 1 week out!

On 10/15/2018 at 8:56 PM, Gypsykate said:

Hi I just had the revision done on the 11th. I had my band for over 15 years. Should have taken care of it so much sooner. I chose the sleeve because I personally didn't want the nutrition issues that go along with the bypass plus its a much more invasive surgery. I had to have the removal with a hernia repair. My band created a big old hernia that had me suffering with severe reflux for years. Now I can actually sleep lying flat!!

I'm on full liquids just as of yesterday and I've been really careful to make sure to go slow. The stomach needs time to heal is what they told me so my doctor has me on full liquids till tomorrow I think then I can start pureed. I have trouble with artificial sweetners so I'm just trying to eat things that are lower in suger content. It's Water I'm worried about. I'm so afraid I'm not going to be drinking enough Fluid that I'll get dehydrated. I get full so fast even when I'm taking my time eating/drinking.

So glad you finally had your surgery done! I too had The hiatal hernia issue too, just awful. I’m 18days out and feel good, I get tired easily but that is expected. Had an issue with the artificial sweeteners and dairy made me sick, I’m okay with the dairy as of a few days ago, the sweetener I’m incorporating in slowly. My weight loss is about 4 pounds. Don’t worry about the full liquids as my doctor told me last visit if you feel comfortable drinking more do it, I drink just as I did before my surgery now, no little sips.