Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How fast can I bounce back?

I am having my surgery October 22 and hoping to be back at school ASAP. I’m prenursing! Am I over zealous that I will be back at school so fast? I have a way I can park close and have someone helping with my books. I can probably arrange transportation if I need to. But am I being realistic?

This surgery takes a lot out of you. My daughter had a hard time going back to work in retail at 10 days. She found it hard to get enough Protein in to have enough stamina to make it through a 4 hour shift.

I was out for a solid 2w, but I'm older, and probably could have been back at a week if I'd had to really push it.

Meh... Some people will say that they could have, I will say I couldn't have. How well/quick do you recover from the flu or major Illnesses, pain thresholds, age and current medical issues may be a slight indicators.

But there is an element of chance that will shut all of that down.

Can you do it during the semester break? That maybe more realistic...

8 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Meh... Some people will say that they could have, I will say I couldn't have. How well/quick do you recover from the flu or major Illnesses, pain thresholds, age and current medical issues may be a slight indicators.

But there is an element of chance that will shut all of that down.

Can you do it during the semester break? That maybe more realistic...

I agree with this.

I could have done it. I took no time off, but I work from home. I was back to full work travel at week 3 post op. But not everyone has the same easy recovery.

My surgeon wanted me off work for two weeks. I was driving after 3 days (wasn't supposed to for two weeks). It will take you a little while to get used to the new "diet", recover from the pain of the surgery and just be able to sit still. You will need to walk, walk and walk. Don't over extend yourself, don't overdo it. Do what your surgeon says, they know what is best for you. Good luck with your upcoming surgery.

I asked my Dr. last night about this.
He said the average time that his patients go back to work is 10 days.

I think they removed my TIGGER-TAIL when they did my surgery, I bounce,no more. Hoping for a smooth chug chug down the road of life🚕.

My sister had it done while she was in college over her winter break and did ok going back. However, keep in mind that was in 1989 and the surgery was open and hospital stay was a week. Honestly, if you could shoot for Thanksgiving break it may be better.

2 weeks off school had been more than enough for me. If you dont have any complications, you shouldn't have to miss much at all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had surgery on 09/24. I took two weeks off from my desk job. After a week I felt like I could have gone back. I went back to work on 10/8 and on 10/9 I passed out and broke my foot in two places. So please don't rush it and make sure that you drink plenty of fluids.

My surgery is also October 22nd. We'll have to compare recovery. I don't work, but my 9mo old grandson is physically exhausting!! I'm sure my recovery will be slower due to age and physical limitations.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgeon said 2 weeks for desk jobs, 4 weeks for physically demanding jobs. Can drive on your own in 1 week. I'm taking 2 weeks (fortunately there's Election Day and Veteran's Day in there so I don't have to use SO much leave). Obviously, though, you never know if you could have complications so it could always be longer. Better to rest than push yourself, I think.

That being said, one of my bosses had this surgery 6 years ago and went back to work 3 days after getting out of the hospital, just to meetings. He said he felt really uncomfortable, but it was manageable.

Edited by mousecat88