Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My psych doctor spent the first 1.5 hours just asking me about any prior mental health treatment I've had and why I want the surgery. We went over my history of anxiety. She asked a lot of questions about if I had a history of depression, suicidal thoughts, or if I had any drug or alcohol issues, which I don't. The second 1.5 hours I took a 300 question personality test, which basically tested (again) if I was depressed or suicidal or had a tendency to be impulsive or suffer from addictions. It also had some questions about if you're happy with your job, hobbies, and how supportive your friends and family are. Stuff like that.

Mine was like 15 minutes. She asked if I had depression, why. If I had thoughts about suicide and why I wanted to have the surgery. Also about support from home.

My psych doctor spent the first 1.5 hours just asking me about any prior mental health treatment I've had and why I want the surgery. We went over my history of anxiety. She asked a lot of questions about if I had a history of depression, suicidal thoughts, or if I had any drug or alcohol issues, which I don't. The second 1.5 hours I took a 300 question personality test, which basically tested (again) if I was depressed or suicidal or had a tendency to be impulsive or suffer from addictions. It also had some questions about if you're happy with your job, hobbies, and how supportive your friends and family are. Stuff like that.
Nosy ass people lol

Sent from my Z982 using BariatricPal mobile app

Mine was only about 2 hrs or so and most of that time was the 300 question personality evaluation. I also spoke with him for a while about my support system, what I knew about the surgery and what I expect from the surgery...plus all the questions about substance abuse and previous mental health history.

8 hours ago, ARMoma45 said:

Mine was only about 2 hrs or so and most of that time was the 300 question personality evaluation.

Did yours have a ton of double/triple negative questions and weird questions about poets you've never heard of? LOL.

"I don't never not drink." Ummmm.

11 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

Did yours have a ton of double/triple negative questions and weird questions about poets you've never heard of? LOL.

"I don't never not drink." Ummmm.

Yes, it asked several times about random personal things like "is your favorite activity ...." I do remember the question about the poets as well lol. I was assuming that they were make sure we were reading all the questions and not just marking stuff down. My daughter had to do a similar test for ADHD and she got tired of the repetitive questions and just started marking things...it concluded that she was anorexic...the kid weighs 200 lbs(she was 18).

I disliked the one I had before when I was asked How Long I had hated my Mama? Never said I did, why would you ask such a thing_ Wished I had said something witty l8je" I will forgive you for asking such a question if you will forgive me for not answering!" But they was a former attempt in another plan. This time in April I had a wonderful psych appointment with a staff member of that departments Dr Kramer, and we actually became friends , he is still monitoring my case and if I ever need consouling again, I have only to call him, gave me his card. Super, super person! That person,using the term loosely, was someone they contracted in, and I can only hope they terminated her contract, a real piece of work, not worth the powder to blow her up. I usually am kind, sweet tempered but if I ever saw her in passinf, she better move fast because the lighter I get, the quicker I will be on my feet.!👊😛💢

That's a really terrible question to ask someone during the evaluation. Mine asked about my home life growing up...if I was close to my parents and siblings. He mostly wanted to know that I had researched the procedure and that I didn't just impulsively jump into this...like I could with all the hoops lol. Also lots of questions about drug and alcohol use.

Mine was an hour long interview basically - but I let him lead the conversation not offering information that he didn't ask for. He asked about my weight history, why I want surgery, if I have a support system. Finally he asked if I thought I was an anxious/stress eater. I said that I am and now I have to do counseling for that prior to surgery - no big deal really since Im sure I need the counseling. I think that my experience is the exception compared to most of you here!

Mine was about 20 minutes long. She just asked why I want the surgery and how long I have been thinking about the surgery. She also asked me about how much weight I was hoping to lose and what support I will have.

I would say my experience was similar to everyone else's. 300 questions and an interview. Yada, yada. It went smoothly. Mostly because I told her what she wanted hear. yup. Sue me. Didn't work out that way for my friend. I guess she was more honest about herself because now the shrink is holding her back because of her "Anger issues". She's completed her 6-month requirements but the shrink won't ok the surgery. Pretty messed up. My friend is like "hell yeah I'm angry. I'm not even a quarter through my life expectancy, yet I feel like I'm 80, with aching limbs and a weak body" She feels her anger is what motivated her to begin this process in the first place. I feel so badly for her because she started this process months before me, yet I'll end up having the surgery before she does. Glad I didn't open my skull to that women. The only sleeve I'd see then is the sleeve of a straight jacket lol

Edited by LadySin

i wouldn't be too concerned about it. i have a history of depression and self harm and i was approved. i think as long as you seem competent and knowledgeable you'll be fine.