Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heading to the store today for the pre/post-op meals! Tips?

I am so excited - I found a really tasty soy Protein on Amazon. It's called 365 Everyday in Unsweetened vanilla. I mixed it with a banana this a.m. and it is so good I would have ordered something like it at a Tropical smoothie.

Heading to the store today with my grocery list for the pre-op and post-op puree phase (since most won't go bad):

Unsweetened applesauce, various meat baby food, canned peaches/pears, sugar free pudding, about 60+ AdvantEdge and Atkins shakes, and 15 Healthy Choice meals for pre-op. Going to grab some cottage cheese and 1% milk as it gets closer. I'm not a huge fan of yogurt. Anything you guys particularly enjoyed during the pureed stage? I figured meat baby food would be best for me as far as the meat goes, because blending chicken/beef into a puree myself just sounds gross. =p What are some good veggie puree options? I figured maybe mashed cauliflower?

Edited by mousecat88

8 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Double and triple check the refund policies...

Haha. It's Walmart... they'll take anything back here. I already had to return Protein powders I ordered off their website. Barf.

Edited by mousecat88

I've done the Protein Shakes and healthy choice before surgery and have lost quite a bit (still pre-op) so far. It's good that you're getting fired up! All of those things along with food tracking help a lot. Good luck!

Peaches and pears in 100% juice so can wash out yet excess cals easily, a high quality powder Protein so you can really control the amount of protein in your shakes... With all these lawsuits out... Whose next lol

Congrats!!!

Biggest tip. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FOR POST OP!!!

Odds are, your tastes for things will change, might be temporary (I had that happen) might be forever (lots of folks state their taste for things drastically changed). Best not to stock up and then not like them anymore.

Also, pay attention to Protein types... Concentrate is going to be pretty high in lactose, since it's pretty much JUST concentrated Milk. Isolate strips out most, if not all, lactose. LOTS of folks have issues with lactose post op. Again, some are temp, some are perm.

My wife wanted to buy things before hand, and I told her not to and explained why. She did it anyway. So much stuff got wasted.

As a WLS patient 7 weeks out, I can echo @Matt Z. Do not buy anything more than the bare minimum. I tried and tested so many Protein powders / shakes and bought them up to a month before surgery to "prepare" myself. I have so much left over. Between my BF (who's not a WLS patient) and myself we're inching through our stack and both dreading it every day.

I wish wish wish I had listened to the threads that stated don't over buy in advance.

Biggest tip. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FOR POST OP!!!

Odds are, your tastes for things will change, might be temporary (I had that happen) might be forever (lots of folks state their taste for things drastically changed). Best not to stock up and then not like them anymore.

Also, pay attention to Protein types... Concentrate is going to be pretty high in lactose, since it's pretty much JUST concentrated Milk. Isolate strips out most, if not all, lactose. LOTS of folks have issues with lactose post op. Again, some are temp, some are perm.

My wife wanted to buy things before hand, and I told her not to and explained why. She did it anyway. So much stuff got wasted.
I cant have any whey Proteins, isolates or concentrates. I am not lactose intolerant, but actually intolerant to the protein itself. I've tested about 12 protein powders beforehand. I can only tolerate Atkins (which is half soy) and full soy isolates. Pea protein isolate and egg white proteins make me gag.

I just bought a bunch of Atkins, the 15 frozen meals for the pre-op, some chicken broth, and various baby foods for the puree stage. And some unsweetened applesauce. That's all for now.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

Since Atkins is essentially the only Protein Shake I can have without puking, I hope I can tolerate it afterwards.. otherwise no clue what I'd do.

Peaches and pears in 100% juice so can wash out yet excess cals easily, a high quality powder Protein so you can really control the amount of protein in your shakes... With all these lawsuits out... Whose next lol
Congrats!!!
Yes! I randomly decided to buy peaches and pears in their own juice (without even seeing your comment). lol. I couldn't think of any good fruits to puree, even though I'm supposed to have some so they seemed perfect.

On 10/9/2018 at 8:12 PM, mousecat88 said:

I cant have any whey Proteins, isolates or concentrates. I am not lactose intolerant, but actually intolerant to the Protein itself. I've tested about 12 protein powders beforehand. I can only tolerate Atkins (which is half soy) and full soy isolates. Pea protein isolate and egg white Proteins make me gag.

I just bought a bunch of Atkins, the 15 frozen meals for the pre-op, some chicken broth, and various baby foods for the puree stage. And some unsweetened applesauce. That's all for now.

I hope this doesn't happen to me as I cannot have soy due to my Hashimoto's and I am already lactose intolerant 0.0

On 10/9/2018 at 4:14 PM, mousecat88 said:

Since Atkins is essentially the only Protein Shake I can have without puking, I hope I can tolerate it afterwards.. otherwise no clue what I'd do.

Have you tried J. Robb? I don't like egg white Protein Shakes either, but his brand is quite palatable.

1 minute ago, Mrs.Cartwill said:

Have you tried J. Robb? I don't like egg white Protein Shakes either, but his brand is quite palatable.

Nope, hadn't heard of it. I may check it out. I think I am just going to use LiquaCel. It has whey in it, but it is mostly collagen and doesn't hurt my stomach. It's 1oz of gel per serving and that's it. Way easier than shakes.

Yeah, I am pretty sure I won't be able to consume Protein Shakes after. I opted to buy a 12 pack of Liquid Protein Clinical. The bottles are 3.8 ounces each and the flavor (at least for the fruit Punch) is not bad. I tried it as a shot and it goes down well. :) I haven't tried the LiquaCel, but it was one of the Protein Drinks on our sample table when we did our nutrition class. Good Luck either way. When is your surgery? Mine is next Monday.

What I did early on ( post 11weeks) 1/2 cup or so Premier Protein Water, equal amount minute maid 15 fruit punch then fill container up with chilled water. Sip sip sip and enjoy. Also a life-saver for me sugar free tropical POPSICLES, you see I am not typical, most my distance out from surgery are on soft foods in small portions. Not me. I have a stricture, 5 small but potentially deadly after-surgery g.I. ulcers, 2 in my stomal pouch, 3 on the back wall of my jejunem, the 2nd intestinal portion of my,g.I. anatomy, so I am on still liquids. Every 2 weeks an attempt is made to dialate my opening but I still remain stenosis and strictured. My dates (so far) October 12, October 26, November 9, and this coming Wednesday November 28.,Mama ( may she rest in peace) always felt I was above- average, but never normal? IDK but I just keep on keeping on and with hope in my 💓😎😝