Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you know when your full?

Hey guys and gals!

So as of today I am 6 weeks post op. Per my Nut I can eat all foods at this point. What signs did you know you were full? I can’t tell. I am not eating a lot, it feels as though after a few bites it’s coming back up. Am I doing something wrong? I am still eating softer foods, like chicken (dark meat), tuna, eggs. I just would like for the throwing up to stop.

I am only a vomit/no vomit stager but hope to find in the future what my stoppng point must be!

4 hours ago, Auroragirl4489 said:

Hey guys and gals!

So as of today I am 6 weeks post op. Per my Nut I can eat all foods at this point. What signs did you know you were full? I can’t tell. I am not eating a lot, it feels as though after a few bites it’s coming back up. Am I doing something wrong? I am still eating softer foods, like chicken (dark meat), tuna, eggs. I just would like for the throwing up to stop.

For me, I just get this "no longer interested" feeling... way more mental than physical.

If you are chewing well and you are still vomiting on soft foods, please go talk to your surgeon, it's possible you have a stricture or other obstruction that might need to be attended to.

I had gastric bypass. For the first 4 weeks I was on full liquids and the next 4 on pureed foods. It wasn't until I reached week 9 post op that I was allowed to transition to solids. The transition to solids can be rather difficult. There is no need to rush this transition. I found that softer foods (such as chili and soups) went down much easier than hard foods (such as steak and chicken) therefore I stayed with these for a long time.

After surgery, I lost my hunger. This occurred at my transition to solid foods. When I was in liquid and pureed stage, I did not feel this effect. I didn't feel full.

After surgery, your stomach is the size of a fist. If you put more food onto your stomach than it can hold, it will produce dumping, vomiting in this case. This is very noticeable in the solid food stage. The experience is quite awful. But your body will produce pretriggers such as sneezing, instant loss of appetite, mucous formation, hiccups to warn you when you are close to this point. If you stop eating when these pretriggers first appear, you will avoid dumping. Just become attuned to your body and when a pretrigger occurs, do not eat even one more bite.

I have included some chili and Soup recipes at the end of the following article. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Chew chew chew. When I start to get full I will burp a couple of times. When I didn't know any better and kept eating it felt like food was stuck and it would take 15-20 min to go away. Now I stop in the burp lol

Thank you all for responding! I don’t throw up every meal seems to be more at dinner time and i think they maybe when I’m the hungriest. But i notice the burping or gargling. I never thought that was a sign but now I will be more mindful.

On 10/09/2018 at 05:42, Matt Z said:

For me, I just get this "no longer interested" feeling... way more mental than physical.

If you are chewing well and you are still vomiting on soft foods, please go talk to your surgeon, it's possible you have a stricture or other obstruction that might need to be attended to.

I’m never interested in food anymore lol I just eat because I know I have to. If i could I’d stick to shakes forever lol. And thank u i will reach out to my dr. He thought i might have a stricture but then said could be still swollen (2 weeks ago) Vomit stopped now it’s back again. I think I’m doing something wrong but I’d rather be safe than sorry

On 10/09/2018 at 07:26, James Marusek said:

I had gastric bypass. For the first 4 weeks I was on full liquids and the next 4 on pureed foods. It wasn't until I reached week 9 post op that I was allowed to transition to solids. The transition to solids can be rather difficult. There is no need to rush this transition. I found that softer foods (such as chili and soups) went down much easier than hard foods (such as steak and chicken) therefore I stayed with these for a long time.

After surgery, I lost my hunger. This occurred at my transition to solid foods. When I was in liquid and pureed stage, I did not feel this effect. I didn't feel full.

After surgery, your stomach is the size of a fist. If you put more food onto your stomach than it can hold, it will produce dumping, vomiting in this case. This is very noticeable in the solid food stage. The experience is quite awful. But your body will produce pretriggers such as sneezing, instant loss of appetite, mucous formation, hiccups to warn you when you are close to this point. If you stop eating when these pretriggers first appear, you will avoid dumping. Just become attuned to your body and when a pretrigger occurs, do not eat even one more bite.

I have included some chili and Soup recipes at the end of the following article. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Thank u soooo much I’ll check out the recipes. I haven’t ate a lot of the solids because I’m afraid of what may happening.

For me it's more mental as well. It's like I know to stop. After I'm finished I usually have a little hiccup and that lets me know that I'm full. Right now I'm on pureed foods so I'm sure when I transition to soft foods the feeling will be much different.

Full does feel different now. I also didn't feel "full" (the new feeling) for several months post RNY. Instead, I only served the portion that I was "allowed" to eat according to my stage of recovery. I got this average information on portion size from my RD. And I just would not go beyond it. But, if I happened to lose interest along the way--I quit eating. (um, something that didn't happen very often. ;) ha. yay me. ) Now I do have the feeling of, "OK, let's quit eating now." Or sometimes its, "Wow, I shouldn't of had that last bite! I gotta go lay down, STAT!" I just try very hard to stop it at the "Ok, let's quit eating now stage."

On 10/09/2018 at 11:54, Auroragirl4489 said:

Thank you all for responding! I don’t throw up every meal seems to be more at dinner time and i think they maybe when I’m the hungriest. But i notice the burping or gargling. I never thought that was a sign but now I will be more mindful.
Sounds like you could be eating too fast! You mention you’re really hungry and it’s happening only at dinner— maybe that’s it? Eating fast prevents me from knowing I’m full until it’s too late and I feel bleh

Sounds like you could be eating too fast! You mention you’re really hungry and it’s happening only at dinner— maybe that’s it? Eating fast prevents me from knowing I’m full until it’s too late and I feel bleh
I agree...i probably eat too fast at dinner because I'm hungry by the end of the day....then i get the "I'm full" feeling too late...I've overate. Then the food feels like its sitting in the back of my throat.

Sent from my SM-G950F using BariatricPal mobile app

Post op 7 wks. (RYN) When I know I am full its a few different symptoms. I start to get a pain in my chest. A not interested feeling, almost a turn off from what I was eating. And burps that keep to be stuck. I still eat pretty soft foods. I try to avoid solid or heavy foods. I don't like how they make me feel and I am ok with my diet and so is my surgeon. I don't normally throw up anymore but there are certain foods I've tried a few different times post op and I just cant eat them.

I am almost 6 months post op and I still don’t feel full. But I know when to stop. I either get bored or burp.

I wish I felt full physically but I just don’t.