Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have always hated exercise but I have learned, especially after my surgery, that it is a necessary evil for me to lose my weight. I had surgery on June 6th and am down 64lbs but I always, always dread going to the gym. I usually do 45 minutes of a fast pace walk and then 15 minutes of strength training. What do your workouts look like? I would like to switch it up a little but then again I am a stickler for routine and don't do well with change. Anybody else dread it as much?

I'd encourage you to try some new things, in the hopes you will find something you enjoy, or if not that, then something you'd like to achieve. Exercising to lose weight is fine for a while, but that isn't enough to keep most of us active enough for long.

Things that might be fun:

A friend of mine loves Zumba.

Another friend likes spinning classes (I don't see the appeal, but they make her happy!)

I actually really like using the elliptical with the game Zombies, Run! running in my iPhone--it makes it a lot more interesting. The company that makes that game has some non-zombie games, too.

Water aerobics are different and a surprisingly good workout (and there's Aqua Zumba, too).

Possible goals to work towards:

Walking/running a 5k/10k/marathon

Hiking up that one mountain you like to look at

Doing one of those "virtual walks," where you wear a fitness tracker and do a lot of walking to move a marker on a map

Biking a quarter century/half century/century - or, alternately, getting fit for one of those bike tours through Europe or wine country or ... whatever place would be fun for you to bike through

Competing in a triathlon

Swimming a mile

Doing one of those mud runs? or color runs?

I enjoy the stair climber. Our gym has the ones that are like mini escalators. Nothing makes me sweat like that thing. I am decreasing my time on the treadmill and slowly increasing my time on it. If you have them, they are great!

I have not went under the knife yet so not sure how It will work out.About 10 years ago I lost 105 lbs in 6 months and one thing i know is the more you shock your muscles and body with ifferent things the better results you ill have.

Tomorrow I'm exactly one month post-op and been looking at doing more exercise besides random small walks during the week or hours long walks on the weekend.

Anyone with any tips for when you were about 1 month out? I know I'm not fully cleared yet to do any weight training or too heavy activities.

To basically sum up what EVERYONE here has said - TRY NEW THINGS - not everything is a good fit for everyone - we all have what we like and don't like, I personally LOVE BOOT CAMP - my hubs who is VERY FIT, and can do all the items they ask with ease, while I fight through each work out, he HATES IT! My friends like spinning, zumba, swimming,walking, running, you name it. Just like food we all have our tastes, the most important thing is no matter what it is even widow shopping at the mall (slow walking) it means your moving and that is more than 98% of us can say from before.

On 10/9/2018 at 1:28 AM, Bowties said:

Tomorrow I'm exactly one month post-op and been looking at doing more exercise besides random small walks during the week or hours long walks on the weekend.

Anyone with any tips for when you were about 1 month out? I know I'm not fully cleared yet to do any weight training or too heavy activities.

When I was 1 month out I was cleared to cycle on flat roads (no hills). It was amazing to change it up from walking.

1 hour ago, Cynisca said:

When I was 1 month out I was cleared to cycle on flat roads (no hills). It was amazing to change it up from walking.

That's awesome. I actually am 3 weeks. I thought I was 1 month and got my dates wrong. 1 month is next week.

Thank you, this will help me judge where to be. I only walk and not too fast yet. But I'm looking into doing more. Feeling better doesn't always mean we should do more... Really appreciate it.

23 hours ago, Bowties said:

Feeling better doesn't always mean we should do more... Really appreciate it.

This right here is exactly what you need to remember.

I like to watch Netflix while gyming lol, mostly during boring cardio. Then get super focused on the weight routine for a quick burst.

I'm not a big fan of exercising. I do walk to/from work and public transportation and once in awhile on the weekends. I know I like Zumba as I've done it in the past so I'm going to join a local gym that has Zumba classes. I'm hoping once I start doing that, I won't dread exercising so much.