Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The antacids I think are also time released. I take 2 am and 1 pm as of last Thursday and I’m not having near as much pain now. Also been super cautious how much liquid I swallow now. Hugs

I'm 12 days post op, gastric sleeve, ate some Soup that was thickened with potato 2 days ago, and it made my tummy VERY angry. Ended up with terrible pain in my lower esophagus (like a softball sitting in there) and my diaphragm muscle was really hurting too. My surgeon's nurse put me on clears for 24 hours, but I was so worried, I only got in about 30oz of fluids with 25g Protein. Today I am back on regular liquids, but started getting that excessive saliva that was all foamy. Last night I had the "foamies" after a sugar free popsicle. I'm worried about a stricture, but sounds like it could have happened due to be overly irritated. I texted my nurse again, and I'm terrified she's going to say I need to have a procedure or something. I'd really like to know I'm fine and just need to quit on the fluids even though I'm barely getting any in. Also, I have a LOT of anxiety around medical stuff. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Also, I'd like to note that prior to the Soup incident 2 days ago, I was getting in upwards of 60-70 oz fluids and 80g Protein every day and no issues.
I just talked to my doctor about the lump in throat feeling I've been experiencing. He said it's most likely inflammation from the tubing they put down your throat while they do the surgery. He said he didnt believe it had anything to do with acid reflux.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had my surgery in April and I think I have finally figured this feeling out. Whenever I eat too quickly and don't shew enough I tend to get this feeling and get foamy. I found if I slow down and set my fork down between bites I do better. We need to retain ourselves to slow down. Your meal should take at least 20 - 30 minutes to eat, instead of the 5 minutes my family tends to take. Think of your stomach as a pipe. If you pour too much of anything into a pipe, it gets backed up. If you pour contents ion slowly or a little at a time, it goes down more easily. Chew, chew, chew and rest between your next bite.

On 10/7/2018 at 11:41 AM, beingdina said:

I'm 12 days post op, gastric sleeve, ate some Soup that was thickened with potato 2 days ago, and it made my tummy VERY angry. Ended up with terrible pain in my lower esophagus (like a softball sitting in there) and my diaphragm muscle was really hurting too. My surgeon's nurse put me on clears for 24 hours, but I was so worried, I only got in about 30oz of fluids with 25g Protein. Today I am back on regular liquids, but started getting that excessive saliva that was all foamy. Last night I had the "foamies" after a sugar free popsicle. I'm worried about a stricture, but sounds like it could have happened due to be overly irritated. I texted my nurse again, and I'm terrified she's going to say I need to have a procedure or something. I'd really like to know I'm fine and just need to quit on the fluids even though I'm barely getting any in. Also, I have a LOT of anxiety around medical stuff. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Also, I'd like to note that prior to the Soup incident 2 days ago, I was getting in upwards of 60-70 oz fluids and 80g Protein every day and no issues.

I just went through this unfortunately and checked myself into the hospital. I did a barium swallow and an ultrasound with a ton a contrast dye which was terrible since I was barely swallowing due to the pain. They didn't find anything.

Retracing my steps I feel like it was caused by not taking my time with the foods. If your body is rejecting the potato base, it's okay to go back to something safe. You can try again later. I am also chewing and sipping much more slowly. I was chewing thoroughly but after feeling a lump in my throat I would continuing eating once the lump was gone, when really I should have stopped completely until later.

Also this is just what I've noticed, but the symptoms got better the more I got to a normal Fluid level. Even if it meant drinking stuff like ice tea with diluted apple juice or watered down gatorade, stuff that isn't recommended due to the sugar but I knew would go down easier than straight Water. Something about getting back to the optimum level of fluids soothed that lump and pain feeling more than the prescribed meds alone. Dehydration felt like a vicious cycle to me—the less I drank the more pain I felt in my esophagus which led me to drink less and exacerbated the pain.

So I would make it a goal to get back to those high fluid levels. Hope you feel better.

First of all, I'd like to try and sooth your mind a little by saying that 12 days is very early to be scared about what's getting stuck and is it stricture. That doesn't mean there isn't a problem, but I promise you, your tummy is still super swollen and will continue to battle with swelling and healing for that 6 week recovery. I have had terrible trouble with stricture and anything potato makes me violently ill along with anything that is very starchy or sticky (pasta, rice, oatmeal, bread.) I have a two centimeter narrowing and the only thing that passes without grief is liquid. Starchy stuff acts like glue in your gut and since you are still so very swollen and healing, it plugs you right up and sits like a rock of OMG awful wedged in your tummy. You also are struggling to produce the proper digestive juices at the moment so even a tiny bite that you chewed for 30 min of something NOT on your diet may cause horrid upset. Try to take a breath, don't be too scared yet, keep your doctor informed as it seems like you have. If you are able to sip your Protein Drinks with no problem then you are doing okay for the moment. I'm sure you are bored out of your mind of your limited food choices, but don't jump the gun on eating anything crazy right now. Even things on your list of approved food can be problematic if your tummy is still swollen. Furthermore, if you do eat something and have a bad tummy ache from it, it's likely to cause added swelling for a while (days). Also, if anyone posting here had hiatal hernia repair with their sleeve, that is its own nasty recovery that can cause things to back up into your esophagus, yucky lump feeling in your throat area, "alien slime" regurgitation, pain in your chest with eating and drinking. I still get pain under my left collar bone to this day with eating.

Always always use your best judgement. If your surgeon is telling you to be patient and let healing take place then try to let that happen and take some deep breaths. You know if you can't get more than 40 oz of Fluid down you will be in trouble. You can go MUCH longer without food. If you are getting a few hundred calories for now that's just fine. Smile, drink some warm tea and count your oz of liquid. If you need someone to talk to, message me and we can call over the phone. Its very, very possible everything is just as it should be though. Chin up buttercup!

Oh, and, as my surgeon always tells me so very sweetly, "I can fix anything!" If you do have a stricture, it can be fixed. It won't be fun lol, but you will be fixable! Try to have a beautiful day today.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:21 AM, BurBur said:

First of all, I'd like to try and sooth your mind a little by saying that 12 days is very early to be scared about what's getting stuck and is it stricture. That doesn't mean there isn't a problem, but I promise you, your tummy is still super swollen and will continue to battle with swelling and healing for that 6 week recovery. I have had terrible trouble with stricture and anything potato makes me violently ill along with anything that is very starchy or sticky (pasta, rice, oatmeal, bread.) I have a two centimeter narrowing and the only thing that passes without grief is liquid. Starchy stuff acts like glue in your gut and since you are still so very swollen and healing, it plugs you right up and sits like a rock of OMG awful wedged in your tummy. You also are struggling to produce the proper digestive juices at the moment so even a tiny bite that you chewed for 30 min of something NOT on your diet may cause horrid upset. Try to take a breath, don't be too scared yet, keep your doctor informed as it seems like you have. If you are able to sip your Protein Drinks with no problem then you are doing okay for the moment. I'm sure you are bored out of your mind of your limited food choices, but don't jump the gun on eating anything crazy right now. Even things on your list of approved food can be problematic if your tummy is still swollen. Furthermore, if you do eat something and have a bad tummy ache from it, it's likely to cause added swelling for a while (days). Also, if anyone posting here had hiatal hernia repair with their sleeve, that is its own nasty recovery that can cause things to back up into your esophagus, yucky lump feeling in your throat area, "alien slime" regurgitation, pain in your chest with eating and drinking. I still get pain under my left collar bone to this day with eating.

Always always use your best judgement. If your surgeon is telling you to be patient and let healing take place then try to let that happen and take some deep breaths. You know if you can't get more than 40 oz of Fluid down you will be in trouble. You can go MUCH longer without food. If you are getting a few hundred calories for now that's just fine. Smile, drink some warm tea and count your oz of liquid. If you need someone to talk to, message me and we can call over the phone. Its very, very possible everything is just as it should be though. Chin up buttercup!

Oh, and, as my surgeon always tells me so very sweetly, "I can fix anything!" If you do have a stricture, it can be fixed. It won't be fun lol, but you will be fixable! Try to have a beautiful day today.

Thank you so much for your kind words.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, Oct517 said:

I just talked to my doctor about the lump in throat feeling I've been experiencing. He said it's most likely inflammation from the tubing they put down your throat while they do the surgery. He said he didnt believe it had anything to do with acid reflux.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:45 PM, domi said:

I had my surgery in April and I think I have finally figured this feeling out. Whenever I eat too quickly and don't shew enough I tend to get this feeling and get foamy. I found if I slow down and set my fork down between bites I do better. We need to retain ourselves to slow down. Your meal should take at least 20 - 30 minutes to eat, instead of the 5 minutes my family tends to take. Think of your stomach as a pipe. If you pour too much of anything into a pipe, it gets backed up. If you pour contents ion slowly or a little at a time, it goes down more easily. Chew, chew, chew and rest between your next bite.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:28 AM, John Kitsu said:

I just went through this unfortunately and checked myself into the hospital. I did a barium swallow and an ultrasound with a ton a contrast dye which was terrible since I was barely swallowing due to the pain. They didn't find anything.

Retracing my steps I feel like it was caused by not taking my time with the foods. If your body is rejecting the potato base, it's okay to go back to something safe. You can try again later. I am also chewing and sipping much more slowly. I was chewing thoroughly but after feeling a lump in my throat I would continuing eating once the lump was gone, when really I should have stopped completely until later.

Also this is just what I've noticed, but the symptoms got better the more I got to a normal Fluid level. Even if it meant drinking stuff like ice tea with diluted apple juice or watered down gatorade, stuff that isn't recommended due to the sugar but I knew would go down easier than straight Water. Something about getting back to the optimum level of fluids soothed that lump and pain feeling more than the prescribed meds alone. Dehydration felt like a vicious cycle to me—the less I drank the more pain I felt in my esophagus which led me to drink less and exacerbated the pain.

So I would make it a goal to get back to those high Fluid levels. Hope you feel better.

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:21 AM, BurBur said:

Thanks everyone! I am feeling MUCH better now and am almost back to my pre-issue liquid levels, but have been REALLY scared to try things like Jello and yogurt and runny oatmeal and runny cream of wheat after that. I tried 1 ounce of plain 0% Fage yogurt with a sprinkle of dried sugar-free jello mix and that was ok, but was mucous-y, but not awful. I also have since tried some sugar free jello which was okay and only had 3 ounces over 30 minutes. Definitely sick of the Protein Shakes. Also learning that temperature plays a big role in how it sits with me. Room temp is GROSS, really warm like tea sits well, and ice cold sits well too. So strange. I have 1 week until I am allowed to start soft foods, and may do my own pureed foods week before actually going into the soft foods out of fear (babyfood style). Definitely going to try to stick to whole foods, except for some low/nonfat Condiments and sugar free condiments). I am still dealing with some reflux (my stomach is downright sick and tired of not having real food to process I think, as I'm taking Pepcid twice a day). Overall, feeling much better. Thank you!

She hopefully is, ME pfft sometimes I feel like I will be Strictured forever! 🍤

I had very liquidy mashed potatoes with unflavored Protein in and after a few spoons, I felt that I had swallowed a brick! Started salivate like crazy, thought I was going to throw up. Very uncomfortable.
I think potatoes don’t sit well with most of WLS patients. My nutritionist said that potatoes are very harsh and starchy, that most of her patients have some kind of problem with it.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:40 AM, Freiabr said:

I had very liquidy mashed potatoes with unflavored Protein in and after a few spoons, I felt that I had swallowed a brick! Started salivate like crazy, thought I was going to throw up. Very uncomfortable.
I think potatoes don’t sit well with most of WLS patients. My nutritionist said that potatoes are very harsh and starchy, that most of her patients have some kind of problem with it.

I truly believe that was what caused my issued at 11/12 days post op. The Soup I ate was thickened with potato. I'm 8 weeks post op now and have been able to eat 2-3 Tbsp of mashed potatoes a couple times without issue. meats are still very heavy for me.

13 minutes ago, beingdina said:

I truly believe that was what caused my issued at 11/12 days post op. The Soup I ate was thickened with potato. I'm 8 weeks post op now and have been able to eat 2-3 Tbsp of mashed potatoes a couple times without issue. meats are still very heavy for me.

I'll be 4 weeks post-op tomorrow and still have problems with potatoes. I have to eat very little like 1 tbs mixed in Beans or Soup to not feel anything...I tried mixing 2 tbs in 1/2 cup of beans a couple days ago and felt horrible, like I had this huge thing in my stomach all the way up my throat...I love potatoes but will stay clear from it a few more weeks.

BTW, what app do you use as a signature? Happy scale?

Did anyone find out what NOOM, COM IS?