Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, i am torn as my brain thinks if i stick to Keto then i will lose more weight, but im losing very slow and im wondering if im not eating enough. I am hiting my Water goals. I am 6 weeks post op and have lost 6 pounds in 4 weeks :(.

Most days I have a premier shake with added Protein Powder, 55g total for shake. 2oz chicken and 1/2 cup cauliflower rice. 2 oz ham n cheese, dinner 3oz fish and 1/2 cauliflower mash. This is what i try on a daily basis. Is this too little?

Sent from my VS995 using BariatricPal mobile app

I recommend loggin your food in myfitnesspal, so you can track calories, carbs, Protein, fats.

My surgeon tracks almost 2000 patients. A year after surgery, most are still eating under 1000 calories a day. They are healthy (some need just Vitamins, some also need folic acid and B12 supplements).

Did you put on weight at surgery time? Often people do and it takes a bit to shed that. And many many people have a ‘three week stall’ where the weight loss slows at the 3 week (but can me 6 or 8 or 10 week) mark.

Stick to your programme. At first blush your eating sounds fine at this point - you can’t help but lose. Are you walking? That helps too...

Thank u for your advice and reply. First week after surgery i lost 10 pounds, 2nd week 4. I stalled,for two weeks after. The plan i have from the NUT seems like alot of food but my friend who had surgery is 10 months out and stated she,ate half of what i was eating. How much fat and calories should i be having? Start 322, sw 305, cw 285.

Thank u for your advice and reply. First week after surgery i lost 10 pounds, 2nd week 4. I stalled,for two weeks after. The plan i have from the NUT seems like alot of food but my friend who had surgery is 10 months out and stated she,ate half of what i was eating. How much fat and calories should i be having? Start 322, sw 305, cw 285.

I am almost 7 weeks out and consume 600-700 cal a day. I only have a shake if I can't get my Proteins in through food. Not sure how far along you are, but weight loss is not linear, it is more like a set of stairs. Lose a little, stop, lose, stop.
Your primary focus should be on meeting your Protein and Water goals.

I honestly think your Protein Shake sounds like overkill. Shoot for 60-80g Protein daily (per my RD/program), get your 64+oz liquid in. Eat lean, dense protein first, low glycemic veg second, healthy fats, plus anything else in small quantities. I also was eating somewhere between 500-700cals/day and hitting my goals. I kept carbs down to 20ish grms net--between 20-30g total.

Keto needs to be modified if you're obese. You do not need a bunch of dietary fat when you're trying to burn/utilize fat IMHO. A simple low carb approach works better for me, cuz my fat is much lower than modern day "keto definition" or the "LCHF" regimine. Psssst, I'm still in ketosis by virtue of my caloric restriction and also my carb restriction. LOL. So in "theory" you could say I'm "keto" but I don't do all the fat bomb, exogenous fat stuff right now. Maybe I will add fat once I'm trying to maintain a very low body fat weight...I would theoretically need the exogenous/dietary fat at that point.

Oh and equally important--take those vitamins! Also start walking daily.

Edited by FluffyChix

Good advice above. My surgeon tracks calories in his patients, 1800 or so of us. The vast makkority are 800-1000 calories still at 12-18 months after surgery. At 6 weeks out I was having to work really hard to get in 800 calories a day and 700 was comfortable. If I was doing it again, I would just be content with the 700 and stop worrying, stop listening to the people telling me to increase my calories to break a stall.

I really used this time in my journey to take sugar out of my eating habits. To make treats of things like fish, bacon, cheese not Bagels, donuts, toast. I have consistent habits where, compared to my old habits, I eat more Protein, a bit more fat, and way less simple sugar although good complex carb/fibre intake. These are good habits I will keep for life and will be effortless to maintain because the food is delicious! Nowadays a cafe treat is a haloumi side-order, not a chocolate caramel slice. And I love that.

I'm coming up on 12 weeks and am just barely making 700-800 calories a day. I've read so many folks here mentioning calorie suggestions in there plan at certain stages but it was never a part of mine. I finally asked my NP at my last appointment this past Wednesday. She said not to worry about anything more than Protein and Water intake. Otherwise just listen to your body, if your full don't eat, if your hungry go for it.

@J San I haven't met with my NUT post surgery yet, but my kcal intake came up in conversation with my Surgical PA, she assured me my 600-700 was fine and like you, just make sure I'm getting all my Protein and fluids. working each phase or now week up to 100g of protein per day. She did say that would be a minute before I reached that goal

You make a shake with 55g of Protein? I was told that the human body can't process more than 40g or so at a time.

Yeah that's what I have always heard. You just,**** the rest out. 🚽

1 hour ago, Russ D said:

You make a shake with 55g of Protein? I was told that the human body can't process more than 40g or so at a time.

@Russ D I think that's a myth, maybe...

Brad Pilon has researched this and written pretty extensively about Protein metabolism.

But IMHO, 56g of protein in a shake is overkill, especially at the point where the OP is in post surgery...But I'm just a schmoe on the internet and know nothing, so it's probably even more likely that I'm wrong! 🤣

Silly bunny you are not a Schmo

26 minutes ago, clsumrall said:

Silly bunny you are not a Schmo

Ha! I should go put that on the misspelling rant! :) I can't even spell that correctly! So I think that proves that I am! ;) hehe

Used to worry when I was younger that I would develop a disease,i couldn't spell! Now,ilet the letters fall where they may, maybe I'll be just an " orphan" disease. Look for Frustr8itis on the future landscape!