Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ever since I was approved for surgery about 3 weeks ago, I have been eating so poorly. I have been eating every single thing I have convinced myself I will "never have again"... to the point of absurdity. Like a bucket list. I am eating worse than I ever have in my entire life, probably. I am really struggling to get on track. I had no weight loss requirement before surgery or anything, and my doctor knows I've gained weight but said it was okay at my last appointment with him. Because he said it was okay, my brain gave me a free leash to just go and eat whatever junk I can find. I'm struggling to stop. My lunch today was just a huge plate of potato and macaroni salad... followed, ironically, by an Atkins bar. My Breakfast was brownies and Doritos. And I don't even LIKE sweets. I have to start the pre-op liquid (I get one meal a day) diet on the 16th. Did anyone struggle with this coming up to their surgery? I saw some people in Reddit refer to it as their food funerals.

Edited by mousecat88

It is certainly not an abnormal behavior. The reality is that you will eat these items again though. I have eaten Doritos gasp! I have eaten a small bit of a brownie or a cupcake, oh no!

The difference is after surgery you are most likely going to experience less tolerance and less cravings for these items. Once you start to lose weight, you will desire them even less because your progress and non scale victories will motivate you to stay on track 90 percent of the time.

We are human though, and food tastes good. We are meant to enjoy certain things in life, and in moderation I think food can be one of those things.

I would try and stay away from that food funeral thinking. You’re going to set yourself up for having a hard time staying on track for your pre op diet. You don’t want to really gain twenty pounds before surgery anyways and I would not test the surgeon on his no gain policy with a large gain.

Set yourself up for success preop, and you can definitely lose some pounds and have a smooth transition for after your surgery.

It is certainly not an abnormal behavior. The reality is that you will eat these items again though. I have eaten Doritos gasp! I have eaten a small bit of a brownie or a cupcake, oh no!
The difference is after surgery you are most likely going to experience less tolerance and less cravings for these items. Once you start to lose weight, you will desire them even less because your progress and non scale victories will motivate you to stay on track 90 percent of the time.
We are human though, and food tastes good. We are meant to enjoy certain things in life, and in moderation I think food can be one of those things.
I would try and stay away from that food funeral thinking. You’re going to set yourself up for having a hard time staying on track for your pre op diet. You don’t want to really gain twenty pounds before surgery anyways and I would not test the surgeon on his no gain policy with a large gain.
Set yourself up for success preop, and you can definitely lose some pounds and have a smooth transition for after your surgery.
I'm going to try. Monday is my big trip to buy a ton of shakes and puree baby foods. I've already gained 10 or 15lbs since my first appointment. I am scared of when I go back, which is the day before my surgery, and I will have gained even more. Hopefully if I can stick to the preop, I can get closer to my starting weight. [emoji53]

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

Ever since I was approved for surgery about 3 weeks ago, I have been eating so poorly. I have been eating every single thing I have convinced myself I will "never have again"... to the point of absurdity. Like a bucket list. I am eating worse than I ever have in my entire life, probably. I am really struggling to get on track. I had no weight loss requirement before surgery or anything, and my doctor knows I've gained weight but said it was okay at my last appointment with him. Because he said it was okay, my brain gave me a free leash to just go and eat whatever junk I can find. I'm struggling to stop. My lunch today was just a huge plate of potato and macaroni salad... followed, ironically, by an Atkins bar. My Breakfast was brownies and Doritos. And I don't even LIKE sweets. I have to start the pre-op liquid (I get one meal a day) diet on the 16th. Did anyone struggle with this coming up to their surgery? I saw some people in Reddit refer to it as their food funerals.
I had my "last supper" because I'd convinced myself that it was the last time I'd have those things. Well I was right and wrong. In December, 2017, i gave up bread, rice, Pasta and potatoes...it was hard because I really loved bread. Im almost six months post op and down 62 pounds. I've had some sweets, but can only have a few bites. Your new sleeve will not hold much. What you're experiencing is normal. Most of us have been there. Trust me, when you start to lose weight, you'll look at foods differently.

Sleeved on April 25, 2018
HW: 258
SW: 238
CW: 199
GW: 165

I ate things I felt I wouldn't be allowed to eat after surgery. For some reason cheesecake was the biggest craving I had and I made several pies in the weeks leading up to my pre-op diet. I did gain a few pounds the week before the diet because that's when I had my funerals. Don't feel bad about it but know you have to get it under control. It might put you in a bad spot after surgery when your hangry and can't have the things you were allowed prior. A HUGE part of this process is mental and you have to come to understand that if you havn't already. Do know though that nothing is restricted completely after but you'll be given an opportunity to learn how to control the urges and cravings.

My food funeral was the day before I started pre-op 2 weeks of full liquids. My BF was sweet and made my favorite meals knowing it would be awhile before I saw any of it.
I didn't want to gain weight because I was already stressed over the liver shrinking diet. I heard and read horror stories of surgeries being canceled mid-way because the liver was not small enough.

I'm now almost 7 weeks post op and happy I followed directions and the things I thought I'd miss, I really don't.

On 10/6/2018 at 10:54 PM, MargoCL said:

My food funeral was the day before I started pre-op 2 weeks of full liquids. My BF was sweet and made my favorite meals knowing it would be awhile before I saw any of it.
I didn't want to gain weight because I was already stressed over the liver shrinking diet. I heard and read horror stories of surgeries being canceled mid-way because the liver was not small enough.

I'm now almost 7 weeks post op and happy I followed directions and the things I thought I'd miss, I really don't.

I think that's why I've been so lackadaisical about sticking to a good diet beforehand. My ultrasound showed my liver had no fatty deposits on it at all and was completely normal-sized. So I've been like "haha whatever! eating junk isn't going to suddenly make my liver fat in 3 weeks." I'm 7 days now from the pre-op diet and just want one more thing and then I'm done indulging.

3 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

I think that's why I've been so lackadaisical about sticking to a good diet beforehand. My ultrasound showed my liver had no fatty deposits on it at all and was completely normal-sized. So I've been like "haha whatever! eating junk isn't going to suddenly make my liver fat in 3 weeks." I'm 7 days now from the pre-op diet and just want one more thing and then I'm done indulging.

My liver was normal sized as well prior to surgery, but I wasn't going to over indulge in the weeks leading up surgery. And my food funeral was very minimal (breakfast burger, Keto pizza for lunch and steak for dinner). I still stuck to my low carb regimen.

I've heard too many horror stories of people having their surgeries canceled because they didn't follow protocol. I wasn't going to be one of those statistics.

10 minutes ago, MargoCL said:

I've heard too many horror stories of people having their surgeries canceled because they didn't follow protocol. I wasn't going to be one of those statistics.

Yeah, I'm going to get my act together today. I've decided to start the pre-op diet 6 days early, just to help maybe counter a bit of the damage I've done over the last 3 weeks. A lot of people (pretty much everyone) said they had food funerals.. some more extreme than others... and they all regret doing so, even though it didn't affect their outcome. But just because ... what's the point? I think I've gotten a good grip on things now so I feel like I got it out of my system.

It doesn’t seem to be unusual to have those moments. I mourned pizza and would eat half of a large pepperoni pizza by myself and have lava cake for dessert. It was a weekly occurrence for at least a year and something I am not proud of... I did that one more time the night before I started my pre-op diet. I did that again, despite months of careful food journaling to put me in the best possible condition I could be for surgery. The end result was getting unbelievably sick from the sudden influx of calories, grease, and salt. I am not at a point where I can eat solids yet, but in the future (when I can stand to look at it again, much less eat it), I will enjoy a slice of pizza again. Many of us have done things like what you and I did and gotten through it. I know you can too!

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:44 PM, mousecat88 said:

I can totally relate to this! I did exactly this!!!!!!!!!!!! I had no weight requirements and my PCP was so understanding of my weight gain. Two months before my surgery (Sept) I ate absolutely the worst I've ever ate. Like bread w/ every meal. Pasta. Potatoes. Ohmygosh. I can even begin to describe but I felt like you and I thought i needed to. But then I went for my last appointment the weigh in or whatnot its called and realized OMG I'm the heaviest I've ever been and I gained SO much weight! And something like clicked and I left the office and said no more!!!!!! And I did the shake thing and a one small meal thing up to the 2 weeks before the surgery (which is next week btw) and the weight is like coming off so fast already just by eating right! Its crazy.

Anywho. Point is. You can do this. We will eat delicious foods again, but this is a tool for us not to eat ALL the delicious foods lol . We got this!!! You got this!!! :)

I did practically the same thing. I was given my surgery date (October 29) the first week of October. (I was hoping for sometime after Thanksgiving. ) My husband grilled all my favorite foods in the next couple weeks and the day before I started my liquid diet we went out for lunch and dinner and followed it up with a movie with popcorn and slushies. I know people who have been through the surgery kept telling me, it isn't the end of the world and I can still eat (small portions) of what I want after surgery but I am scared to death because that isn't what my surgeon is telling me. He is claiming that with the reduced stomach capacity, by the time I do my shakes, Multivitamins, and Fluid intake, I won't have time/room for "empty calories" unless I stretch my pouch. I will have a few bites of Protein and vegetable at meals. I WANT to believe the people who have been there done that, but it's hard to ignore what the doctors are saying.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using BariatricPal mobile app

I can relate. I ate so horribly before surgery because I felt like I was never going to be able to eat those foods again. My doctor warned me of this but it didn’t stop me. Now that I am about 3 months post VSG I can eat whatever I want (in small portions).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thing is... after surgery... I don't WANT to eat what I want now. Because all I want now is junk which is how I got this size. So, for me, it truly was a goodbye. I don't intend on giving into my cravings or even if I dont have cravings... having any of the junky stuff I enjoy now. I can't do it because it's a slippery slope. It's better to abstain. I'm on the pre-op diet now so my food funerals are over for real. Taking this bit seriously.

I did gain 15lbs though during my food binge! But, day 2 on pre-op and I've already dropped 3lbs of Water weight. So... it's fixable. I don't regret my food funerals. I would have regretted it if I didn't do it, lol. The last of a bad habit. Like savoring the last cig before you quit.