Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am not 5 weeks post op RNY. I didn't realize just how much food and $$ I would waste. And to a point it is starting to get to me. Any one else having this issue?

I originally bought my Vitamins after sampling them pre op. Now post op I CANT stand them and have now switched to capsules. (By my doctors recommendation) So right there is 60$ throw away from my first bag of vitamins that I can not take.

I bought my Protein Powder and shakes before hand also. After I tried and drank them for a couple weeks. Loved them pre op. Now post op I CAN NOT STAND ANY artificial Protein. I am strictly getting protein from food. So that is another 140$ wasted on full containers of protein that I cant drink. (even the unflavored IS flavored to me)

Making food is where I feel I am wasting also. I have been doing a lot of been Soups and chili's and throw everything in crock pot and bam I have food. But its so much food and I am not eating all that much I am throwing also away. I had one batch that I did freeze but when I thawed it I could not eat it. Tasted off and I did not like it. So the extra food I throw away that's also throwing away $.

I get my new tummy cant take in that much and I will be wasting food. I just did not realize just how much that would be.....

Yes, I think you will find through a variety of posts that many of us over bought in preparation because we tested and liked something pre surgery only to find out post our new tummys were not as keen on the product. I sucked up the chewable vitamins for 2 months (1/2 pre op) and finishing the 2nd bottle now and have moved onto the the same brand (BP Multi once a day) in capsule form.

As for the premade Protein Shakes, I divide them into three uses, and add 1/3 of the bottle to my Decaf coffee, it seems to work. But I have 2 1/2 full canisters of whey Protein Powder that I'm struggling with as well. including a lot of other products I purchased thinking, "oh this will be great" - I am slowly depleting the items but I will have some for months to come without the need to purchase.

As for cooking, I cook for 3 people, which is somewhat helpful so leftovers are minimal. For work, I've started buying the pre-sized / packed foods for lunches (Tuna Creations, cottage cheese, yogurt, chicken salad, hummus, guacamole, etc). They are the perfect size and I no longer feel like I"m wasting if I throw out a bite or two. I may spend a few cents more in the beginning, but for me it's all about convenience and the ability to not through away foods. I won't even prep and cook extra anymore, it's just not worth it.

Your profile says you live in Michigan, I'm not sure if you have an Aldi there... but aside from the cottage cheese and tuna creations, I buy the remainder of my prepacked foods there). They have a great BBQ Pulled Pork and Chicken for $3.99 - it's package so you the sauce doesn't smother the entire meat so I can remove the sauce and just have the meat. For a couple dollars more, their pork carnitas are the bomb and super moist. They sell out quickly. I've learned to buy things that are more economical and tummy friendly. Fresh sliced deli meat (turkey especially) is a great soft food resource and if the grocery sales are in your favor, really economical.

I too expected big changes with my belly and I should've listened to a lot of people that said don't over pack for the hospital and don't over buy for the post WLS because there will be a lot of waste... Hopefully someone reading our posts will listen and not go through what we did... :) :)

I'm sorry you are having these experiences. It's got to suck big ones.

But my reality is:

1. I can't afford the luxury of being picky and allowing my taster to dictate my preferences and brain.

2. I didn't experience any of that--but I learned to hate leftovers quickly so did not freeze a whole bunch of "my stuff"--but to this day, I still have and use our homemade frozen Soups and chilis.

Also, if Protein Drinks are too sweet, try cutting them 50%/50% with: coffee, tea, Fairlife Milk, etc.

If my frozen things have an "off" taste, I figured out a long time ago to disguise them with hot sauce and other zero cal sauces and spices. But I cook spicy (not hot) stuff, so no doubt, if it was plain jane it would taste "off" too.

Hope you can get over your taste aversion soon. It makes life extremely difficult imho.

12 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

None of your products are refundable? I bought things from places specifically based on their refund policies.

But hindsight is 20/20...

They are all open. So unfortunately no. I did mention something to my doc office that is they know someone who is having trouble affording these things I will donate them. Just hard to say if someone will even want them seeing they are open. But literally maybe once scoop gone out of each of the 4 full containers I have. and maybe less than 5 Vitamins out of a bag of 60. :( o well we live and we learn right.

17 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

I'm sorry you are having these experiences. It's got to suck big ones.

But my reality is:

1. I can't afford the luxury of being picky and allowing my taster to dictate my preferences and brain.

2. I didn't experience any of that--but I learned to hate leftovers quickly so did not freeze a whole bunch of "my stuff"--but to this day, I still have and use our homemade frozen Soups and chilis.

Also, if Protein Drinks are too sweet, try cutting them 50%/50% with: coffee, tea, Fairlife Milk, etc.

If my frozen things have an "off" taste, I figured out a long time ago to disguise them with hot sauce and other zero cal sauces and spices. But I cook spicy (not hot) stuff, so no doubt, if it was plain jane it would taste "off" too.

Hope you can get over your taste aversion soon. It makes life extremely difficult imho.

At first I was splitting my Protein with coffee but now cant even drink that. I was a big coffee drinker before. and now even trying different brands and flavors I cant do that either. I kind of like my taste aversion seeing as it keeps my diet simple and I don't have to have that mental fight of what will I eat today. I stick with the few things I can eat and like. And that is all I really crave. I used to drink Propel because just plain Water was hard for me to drink but now that is all I want to drink. I crave water! I have recently started to like drinking milk which I didn't before so now I am on the hunt for the best milk to drink. I only have maybe 1/4 cup if that but still want it to count.

I have tried masked that "off" taste but I HATE and cant handle spice. lol. No hot sauce here I would die HAHA.

This week has been better about waste. I made some Beans and ham (without the ham really) Soup in the crock pot this weekend. I just used a couple ham hocks with my beans and lots of veggies. and I have ate that all week for lunch and some days supper. I don't think I will have to throw that much out really so that is def a step in the right direction.

With each day, week that passes it does get easier and you learn to accommodate your new pouch. Cooking for one is hard. Do you have friends that you can swap recipes / food with? I had a friend where she'd cook and share and vice versa. It makes things a little easier. I also use to get paid to cook for people I work with. I'd buy the food and cook / prep so they didn't have to... literally no left overs....

1 hour ago, AshMarie794 said:

They are all open. So unfortunately no. I did mention something to my doc office that is they know someone who is having trouble affording these things I will donate them. Just hard to say if someone will even want them seeing they are open. But literally maybe once scoop gone out of each of the 4 full containers I have. and maybe less than 5 Vitamins out of a bag of 60. :( o well we live and we learn right.

That's too bad, but charity is a vert good option! if that doesnt work check return policy again. I have returned open and used products...

GNC took back ultra expensive Proteins that were opened and used if it fits the criteria , Walmart and Sam's club always takes back opened stuff within reason

Edited by GreenTealael

I overbought some things. Have a 20 pack of Protein Water I will never drink in the pantry unless it’s for a hurricane emergency.

I do get sick of leftovers but I’m ok with that. I freeze some and try to make less but I do throw away food. Once I eat something four or five days in a row I’m sick of it.

We live and learn through this process I guess! 😂

17 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Celebrate will take back opened Vitamins

I am taking Bariatric Advantage. I bought the chewy bites in black cherry. But am now on capsules. I am going to post on my bariatric groups on FB that I have these and find them a new home.

4 hours ago, KimTriesRNY said:

I overbought some things. Have a 20 pack of Protein Water I will never drink in the pantry unless it’s for a hurricane emergency.

I do get sick of leftovers but I’m ok with that. I freeze some and try to make less but I do throw away food. Once I eat something four or five days in a row I’m sick of it.

We live and learn through this process I guess! 😂

That Protein Water was the worst!!!! My fiancé drank them just to get them gone but even he struggled.

2 minutes ago, AshMarie794 said:

That Protein Water was the worst!!!! My fiancé drank them just to get them gone but even he struggled.

I found that if they are super cold, the thick almost chalkiness goes away. But have to be colder than cold...it was the only way we could finally use them up

Edited by MargoCL

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:33 AM, AshMarie794 said:

So I am not 5 weeks post op RNY. I didn't realize just how much food and $$ I would waste. And to a point it is starting to get to me. Any one else having this issue?

I originally bought my Vitamins after sampling them pre op. Now post op I CANT stand them and have now switched to capsules. (By my doctors recommendation) So right there is 60$ throw away from my first bag of Vitamins that I can not take.

I bought my Protein Powder and shakes before hand also. After I tried and drank them for a couple weeks. Loved them pre op. Now post op I CAN NOT STAND ANY artificial Protein. I am strictly getting Protein from food. So that is another 140$ wasted on full containers of protein that I cant drink. (even the unflavored IS flavored to me)

Making food is where I feel I am wasting also. I have been doing a lot of been Soups and chili's and throw everything in crock pot and bam I have food. But its so much food and I am not eating all that much I am throwing also away. I had one batch that I did freeze but when I thawed it I could not eat it. Tasted off and I did not like it. So the extra food I throw away that's also throwing away $.

I get my new tummy cant take in that much and I will be wasting food. I just did not realize just how much that would be.....

I def over prepared and bought things I didn't end up using or needing. Even down to liquid Tylenol that I never needed... and I'm not going to take that stuff now, not in liquid form anyway. It's a temporary draw back to the surgery, but perhaps you can donate that stuff to your surgical office to give away to patients starting out?

Honestly, as far as food is concerned... I freeze a lot of left-overs but I also don't make as much anymore. I steer away from big crock pot recipes and casserole dishes that I know will go to waste. The only other possibility is to eat the same thing for lunch and dinner multiple days...but who wants to do that lol...

What a great idea. I too donated my stuff to my cousin who just had surgery. I was happy to see it all go.

Sent from my LGMS210 using BariatricPal mobile app