Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Constantly Tired @ 2 Weeks

Hi friends,

I’m two weeks post-op for VSG and have been VERY tired the whole time. I have needed midday marathon naps, and it’s been consistently every day. Interested in hearing from anyone else who may have felt this way.

I’m a sing person, live alone, and have a pretty quiet life and not driving yet. I have been walking my dog on short walks.

Thanks in advance!

9 hours ago, Spellbound said:

Hi friends,

I’m two weeks post-op for VSG and have been VERY tired the whole time. I have needed midday marathon naps, and it’s been consistently every day. Interested in hearing from anyone else who may have felt this way.

I’m a sing person, live alone, and have a pretty quiet life and not driving yet. I have been walking my dog on short walks.

Thanks in advance!

More than likely this is due to healing and the reduced caloric intake. It should get better with time.

I was like that my first week for sure and into my second week as well. I would come home from work and take a 30-minute nap to get re-energized. As Matt noted, it does get better with time.

I haven't had surgery yet...hopefully this January...but one of my coworkers had it done a few months ago and she said she was exhausted the first three weeks! It was all she could do to muster the energy to take a shower but then it passed :)

It's pretty normal to have a certain amount of fatigue in the first couple of weeks. #1-you had surgery and there's a certain amount of healing that needs to be done. Your body is expending energy to do that. #2-your caloric intake is significantly less, so you don't have the energy intake to help with the healing.

I returned to work after 1 week. I was functional, but I needed more frequent breaks and even fell asleep on a lunch break! Even after that, I seemed to "crash" every Thursday. I'd look and feel up to normal, but on Thursday evening, as soon as I sat down in my living room chair, I'd fall asleep. This went on for a few weeks, but it does get better.

It really is pretty normal. Your body has been through trauma. your intake has changed. Anesthesia takes a toll. so many factors. Just press on but follow your body's cues. When you really start to bounce back you will be amazed how invigorated you feel. There are just so many confusing phases along the way that are just temporary!

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:26 PM, Spellbound said:

Hi friends,

Thanks in advance!

I was also very tired for a long time. I remember leaving a whole cart of groceries in the store because I couldn't figure out how I would push it to the register, unload it onto the belt, and load into the car, MUCH LESS unload it at home. I just left it all together. I was exhausted until I reached the soft food phase and started increasing my calories. Once I started eating a more substantial amount, I felt so much better and even started exercising. This is another reason I advocate longer time off of work, because it truly does take 4-6 weeks to recover from this surgery.

@AshAsh1 thank you for making me feel like I am not a defect. I appreciate your attentive response. I hit the soft food stage Thursday and feel so much better!! I have to figure out how to make balanced 2/3 oz meals, but I am so much more alert and active. I’m three weeks out and would love another week but I need to go back to work (benefits reasons - which is why I wanted earlier in the year). Also, I don’t want to be home alone anymore (single gal). I enjoy it but I’ll enjoy it too much. I think I can work part of the day or week at home if I feel too exhausted.

6 minutes ago, Spellbound said:

@AshAsh1 thank you for making me feel like I am not a defect. I appreciate your attentive response. I hit the soft food stage Thursday and feel so much better!! I have to figure out how to make balanced 2/3 oz meals, but I am so much more alert and active. I’m three weeks out and would love another week but I need to go back to work (benefits reasons - which is why I wanted earlier in the year). Also, I don’t want to be home alone anymore (single gal). I enjoy it but I’ll enjoy it too much. I think I can work part of the day or week at home if I feel too exhausted.

You are sooo welcome! I'm glad you are feeling better. I know that some people can't take the extra time, and that's OK too, but just know your limitations and listen to your body. Glad you have the flexibility to work from home if needed.

On 10/3/2018 at 6:53 PM, kygirl68 said:

I haven't had surgery yet...hopefully this January...but one of my coworkers had it done a few months ago and she said she was exhausted the first three weeks! It was all she could do to muster the energy to take a shower but then it passed :)

I get easily winded after a shower. Takes hours for me to pull it together. I have to use my inhaler.

Everyone - thank you for helping me feel normal. For some reason I didn’t see any of your responses and I also suck at this forum platform (probably because I’m so tired!!). Anyway I am still choosing my bed over everything but will to try to do a little more today with the energy I have. Back to work on Monday.

I am 6 days post op - I know this is an older post

but if made me feel better so THANKS TO ALL

I am sooooo tired and I was getting scared thinking - is this my life now blah blah

I have a hard time taking it easy and patience - but I am going to HAVE TO TAKE IT EASY AND BE PATIENT