Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2018 Sleevers!

I eat like a sloth very slow. And I eat on a butter plate too lol and use my 2 year old granddaughters fork and spoon. I don’t ever feel empty or hungry. I have to make myself eat. I want to work out a lot. That’s awesome that you do that. Oh and I hate my Bariatric Advantage Vitamins and calcium chews and my doc says I can’t change to pills until I am 6 months out.

Yup the Vitamins make me a bit nauseous too

Thanks, Steve!... Like many of us - I am striving for that 199 pd. milestone come Spring! It has been over 20 years since I was under 200. ;[ So, I am very excited to know the sleeve will assist me to never going back to that place again. Congratulations!!! on your 46 loss. Just think 36 pounds more to go AND we will all be admiring you on the June cover of GQ! ;]

Ladies, I also struggled with nausea from Vitamin regime, but I think thru trial & error (and, throwing a lot of gag stuff away) over the past few weeks - I found Flintstones complete (2 a day) recommended by LOLO, Celebrate B-12 quick melt and calcium citrate orange soft chews to be working well. It helps to take them after a meal, and I try to stagger the doses (while not very convenient) for less irritation.

Like Steve, I am tolerating solid meat Proteins well. Just had Chipotle pulled pork recipe from Sarah Kent's cookbook for Sleeves (a bariatric nutritionist from a surgery center of excellence). Only eat ¼ - ½ servings and instead of a bun - I wrap three little sandwiches in english cucumber (almost seedless) or Bibb lettuce leaf (soft). Delicious and long satisfying! Her recipes have kept me sane, and do introduce balance like Steve mentioned, other important nutrients besides "all protein" especially, post op 6 - 7 weeks and onward... If you are able to tolerate.

Many are very happy eating clinically and precise just for fuel... I have always been a foodie, and have enjoyed experimenting with new and better ways of eating for a long-term, sustainable Sleeve lifestyle. We also like to entertain.

Her baked vanilla oatmeal with various fruit options is excellent with high Protein ingredients. I have this many mornings heated with a little 1% milk to soften. It keeps me energized without a drain. I am losing right on schedule without crave or hunger which is also Sarah's goal for scientifically sound formulated menus.

Unfortunately, I never liked Greek yogurt, flaked fishes, crab or tuna fish without a mayo mask. Her book does include a Fish chapter with dishes I plan to try and be open to... Shrimp cocktail tonight. ;]

I think all our December Sleevers are doing great each at their own pace thru the good, bad and ugly! None of this is a tip toe thru the tulips!

Well done Sophie ! I have to try that cook book . We just had pancko crusted cod for dinner tonight with a nice lemon tartar sauce on top - with broccoli , I almost feel normal ! I need more recipes

Oh Lolo that sounds good... I really need to learn to like more seafoods!!!!! Cod is less fishy tasting, right? Just can't handle salmon, but understand it is the gold standard of fish. Tried it so many ways BUT no go. I had hoped when I awoke from surgery... I'd all the sudden like fish! They say your tastes can change with sleeve.

BTW, What's the temp up north - really cold as the national news claims? It's rainy here.

So cold - going to 4 degrees this week ! The fish is crispy cod, on Bariastic

48 minutes ago, Sophie7713 said:

Thanks, Steve!... Like many of us - I am striving for that 199 pd. milestone come Spring! It has been over 20 years since I was under 200. ;[ So, I am very excited to know the sleeve will assist me to never going back to that place again. Congratulations!!! on your 46 loss. Just think 36 pounds more to go AND we will all be admiring you on the June cover of GQ! ;]

Ladies, I also struggled with nausea from Vitamin regime, but I think thru trial & error (and, throwing a lot of gag stuff away) over the past few weeks - I found Flintstones complete (2 a day) recommended by LOLO, Celebrate B-12 quick melt and calcium citrate orange soft chews to be working well. It helps to take them after a meal, and I try to stagger the doses (while not very convenient) for less irritation.

Like Steve, I am tolerating solid meat Proteins well. Just had Chipotle pulled pork recipe from Sarah Kent's cookbook for Sleeves (a bariatric nutritionist from a surgery center of excellence). Only eat ¼ - ½ servings and instead of a bun - I wrap three little sandwiches in english cucumber (almost seedless) or Bibb lettuce leaf (soft). Delicious and long satisfying! Her recipes have kept me sane, and do introduce balance like Steve mentioned, other important nutrients besides "all protein" especially, post op 6 - 7 weeks and onward... If you are able to tolerate.

Many are very happy eating clinically and precise just for fuel... I have always been a foodie, and have enjoyed experimenting with new and better ways of eating for a long-term, sustainable Sleeve lifestyle. We also like to entertain.

Her baked vanilla oatmeal with various fruit options is excellent with high Protein ingredients. I have this many mornings heated with a little 1% milk to soften. It keeps me energized without a drain. I am losing right on schedule without crave or hunger which is also Sarah's goal for scientifically sound formulated menus.

Unfortunately, I never liked Greek yogurt, flaked fishes, crab or tuna fish without a mayo mask. Her book does include a Fish chapter with dishes I plan to try and be open to... Shrimp cocktail tonight. ;]

I think all our December Sleevers are doing great each at their own pace thru the good, bad and ugly! None of this is a tip toe thru the tulips!

Thanks Sophie! I’m going to look up the Sarah Kent cookbook. I’m down 28lbs. But I’m having problems with my main puncture site healing. It’s a small open hole that I have to pack twice a day. So once this heals I’ll be cleared for exercise. I’m still off from work as well.

On 1/26/2019 at 3:58 PM, Jeelena2019 said:

I eat like a sloth very slow. And I eat on a butter plate too lol and use my 2 year old granddaughters fork and spoon. I don’t ever feel empty or hungry. I have to make myself eat. I want to work out a lot. That’s awesome that you do that. Oh and I hate my Bariatric Advantage Vitamins and calcium chews and my doc says I can’t change to pills until I am 6 months out.

Really? My doctor said the opposite. He told me I could ditch the bariatric chewables for regular pills, but go with high quality Vitamins (not the Centrum crap). I personally like the Methyl Life brand for a Multivitamin. It has the best forms of each Vitamin and, since they are methylated, its much easier for your body to absorb. You have to go sublingual for your biotine and B12 (they don't absorb well in pill form). I am taking Iron, Vitamin C and potassium in a pill form now. I don't take Calcium since I am prone to developing kidney stones.

On 1/26/2019 at 4:45 PM, NuMe2 said:

As soon as I finish all the chewable vitamins going to try the patch Vitamins they sell. Read the reviews and seem to work just as well. Calcium chewable is the worst for me, I have caramel (gag) chocolate (tolerable) cherry (really chalky) Variety of shakes, but still getting burnt out on them.

I would be careful with the patch. My surgeon is against them and I there's no real research out there to show how much of the Vitamins you can actually absorb trans-dermally. I wouldn't take the chance with those personally.

On 1/26/2019 at 4:45 PM, NuMe2 said:

As soon as I finish all the chewable vitamins going to try the patch Vitamins they sell. Read the reviews and seem to work just as well. Calcium chewable is the worst for me, I have caramel (gag) chocolate (tolerable) cherry (really chalky) Variety of shakes, but still getting burnt out on them.

My surgeon advised against the Patches and said to stick with the chewables. She said not enough research to support how much absorption you really get from the patch

Hey everyone!

Though I have been silent, I've been doing my best to keep up with all the post. I have to go back and read the latest, but for the most part I am all caught up. I haven't been as active on here (as far as responding) as I will be. It has taken me a while to get my bearings. I had a MAJOR issue with vomiting and while I still have my moments, it has gotten better.

I can eat 3 ounces or so before I am full. Shrimp is really my go to. It really helps me with my Protein count as well as it's just easier for me to digest. I am not a fan of Protein Shakes anymore; however, I have to have them to meet my numbers. Protein yogurt, protein Water (protein h2o not premier protein), the occasional Protein Bar all come in handy for me.

I had been working diligently to get under 200... I FINALLY did after 2 weeks of the scale not moving. I don't weigh myself daily. I honestly am not interested in how much weight I lose weekly. I am just focusing on meeting my overall goals.. under 200 by Feb 1st, lose another 20 by the end of March, etc.

Water has not been working for me. I don't like the "taste" now. Pre surgery I consumed 100-120 ounces of plain water each day. I am having to use Crystal Light packs to get the water down mostly, but there are times that I do try to force it down without.

There are so many changes that you go through post surgery. I am sure I am missing a lot, but look forward to being more active now. I am just focusing on what's before me and slowly plowing ahead and being patient with myself. I hope everyone is allowing a little grace and patience to flow your way.

How is everyone else coming along?

Hi Psyched! Many congratulations on reaching 200! This is an auspicious occasion - especially given some of your specific challenges... Wow! Divide and Conquer. So good to hear from you again. So very happy for you. ;]

It is challenging . I have gone back to my entire crazy life of traveling a lot and running around plus working out . I sometimes forget completely I have a sleeve . Like today , where I had a Protein Drink in am, did spinning , ran home to shower and change and run to city for meeting . A poached egg before I left for city and brought a Protein drink . Didn’t finish it all and since I am getting on a plane at 5, stopped at a deli for a scoop of tuna salad . Got in car and took a few bites - too big , too fast , while I was on a work call . That didn’t work and trying to do my call while driving and throwing up was a challenge . This is hard !!!

Some of you successful people, please take a minute or two and help me out. I need like a “schedule” of eating and DRINKING! Dr said sip on something all day long. Well. I need more specifics. How much and how often so I can get the 64 oz in. I’m staying dehydrated with constant UTI. And my PCP thinks I’m headed to kidney stones.
I’ve always just considered myself so dern smart, but I’m lost. Help please.