Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2018 Sleevers!

Hi Sophie , had my surgery done on the 20 th by DR Shillingford near boca . I am down 30lbs since I started the preop diet , 25 since surgery . Also on purées and soft foods . Have tried chicken salad and didn’t do well so I am sticking with 2’protein drinks a day and a little cottage cheese . Have only been able to get down soft flaky fish as a proper solid here and there . At 600 calories a day and 60-80g of Protein the weight is steadily coming off 3-4 lbs a week. Interestingly the more liquid I drink, the more I lose . Getting close to the 200 mark now and really can’t wait , haven’t been under 200lbs in 20 years !

So I’m reading about different diets Keto seems great except lots of fat but paleo sounds pretty close to what we are allowed high Protein low carb am I right?

On 11/22/2018 at 9:16 PM, Happy Sleever said:

Anyone from palm beach county Florida?

Hi Ms. Stacy! Floridians and surgery twins, Yeah!!! ;] We were in the 40's last night closing all the windows... love this weather with no need for a/c or heat. I am currently trying to work in all the Vitamins required per day. The large disc orange chewables by Celebrate really made me gag and can't seem to tolerate them. We re-ordered capsule form for multi and Calcium, and I'll try again. ;[ A bit overwhelming since I never took even a multi pre-op. Overall, so glad to be rid of all liquids and puree phases. Yuck! Soft food phase apparently very important according to my surgeon to begin to re-train our tiny stomachs to function at digesting again or it get's lazy. Like you, continue to work in Water and Protein. Most days I come up short, but feel I am doing the best I can given all the major changes in such a compact timeline. Congratulations on 20 pounds, Ms. Stacy! Outstanding! I have stalled at 225 but feel I'm shrinking everyday despite the scales. How are you doing with the Vitamin regime?! Happy day! ;]

I haven't read much on Paleo, but I have been essentially following a ketogenic diet since surgery. I am eating less than 20g of net carbs per day, between 90-150g of Protein a day and around 30-40g of fat per day. Following a true Keto diet would require that increase my caloric intake, in the form of good fats, and probably maintain my current protein intake or even reduce it a bit. As a one month post-op VSG patient, that's not going to work for me--so this is the best I can do at this point in time. Nevertheless, I have been in ketosis for about 2.5 weeks (which is the point of keto, right???). It got me out of my first big stall and I have been on the happy train since. Also, I am probably eating more calories that most VSG patients that are 4 weeks post-op since I am having a great recovery.

Liquids go down like pre-op, so I have been able to hit the gym hard and without any discomfort. I am working out about 2 hours each morning before Breakfast (on a fast), which burns 20% more fat than after eating. My workouts have been most moderate to high intensity cardio. I am just starting to add strength training--slowly and gently--into my routine. I had my surgery on 12/17 and I am currently consuming between 750 and 1050 calories per day (most often between 850 and 950). I am eating some foods, like avocado, that are high in good fats (but are also high in calories), along with smoked salmon, eggs etc. I have cut back on protein shakes--trying to get my protein from whole foods. I weigh out all my food on a scale so I can input my food intake into MyFitnessPal app, which I use religiously. I don't trust myself to guestimate (that used to get me into trouble in past diets--like Weight Watchers). MyFitnessPal isn't perfect, but it gives you a very good idea of your caloric and nutrient intake and you can review your macros to make sure you're on track. I do get very hungry at nights--which was a big problem for me pre-op (and appears to remain a problem). I have been drinking apple cider vinegar (2 tablespoons, mixed with 8oz of Water and a little lemon juice and splenda (quarter packet)), which seems to kill the hunger and is supposed reduce insulin sensitivity.

As for results, I am now down 21 pounds since surgery (12/17) and 32 since my pre-op diet (12/3). I have also gained 6.5 pounds of muscle (mostly in my legs from Spin Class)--according to my BIA scale. Although my total numbers lost won't blow anyone away, I was a low BMI patient (had lots of nasty co-morbidities)--so those are impressive for me (I think). I am really thrilled though, since I have gone from wearing a size 42 (which were snug) on 12/3 to a size 36 pant as of today (and they look nice on me!!!). That's 6 pant sized in 6 weeks. This is the thinnest I have been in at least 12 years and I am just getting started. I still have 40 pounds to go, but I honestly feel I can get there for the first time in my life!

Edited by SteveT74

Steve why have U jettisoned shakes ? I am convinced that the name of the game is to pack the most Protein in fornthr least calories and the shakes get u there . My pure Protein Shakes are 35g of protein for only 160 calories . My doc says drink at least one shake a day until ur at goal - I am trying to do 2 and am going to start green smoothies with unflavored protein so I can get veggies together with protein . I am down 30 since preop and 23 since 12/20 surgery .

Wow that’s great! Yea it seems like the only difference is that we take in more Proteins than fats I’ve been measuring and using Baritastic. The hardest thing is coming home and making food for my son that is so drastically different from what I can eat. So looking for something like Keto or paleo that I could just eat is smaller portions as opposed to making my kiddo Pasta based carbs that makes my hunger worse and is not great for him either or teaching him healthy long term eating habits.

5 hours ago, SteveT74 said:

I haven't read much on Paleo, but I have been essentially following a ketogenic diet since surgery. I am eating less than 20g of net carbs per day, between 90-150g of Protein a day and around 30-40g of fat per day. Following a true Keto diet would require that increase my caloric intake, in the form of good fats, and probably maintain my current Protein intake or even reduce it a bit. As a one month post-op VSG patient, that's not going to work for me--so this is the best I can do at this point in time. Nevertheless, I have been in ketosis for about 2.5 weeks (which is the point of keto, right???). It got me out of my first big stall and I have been on the happy train since. Also, I am probably eating more calories that most VSG patients that are 4 weeks post-op since I am having a great recovery.

Liquids go down like pre-op, so I have been able to hit the gym hard and without any discomfort. I am working out about 2 hours each morning before breakfast (on a fast), which burns 20% more fat than after eating. My workouts have been most moderate to high intensity cardio. I am just starting to add strength training--slowly and gently--into my routine. I had my surgery on 12/17 and I am currently consuming between 750 and 1050 calories per day (most often between 850 and 950). I am eating some foods, like avocado, that are high in good fats (but are also high in calories), along with smoked salmon, eggs etc. I have cut back on protein shakes--trying to get my protein from whole foods. I weigh out all my food on a scale so I can input my food intake into MyFitnessPal app, which I use religiously. I don't trust myself to guestimate (that used to get me into trouble in past diets--like Weight Watchers). MyFitnessPal isn't perfect, but it gives you a very good idea of your caloric and nutrient intake and you can review your macros to make sure you're on track. I do get very hungry at nights--which was a big problem for me pre-op (and appears to remain a problem). I have been drinking apple cider vinegar (2 tablespoons, mixed with 8oz of Water and a little lemon juice and splenda (quarter packet)), which seems to kill the hunger and is supposed reduce insulin sensitivity.

As for results, I am now down 21 pounds since surgery (12/17) and 32 since my pre-op diet (12/3). I have also gained 6.5 pounds of muscle (mostly in my legs from Spin Class)--according to my BIA scale. Although my total numbers lost won't blow anyone away, I was a low BMI patient (had lots of nasty co-morbidities)--so those are impressive for me (I think). I am really thrilled though, since I have gone from wearing a size 42 (which were snug) on 12/3 to a size 36 pant as of today (and they look nice on me!!!). That's 6 pant sized in 6 weeks. This is the thinnest I have been in at least 12 years and I am just getting started. I still have 40 pounds to go, but I honestly feel I can get there for the first time in my life!

Steve, great job. Did I read it correct that you were 42 pre surgery? Are you doing full 60 minute spinning classes?

5 hours ago, Sophie7713 said:

Hi Ms. Stacy! Floridians and surgery twins, Yeah!!! ;] We were in the 40's last night closing all the windows... love this weather with no need for a/c or heat. I am currently trying to work in all the Vitamins required per day. The large disc orange chewables by Celebrate really made me gag and can't seem to tolerate them. We re-ordered capsule form for multi and Calcium, and I'll try again. ;[ A bit overwhelming since I never took even a multi pre-op. Overall, so glad to be rid of all liquids and puree phases. Yuck! Soft food phase apparently very important according to my surgeon to begin to re-train our tiny stomachs to function at digesting again or it get's lazy. Like you, continue to work in Water and Protein. Most days I come up short, but feel I am doing the best I can given all the major changes in such a compact timeline. Congratulations on 20 pounds, Ms. Stacy! Outstanding! I have stalled at 225 but feel I'm shrinking everyday despite the scales. How are you doing with the Vitamin regime?! Happy day! ;]

Sophie don’t worry about the stall. I was told it’s normal. Just keep getting in your Protein and Water. My nutritionist told me I should be sipping from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. Except when 30min before and after a meal. So one of the ladies in my post op support group said she sets her alarm for every 8mins and takes a sip. I’ve been doing that since Monday and it is working. I drink my Premier Protein drink and then I eat high protein food like Greek yogurt, turkey, etc. I was taking the Celebrate Complete 45mg but it made me nauseous and I would vomit within 5mins of taking it. So I talk to my nutritionist and I order the Bariatric Advantage multi Vitamin chew and the chewy Iron 30mg. I chew two a day. I also do the bariatric advantage chewy 500mg Calcium. Works well for me.

5 hours ago, Lolo 2020 said:

Steve why have U jettisoned shakes ? I am convinced that the name of the game is to pack the most Protein in fornthr least calories and the shakes get u there . My pure Protein Shakes are 35g of Protein for only 160 calories . My doc says drink at least one shake a day until ur at goal - I am trying to do 2 and am going to start green smoothies with unflavored protein so I can get veggies together with protein . I am down 30 since preop and 23 since 12/20 surgery .

LoLo how do you like the Pure Protein Drinks? And which flavor? I was on their website the other day and they have several flavors to choose from in the can.

I love both the vanilla and chocolate . I heat the vanilla. In the am and as a Decaf hazelnut coffee and it tastes like a latte . I keep cans in the car in case I can’t get any food that works for me . I also got the chocolate and vanilla powders and blend them with 1/2 banana , Peanut Butter powder and unsweetened vanilla almond milk . Best chunky monkey ice cream ever ! And I drop weight !

On 1/16/2019 at 3:01 PM, Lolo 2020 said:

Steve why have U jettisoned shakes ? I am convinced that the name of the game is to pack the most Protein in fornthr least calories and the shakes get u there . My pure Protein Shakes are 35g of Protein for only 160 calories . My doc says drink at least one shake a day until ur at goal - I am trying to do 2 and am going to start green smoothies with unflavored protein so I can get veggies together with protein . I am down 30 since preop and 23 since 12/20 surgery .

Hey Lolo, I am jettisoning shakes (to a point)! While they are really important for getting your protein in right after surgery (when it hurts to eat anything), they are still processed foods. Most of them are made up of some combination of soy or whey protein, which is ok--but this processed protein triggers a significant insulin response. I am able to meet my protein goals with whole foods as part of my regular intake, so the shakes are no longer necessary for me. That said, I still have my shakes handy. If I am having a day where I might be missing the mark on protein--or right after a workout (if I don't have time to eat), I may have half a premier shake. However, to the extent I can avoid them, I will. I was doing this on instinct, but my surgeon actually recommended that I cut them out at my one month follow up yesterday--so, great minds must think alike. I told him what and how I have been eating and he's totally on board. Apparently, he's been eating Keto for a few years. :)

P.S.--when I say I am jettisoning shakes, I mean the premier shakes and muscle milk stuff etc. If you're doing healthy shakes with kale, etc. in a blender, those are great. I am not having those personally at this point, but not for any particular reason. Maybe I'll go that route in the future.

On 1/16/2019 at 3:05 PM, kjuno said:

Wow that’s great! Yea it seems like the only difference is that we take in more Proteins than fats I’ve been measuring and using Baritastic. The hardest thing is coming home and making food for my son that is so drastically different from what I can eat. So looking for something like keto or paleo that I could just eat is smaller portions as opposed to making my kiddo Pasta based carbs that makes my hunger worse and is not great for him either or teaching him healthy long term eating habits.

It's hard to do a true Keto diet after WLS. If you're doing Keto correctly, you're eating close to 1,500-2,000 calories a day with 60% or more of those calories coming from good fats (hopefully). With that many calories, you can still meat your protein goals. Also, people who are successful on Keto also mix in intermittent fasting, where they will skip breakfast and go 18-20 hours without eating and have maybe 4-6 hour window of opportunity to eat. That won't work for someone with a sleeve (at least within the first few years following surgery). We can't consume that many healthy calories, so we need to make sure we are hitting our protein goals first. We can then consume the rest of our calories in the form of healthy fats. On most day since surgery, my macro will look something like 45-55% protein, 45-55% fat and 10% or less carbs. One month post-op, I am eating between 750-1000 calories per day of protein and good fat foods. Good fats will get your calorie count up, but neither sleeve nor keto require real calorie counting. I just keep track of calories to make sure I am not going off the rails and to set a limit (I don't want too much of a good thing, if ya know what I mean).

I have been doing a little intermittent fasting--but not as long as most Keto adherents. I am usually asleep by 9:30 and I am up somewhere between 4:30 and 5am to hit the gym. I don't eat before my work out (you burn 20% more fat doing cardio in a fasted state in the morning). I may skip breakfast altogether and wait until lunch to eat (or I might have a small high protein snack after my workout, if I am really hungry--which I am usually not). I consume most of my calories between 12pm and 7:30pm. I also make sure to him my Water goals--which is important no matter what diet/lifestyle you follow.

This is as close to Keto as I can safely get at this stage in my recovery. It's working for me. I feel great and blood sugar is great for the first time in years. I am still only 3 weeks into "Keto" or should I say "Bariatric Keto", but it's awesome so far. Since I have been in ketosis (which happens to a lot of WLS patients anyway shortly after surgery), I am losing weight at a very rapid pace (for me). I have loads of energy now. I do feel hunger, but I am satisfied quickly. I enjoy the foods I am eating a LOT. Moreover, the diet I have been following is doctor approved for me. I had my one month follow up yesterday with my surgeon and I went over my diet and workout regimen with him. He cleared me for all activity and had no issues with my diet choices at all. Cutting out processed foods and carbs and eating a high protein,, high fat (good fat) diet melds is like rocket fuel for your VSG in his opinion (with the modifications I described).

20 hours ago, Phillysawdocfan said:

Steve, great job. Did I read it correct that you were 42 pre surgery? Are you doing full 60 minute spinning classes?

I am not sure what you mean? In terms of age, I am 44. I am doing full 60 minute spin classes 5 days a week (with 2 in a row on Wednesdays (5am and 6am classes). I am probably overdoing it, but I feel really good after my classes. I have also just been cleared by doctor for all activity--no restrictions. So, I am going to start weight training again, starting tomorrow morning.

Edited by SteveT74

Interesting approach Steve . I am still having trouble getting my Protein levels from Whole Foods - I just can’t eat enough at one sitting . So I have resorted to the protein drinks to ensure I get them at a low enough calorie levels . But what you say makes sense- although I am going to try doing green smoothies with unflavored Protein Powder , trying to get more healthy greens in my diet . If u don’t mind me asking , how much weight do u lose a week in average ?

16 minutes ago, Lolo 2020 said:

Interesting approach Steve . I am still having trouble getting my Protein levels from Whole Foods - I just can’t eat enough at one sitting . So I have resorted to the Protein Drinks to ensure I get them at a low enough calorie levels . But what you say makes sense- although I am going to try doing green smoothies with unflavored Protein Powder , trying to get more healthy greens in my diet . If u don’t mind me asking , how much weight do u lose a week in average ?

I added a p.s. in my response to you above--but then you posted this. I am all for the green smoothies like the ones Dr. V talks about on YouTube. Also, if you're not able to eat 750 or more calories in real food a day, it would be hard to meet your Protein goals without the shakes (so shake away!). For better or worse, I can definitely eat 800-1000 calories a day at this point and was just cleared for solid foods without restrictions (except for raw veg) at this point.

Since today is my one month surgiversary, it's a good day to answer this question. On 12/17 (surgery day), I weighed 232.5 and this morning I weighed in at 210.2. That's a 22.3 pound loss in exactly one month (or an average 5.5 pounds per week). Of course, I had a one week stall when I hit 222 and another 4 day stall when it hit 214--so it's all bits and spurts. However, during this same time period I also gained 4.5 pounds of lean muscle (according to my BIA scale). :) My body fat percentage has dropped from 28.6% on 12/17 to 23.2% today. and my waist is down six inches!! I went from size 42 dress slacks to size 36 in one month!!!! I actually am wearing a fitted shirt today!!!! I didn't think I would ever wear a fitted shirt again in my life!!! More importantly, I really feel great!!

Outstanding @SteveT74, may YOUR losses continue as well as you have started off📝!👍😛