Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Bypass?

So my fellow Novemberians...to use someone else’s phrase 😉
Do you ever have a day when your just feeling “fat”?
The I don’t even feel comfortable in my skin type of day? Like a stuffed sausage feeling? Maybe I am bloated and maybe it’s just side affect of my flu shot or stress I don’t know. Today I seriously feel stuffed into this casing that is my skin. Putting on clothes today only made it worse I just wanted my baggy nightgown back and to pull the covers over my head to hide the rest of the day.
This is not my usual MO. I’m usually pretty comfortable in my own skin but lately...not so much. Maybe anxiety or anticipation for up coming surgery.
I almost can’t wait to get back on liquid diet and prep for it!

Definitely feel like that most days. For me theres times I feel I still look like I'm pregnant. I've had people give up there seat on the bus/subway thinking I was. Its not a great feeling. I also feel like we all are on a forever diet. Thats why my bypass is scheduled for 11/15 hopefully insurance approves. Though its crazy one week before thanksgiving the biggest eating holiday.

9 hours ago, lisacaron said:

So my fellow Novemberians...to use someone else’s phrase 😉
Do you ever have a day when your just feeling “fat”?
The I don’t even feel comfortable in my skin type of day? Like a stuffed sausage feeling? Maybe I am bloated and maybe it’s just side affect of my flu shot or stress I don’t know. Today I seriously feel stuffed into this casing that is my skin. Putting on clothes today only made it worse I just wanted my baggy nightgown back and to pull the covers over my head to hide the rest of the day.
This is not my usual MO. I’m usually pretty comfortable in my own skin but lately...not so much. Maybe anxiety or anticipation for up coming surgery.
I almost can’t wait to get back on liquid diet and prep for it!

I also feel very comfortable in my own skin *most days.* Actually, since I turned 30 (I'm 36 now), I've become really body positive, and happy with myself, and when I decided to have this surgery, I was really shocked with my own decision. But I started to have more and more of those days that you're describing, when I would go to my closet and reach for the same baggy clothes, because everything else felt like it was sticking to my skin. I have a crammed full closet, but I only wear the same five things. I'm hoping this surgery helps me feel more comfortable in the clothes I want to wear, not just the clothes I have to settle for.

I just moved from a warmer to colder climate and realize I don’t have the proper winter clothes. My surgery is 11/07 so I don’t want to go crazy with shopping, but I need to dress myself until then. I’ve only been on the low carb/low fat diet for one week and have lost six pounds and am beginning to feeling better. I’ve lost and gained up to 40 pounds many times so I’m definitely familiar with the process but this feels different. It feels more permanent.

I went into Dress Barn where it separates the plus from the ‘normal’ size. I stayed on my side and after checkout exited on the ‘normal’ side. I was excited thinking that someday soon I will be able to buy something over here. Haven’t been part of that club in 20 years. I know plenty of people gain weight even with surgery and I could be one of those, but I feel pretty confident that I will get results I’ve never have been able to achieve before.

I have my pre-op appointment on Monday with my surgeon. Never been so excited about a doctor’s appointment! It’s happening.

Edited by Serifa

Does anyone know how to change the sidebar profile? I can’t find where I can change my weight/surgery, etc. I want to switch it from lap band to revision stats.

I just moved from a warmer to colder climate and realize I don’t have the proper winter clothes. My surgery is 11/07 so I don’t want to go crazy with shopping, but I need to dress myself until then. I’ve only been on the low carb/low fat diet for one week and have lost six pounds and am beginning to feeling better. I’ve lost and gained up to 40 pounds many times so I’m definitely familiar with the process but this feels different. It feels more permanent.
I went into Dress Barn where it separates the plus from the ‘normal’ size. I stayed on my side and after checkout exited on the ‘normal’ side. I was excited thinking that someday soon I will be able to buy something over here. Haven’t been part of that club in 20 years. I know plenty of people gain weight even with surgery and I could be one of those, but I feel pretty confident that I will get results I’ve never have been able to achieve before.
I have my pre-op appointment on Monday with my surgeon. Never been so excited about a doctor’s appointment! It’s happening.
I can't wait to wear the cute clothes on the "normal" side too! How's the prep going? Are you having cravings or a difficult time sticking to it? My surgery is 11/13 and I'm more afraid of the prep than the surgery itself!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

10/13/2018 09:07 AM, ExcitedMe said:

I can't wait to wear the cute clothes on the "normal" side too! How's the prep going? Are you having cravings or a difficult time sticking to it? My surgery is 11/13 and I'm more afraid of the prep than the surgery itself!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

The pre-op isn’t bad. My nutritionist and surgeon have me on a low carb/low fat diet for 30 days, then three days before switch to liquid, then surgery day Clear Liquids. I do low carb often, just seem to keep sliding back to adding carbs eventually. I just downloaded this book for my IPad: The Emotional First + Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery.

In finding this book this morning, I’ve discovered so many others and bariatric cookbooks out there. I’m already ‘obsessed’ with my surgery day so I might as well jump in and read as much as I can about it.

I also do not want to tell friends or coworkers that I’m having surgery so I need to lose weight right now to cover my deception. I’m going to try to find a book about dealing with that now!

Any good bariatric book recommendations?

On 10/13/2018 at 6:35 AM, Serifa said:

Does anyone know how to change the sidebar profile? I can’t find where I can change my weight/surgery, etc. I want to switch it from lap band to revision stats.

Go to where your username is and click the little arrow and then click "My Surgery". All the tabs on the left change what's in your little sidebar thingy.

Official start of pre-op diet is tomorrow for my November 1st date! unf. Barely ate anything today, though, either just because of work. Trying to think of what I should have for dinner.

On 10/13/2018 at 6:35 AM, Serifa said:

Hi Serifa, go to the top right to your username, click the down arrow and go to Surgery Info. It looks like you can edit information there.

On 9/30/2018 at 8:18 PM, Serifa said:

I’m scheduled for my surgery November 7th, and it’s starting to feel real. I’m having a lap band to bypass revision and only taking one week off from work (nine days counting the weekend). A little worried about just a week.

Anyone else in November?

YES! Surgery twins (although there are a few of us for November 7th)! I am getting bypass surgery and I got my date a couple of weeks ago but it is really just starting to feel real now... I start my low fat/low carb diet October 24th (2 weeks) and then just have to do 1 day of liquids prior to the surgery. I'm so excited for this change! I'm trying not to look TOO far ahead and just take it one day at a time but I'm going to be honest...I've been looking at clothes and thinking, "I can't wait to be able to wear that and not look like a sausage". LOL

I have the time available at work and I have short term disability available so I have decided (even though I have a desk job as well) that I'm going to take 4 weeks off. It's a long time but it's a good time of the year (right before the holiday rush starts) and I'm looking at this as self care. Not taking care of myself for most of my 34 years is what got me over 300 pounds. I can take 4 weeks off to concentrate on myself (while still juggling homelife of 3 kids and a husband who are all busy). But this way, if I want to nap while kids are in school, I can. If I want to take long walk, I can. I'm hoping this also allows me to start some good habits (like eating every 1-2 hours) before going back to work because my job (as a clinical social worker) isn't great about scheduling "me time".

I, like other posters, have started to get excited about the surgery and actually kind of excited about the prep of surgery. I've for sure been a little lax with eating well lately, thinking to myself, "Well, who knows when I will be able to have (insert food here) again... better enjoy it now!" Been def. doing some food funerals but I'm getting excited about clean eating before the surgery and have been testing out some Protein Shakes after I asked for help getting to know some good brands in a post I had.

We totally got this!! This has been amazing journey thus far (my first date with my surgeon was back in April of this year) and I feel totally committed for this change of life! It sounds silly but there are little things I look forward to- running with my kids, going to amusement parks with them, being comfortable in the movie theatre again... I just can't wait for this new lease on life that I feel like will be such a boost to my self esteem, you know?

We November RNYs have to support each other and keep checking in- especially us 11/7-ers!! Happy New Birthday to us!!!

Edited by JessieGrace319

18 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

Official start of pre-op diet is tomorrow for my November 1st date! unf. Barely ate anything today, though, either just because of work. Trying to think of what I should have for dinner.

Mousecat88 exciting! My op date is November 5th, and pre-op diet for me begins on the 20th I think. I've been doing 80% of the pre-op diet already for the last couple of weeks... greek yogurt for Breakfast, 1 Protein Shake for lunch, another greek yogurt for a work day snack. Then I've been having chicken and veggies or salads for dinner.

I've really enjoyed this process of basically eating what I'll be having for 2 weeks before and after the surgery.

Honestly, its not bad. I haven't weighed myself yet, but this may be the first time I can't wait to see the scale whenever I go to my pre-op appointment this Friday.

1 minute ago, JessieGrace319 said:

It sounds silly but there are little things I look forward to- running with my kids, going to amusement parks with them, being comfortable in the movie theatre again... I just can't wait for this new lease on life that I feel like will be such a boost to my self esteem, you know?

I can't wait to fit on a friggin' roller coaster seat again. And horseback ride (I stopped at 220lbs, poor horsey). And snowboard. And fly on a plane comfortably. And TIE MY SHOES without it being a huge effort. Just the simple things I took for granted a decade ago!

Just now, GTT said:

Mousecat88 exciting! My op date is November 5th, and pre-op diet for me begins on the 20th I think. I've been doing 80% of the pre-op diet already for the last couple of weeks... greek yogurt for Breakfast, 1 Protein Shake for lunch, another greek yogurt for a work day snack. Then I've been having chicken and veggies or salads for dinner.

I've really enjoyed this process of basically eating what I'll be having for 2 weeks before and after the surgery.

Honestly, its not bad. I haven't weighed myself yet, but this may be the first time I can't wait to see the scale whenever I go to my pre-op appointment this Friday.

GTT~

You're in CT, like me! And we're both having op in November!!! What a small world, huh? You're so right- eating well before is so helpful! I've been not so great at it lately but I think I'm going to start earlier than my "date" of 10/24!

1 minute ago, mousecat88 said:

I can't wait to fit on a friggin' roller coaster seat again. And horseback ride (I stopped at 220lbs, poor horsey). And snowboard. And fly on a plane comfortably. And TIE MY SHOES without it being a huge effort. Just the simple things I took for granted a decade ago!

Right? There's a meme online I've seen that reads something like, "I wish I weighed now what I weighed when I thought I was fat"- it's so true! How about shopping in stores and not having to shop online??? I used to LOVE shopping! Now I detest it and truly just buy a lot of elastic waist so I don't have to worry about fitting in them perfectly! I look forward to wearing heels and not having my knees and back hurting from standing on high heels and supporting me!

When I went to my last surgical consult, I said to my surgeon that I couldn't wait (as weird as it sounds) to have the same "is that really me?" feeling I have now when I catch a reflection of myself but having the rest of the thought being, "I look so good!" as opposed to now where I think, "I'm so huge, my head looks so small!"

I can't wait to take pictures with my children...(sigh) I could go on and on. I'm just excited for this new lease on life!!!