Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Part Two Dr. Kirshenbaum

I am a little surprise that we are prefacing our comments with the the chopping block comment. NONE OF THAT HERE ! I sincerely hope we are not the kind of people that reaches for the cleaver.

With that I think I can speak for all that we are here for just what "wantobemeagain said" the support and the information we provide.

I will be attenting the meeting with Dr K daughther today. I am interested in an post op eating plan. I am 2 days shy of 2 weeks surgery and I feel that I can pack it in. Anyone else have any structure diet or any reading suggestions in regards to an eating plan.

Wantobemeagain, your story is so inspirational(besides the fact that you are beautiful). I would like to know how you did after the surgery. If you think the post will be too long private message is ok. By the way if you get any idea on how long the pain should last and why do we have the rock hard egg in our tummies I would like to know

I am just afraid that I am not sure what to do now that Iam 10k short, my band, plus a couple of lovely red gashes and I have no idea what is next. No regrets though!

....I just had a very lengthy talk with my nurse manager (who was out of town last week). She was MORE than interested in my story, very apologetic, and I think she may actually do something about this. ......

Kudos to you!!! By advocating for yourself, you're advocating for the other future bariatric patients at your hospital -- good nursing, like we learned back in nursing school (oh so long ago.....:rolleyes: ) I have a feeling they will make this right in the long run. They really don't have a choice, do they?

Ahh, good nursing, what a novel concept! (She thinks to herself sarcastically while thinking about how her hospital has treated her over the previous week...) Actually, I think that's part of what perked my managers ears up. The competitions bariatric center sent me all their information and included job openings for their ICU in the package....I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh my butt off when I opened the package. Not so subtle!! Not that I'm all that, but critical care nurses aren't that easy to come by in our neck of the woods, so I'm sure that is a consideration for my manager. Not to mention the hospital having to put another nurse through orientation, critical care classes, TNCC, PALS, and ACLS certifications...all things I'm sure they didn't take into consideration before treating me like poo. And let's face it, obviously all they care about is money, so they don't want to shell that kind of dough out if I quit over this!

As far as having to make it right in the end, time will tell. Someone is going to have to step up to the plate and tell the truth and quit covering their a**es. My manager even said that it sounds like someone is lying and covering things up after she viewed my payment contract and the emails I have between myself, the bariatric center, and the director of surgery. I am putting my faith in her right now. Let's cross our fingers.

:) at the "subtle" recruiting techniques. A good ICU nurse is a much sought after commodity in EVERY neck of the woods! Those folks would be crazy to let their investment walk out the door and they know it -- now that a nurse manager is involved, things should start to happen. She's probably not looking forward to the prospect of having to fill your place in her schedule and she knows you could get hired somewhere else today if you chose. This should be a interesting to see how things unfold... :pop2:

Hello everyone!

well, I am Co. Springs and will head to Dr. K's on Friday for my second fill ~ I am excited and nervous! I can tell I need one, but kinda hate that sometimes eating is just a pain (literally!). I will let you know how it goes.

Rosey ~ how did the meeting go??

Munchkin ~ any news on the doc/hospital situation?

Shelbi ~ how have you been?

Nicnaknut ~ got your message~ talk soon!

Purplelady ~ where'd ya go??

everyone...have a great night...be sure and touch base with us here, I love reading the posts!!!

Ok, I have finally had it with my hospital and the surgeon here and have officially given up on them doing my procedure.

But....the good news is I talked to Dr.K for my phone consultation today, and I really, really liked him. So I am set to have my surgery with him on December 5th!! :P

I am flying in that Monday, are you guys meeting at RR Tuesday? I will need some company the night before surgery so I don't have jitters!

I'm really excited and I have to say that I was very impressed with Dr.K. He seems very flexible, understanding, and caring.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful week!

Hello All,

I did go to my meeting on Tuesday and while it was great to hear everyones process and progress there was one person there that monopolized the comversation. This person seem to be asking and looking for the quick and easy way and losing weight fast. I guess what I realized was that while the weight loss is seconday side effect the main focus is the food. How to rethink and treat food.

Munchkin, I am sorry to hear that they are not been open minded nor focusing on their behavior. Dr K is wonderful and his staff is always willing to work with you. Do you know who you are going to get your fills. When I was there on Tuesday they mentioned that the johnson and johnson is making a change on the band. try to figure out which one you are getting so you can tell the physician that will be doing your fills. Please let me know where you are staying i may be able to meet you.

Other than that I am well and waiting for my first fill after Thanksgiving

Want2beme again: I had an appt with the Dr on Friday since it appears I have a hematoma with liquid that will need ot be drained next to my incision and I was hoping to meet you but I had to change it at the last minute. Do let me know when you are getting your next fill I may be able to coordinate them with you.

Munchkin..... You have made the right choice by going to Dr K for your surgery, he is just the kindest most understanding Dr.... everyone in his office are the greatest and all of the people at Crown Point surgery center are top notch... However, I am a little concerned that you are coming by yourself, but hopefully someone here will be able to help you out.... I will be gone to Arizona or I would volunteer to help you out....

Rosey..... I sounds like the meeting on Tuesday was a good one..... It's too bad that one person was so inconsiderate of all the others and monopolized the conversation.... Keep your fingers crossed that they won't show up next month....

Hope everyone has a good weekend.....

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is doing well and ready for the weekend ~ I know I am!

Munchkin -- Ditto what Nicnacnut said ( Hi Nic! :wave:). If I weren't 2 time zone's away, I'd check on you myself.

Rosey -- I hate when there's one person:blah: who hogs all the talk time in a support meeting. Makes me want to :boxing:. I used to work with a support program for pregnant teens. We had this koosh ball at every meeting. We had a rule in group time that only the person who was holding the ball could talk. And when she finished her point she had to toss it to someone else. It usually turned out if someone wanted to hog the talk time, the other girls wouldn't pass the ball back. It always worked out and nobody hurt each other :). It also served as a way to bring someone out of her shell somewhat too in a non-threatening way. I hope this makes sense. Maybe it's a kind of "had to be there" thing. I dunno. Anyway, maybe you share your feelings with the group leader before the next meeting? Sorry to hear about your hematoma, too!

Bobbie - it was great to see you!

hey munchkin...did you ever ask Natalie if she could get a hold of someone else who has surgery that day? She could ask them if they wouldn't mind if you emailed them. At least, there would be someone at the hotel to look out for you. Let me know how it is going with that~!

How's everyone else doing?

Shelbiecallie?

Purplelady?

Rosey?

Had my second fill on Friday. Did pretty good that night. We went to a company dinner, and I had salmon with hollandaise. Took little bites, and ate very little, with no close calls. BUT, have tried bites THREE times since last night, and have failed to get it down...Twice I did the empty the slime run (PB just sounds ridiculous to me...I wish it were only a burp!!)..the other time, I was miserable. So, I am switching to yogurt. I so don't understand why I was fine with the salmon last night and not since. But, I had two Protein bars today, and did well...wierdness with this little band!

Hope to hear from you guys...it's much too quiet ~~!:biggrin1:

Hey Want2b -- good to see you! Does Dr. K require dietary restrictions for the first 24-48 hours after a fill? (liquid, soft, whatever?)

I can't wait to get to the place where I am not constantly thinking about FOOD! I am maintaining right now, but I want to get to the place where this tool does what it is supposed to. Sorry, peeps, but I'm just feeling frustrated today. Not just band issues, but that's what I blaming today. What do you guys eat in a typical day? Are you shooting for a certain calorie range? A certain carb range? A certain amount -- like 1 cup per meal? My ultimate goal is that I eat 3 healthy, small meals a day of about a total cup of food. Is that realistic? I am so far away from that today, it seems.....

Sorry for the rant, I am so hormonal today!

On a more positive note, I've exercised for 4 consecutive days! I think that this is a first for me. :)

Everyone stay weel and have a wonderful week!

Hello Ladies,

I hope all is well. I am reading your posts and I am little scare about when I get my first fill. I have to tell you this past 2 weeks have been nothing but trial an error in regards to eating slowly, chewing food careful and hopefully nothing gets stuck as I am sure you know the pain involved. I get the hic ups even if I eat mushy food or if I drink Water too fast. I swear my ribs feel like they are about to explode so I am not sure how I am going to do with the actually fill. I am also venting today but I am ok. In regards to calorie range I want to discuss with Paula but I have heard that about 1 cup is what you should go for. How amny calories can fit in a cup as long as it is not triple brownie ice cream sunday. I will be seeing Dr K today for that goose egg next to my incision will see what he has to say. LAdies know that you are my inspiration, please be well

I am having my surgery with Dr. Kirshenbaum on Dec. 13, 2007 and would love to hear some feedback. I have a very high BMI of 62.2 and I am worried about being too big for him to safely band. Has anyone on this board been over 60 BMI and had Dr. Kirshenbaum as your surgeon?

Hi Missmona~ welcome!

I am so glad that you are having Dr. K as your surgeon! He is a very caring soul, as well as an excellent surgeon...I was guessing at your weight, and understand if you don't want to share it (you will see real quick that this is the most understanding, mixed with humor that only we large people get, place to be!!). Anyway, I saw him Friday for my second fill, and was asking him how large of people he is comfortable banding. I am betting the number he told me is more than your weight. I can tell he is not a man that would jeopardize anyone for the sake of doing another surgery. Because he is both brilliant, and caring, you couldn't be in better hands. If he felt that you weren't a candidate, he wouldn't have scheduled.

That said, it is in your (and everyone here) best interest to follow the preop diet, and even start sooner than he said (I did). The more you can lose, and the more you can shrink your liver, the better you will do in surgery and after. I am so excited for you! When you respect your band, you will be so motivated and tickled at how the pounds fall off...it really is an uplifting experience. CONGRATULATIONS!! Please post and tell us more about you and your story that led you to Dr. K...oh, where are you from?

Drews~ glad to see another Dr. K groupie here! I swear...Dr. K is such a humble soul, he would probably be almost mortified if he knew he had such cheerleaders!! And, just think, we will all either now, or some day, even fit into cheerleader outfits!!:cheer2:

You have been a Dr. K patient longer than the rest of us. What is your story on what led you to him for your surgery? How did you know about lap band then? Oh...do tell us about you!! And, tell us how you got into roller derby!!

Hi Shelbi and Rosey!!

ahhhhh...the fills! Do I call it the necessary evil, or the creme de la creme of the band??? Hmmmm, cant decide!;)

Dr. K doesn't talk about any restrictions, other than at my first fill, when I asked him, he told me to just take it easy. He didn't want me to chow on a steak right away. I haven't shot for a certain calorie range, I haven't measured either. I am still losing, but slower than before. I am sure that calories and measuring would be helpful, and I may get there, but not yet. The band is already such a reminder of this life change, and I was sick and tired of weight watchers, I just haven't been able to get myself to measure and weigh food.

You know, the consequences of a fill are really, mainly a pain in the a**. I sweartogawd, it is a flippin shock collar, a VERY PHYSICAL REMINDER that we need to slow down, eat less, and get disciplined. Yeah, the pb's hurt, yep, I get sick of not being able to chow down, and when I do chow, I pay for it:puke: . Some moments, it really pisses me off. But, this is what I need to get healthy. I asked for it, paid for it, and got it, and I hope I have it forever...Since my first "I think I am dying" pb...I have learned to handle it better before it gets so bad.

Gosh, girls...as usual, I could write a book. Bottom line is that you have nothing to be afraid of with your fill. When you get filled, it needs to be enough restriction to make a difference, but not too much so that you're miserable. Rosey, when again was your surgery? I was really restricted my first 10-14 days, but from then till a month out, I felt like I could eat a horse.

Shelbi...I have cut down rice and bread to almost nothing. I have Pasta and potatoes occasionally. I try really hard to stay away from those. I am hoping to learn to stop eating when I am no longer hungry (not stuffed!), to choose more Protein than carbs, etc. Like I said, I can't stand weighing everything that goes into my mouth. I am sure I will hit a plateau and have to, but I hope not!! When was your fill??

Ok, better stop..you are all going to get so sick of my book writing!

(((hugs)))