Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Family eating your food!

I don't know how y'all do it! Hats off to u!!! Me=notworthy

My stress level would be crazy and I would be a snarky mess!

2 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I don't know how y'all do it! Hats off to u!!! Me=notworthy

My stress level would be crazy and I would be a snarky mess!

I am! ;)

I can only imagine that this would be very frustrating. I live alone don't/won't have this problem.

This is me sharing how I'm lucky in my housemate, which isn't going to make anyone who is frustrated feel better, probably. Feel free to skip. ❤️

My spouse isn't into the sugar substitutes, so "my" stuff is safe. He will also--I say this having done Ideal Protein (meat and low-carb veggies), Weight Watchers (low carb, low saturated fat), and Paleo-but-with-beans, but not having done purees for a month or more--generally eat whatever I cook. This week (liquid pre-op diet) has been a little hard. I nearly had to leave the room when he had an apple this afternoon. But we've got lots of foods I won't eat anymore for him to work through, and he is apparently perfectly happy to make himself a bowl of Pasta and pour undoctored (uggghhhh) spaghetti sauce on it for dinner. Or to add frozen fruit to some yogurt and granola. So.

I'm hoping that, once I'm back off of liquids, maybe he'll be OK with eating the ricotta bake on pasta, or with refried Beans in a whole grain wrap--stuff to bulk up my meals and make them more like "normal" food, and also to let us eat together. I know he's happy with eggs/omelettes for dinner, so that's an easy one. He is not a super picky eater, and on the occasions when I make something he doesn't like (like a tuna salad or something with too much zucchini) he is capable of taking care of himself.

He's not perfect--I married a human, after all--but he's good and supportive, and I appreciate him.

I am sorry this is happening for you. I experience this with one of my kids. My surgeon’s dietary guidelines has me on a liquid diet for 6 weeks after surgery (3 down 3 to go). My 13 year old got to where he was drinking my Protein Shakes at night. He was in major trouble and I am lucky my husband is supportive in that respect. I do have to cook different for the family especially right now. Apart from having a major discussion on why you want to save your prepped meals and how his actions are making you feel with your significant other, I am not sure what you could do. Again I am sorry and know that this would be very frustrating. Hopefully it will get better.

This is way hard! And extremely frustrating! I live with 4 other adults and 2 “kids” 14 and 4. My milk is Silk Protein nut milk, which it cost $3.49 a half gallon, where as Almond milk is $2.59 and reg. 2% is under $2. I have very limited income ($300/ mo) and fs under $200 a month. I have been hiding the choc and van flavors in my fridge in my “room” and put only the reg in there. They don’t touch that! (Haha) or my coconut oil spread (butter substitute) I do shop for the whole house, with a “budgeted amount” they give me for their food. I buy us the same yogurt, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese. Funny that flavors I “hate” show up on my shelf. So someone is swapping out flavors because I hate peach and strawberry banana. But somehow they get traded out. If you don’t like them, don’t switch them out. Especially with something you know I can’t stand and literally the smell makes me sick. (Peach) and my dairy free and low sugar ice cream. There are literally 10 half gallons of ice cream in the house (no I am not joking) and would prefer to take my $5 a pint halo top. I just don’t understand people, and don’t think I ever will. To me it’s respect. My shelf is clearly marked and so is my shelf on the door. But it doesn’t stop them, especially when my fridge is downstairs, and my room is upstairs

Dudes, I'm glad I live lone during the week and have to deal with a husband on weekends only. :lol:

me: "I'm going to the store - do you want me to buy anything special you want to eat? If so, please put it on "Bring!" so I don't forget."

him: "No no, nothing special, just buy what you usually buy. It's fine."

(after he arrives at my place on Saturday)

him: "Did you buy [whatever food] by any chance?"

me: "No, I asked if you wanted anything in particular and you said no." :rolleyes:

---

A typical variation goes like this:

me: "I'm going to buy [whatever costly perishable food he also loves but is inconsistent in wanting it] - do I need to buy enough for you and me or not? Because you know if I buy enough for both of us and you don't want any of it like the last time I have to through the rest out in the end."

him: "Nah, I don't want any. Just buy enough for yourself."

me: "Ok... Are you sure? Like - really sure you don't want some?"

him: "Yes, yes."

(after he arrives at my place the next day)

him: "Oh, let me have some of this! It looks really good!"

me: *explodes* :blink:

2 hours ago, summerset said:

Dudes, I'm glad I live lone during the week and have to deal with a husband on weekends only. :lol:

me: "I'm going to the store - do you want me to buy anything special you want to eat? If so, please put it on "Bring!" so I don't forget."

him: "No no, nothing special, just buy what you usually buy. It's fine."

(after he arrives at my place on Saturday)

him: "Did you buy [whatever food] by any chance?"

me: "No, I asked if you wanted anything in particular and you said no." :rolleyes:

---

A typical variation goes like this:

me: "I'm going to buy [whatever costly perishable food he also loves but is inconsistent in wanting it] - do I need to buy enough for you and me or not? Because you know if I buy enough for both of us and you don't want any of it like the last time I have to through the rest out in the end."

him: "Nah, I don't want any. Just buy enough for yourself."

me: "Ok... Are you sure? Like - really sure you don't want some?"

him: "Yes, yes."

(after he arrives at my place the next day)

him: "Oh, let me have some of this! It looks really good!"

me: *explodes* :blink:

It does irk me when himself says, "Nah, I'm not hungry. I don't want anything...and I make my meal. And invariably he will eat a huge serving. I cook the same food.

So I've just gotten where I don't even ask. I just make enough for the both of us. Either way, I win. No stress. Meals done. Boom baby. If he doesn't want anything then I have extras for later and I get to hit the "EASY" button for that day. :)

Men...can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em.

24 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

So I've just gotten where I don't even ask. I just make enough for the both of us. Either way, I win. No stress. Meals done. Boom baby. If he doesn't want anything then I have extras for later and I get to hit the "EASY" button for that day.

When it's about non-perishable food items (or something that freezes well) I buy/make enough for us both as well. Learnt that lesson a looooooooong time ago. :lol:

17 minutes ago, summerset said:

When it's about non-perishable food items (or something that freezes well) I buy/make enough for us both as well. Learnt that lesson a looooooooong time ago. :lol:

OMG! IKR????!!!! bahahahahaha! :lol::lol::lol:

We ate mostly healthy food before I had the surgery, so we both eat the same stuff now - only I'm eating tiny portions.

The biggest change I've made to my diet has been cutting out wine and a couple of chocolate bars a week. (I think I had a wine belly!) I don't buy any radically different food and I'm still losing about 4 lbs a week, so I don't feel the need to have any food in the fridge that's just for me.

But if I did have specific 'me' food in the fridge and he habitually ate it, I think I might accidentally cut all the toes out of his socks. ;)

Just now, Frustr8 said:

While HE is still wearing them?👞

Phase 1 - while he's not wearing them.

If Phase 1 doesn't work, progress to -

Phase 2 - while he is. :D

Love seeing your cat, has an American cousin named Squeaky living at my house. Like your thinking, since many of us the " Colonies" have UK roots if you search long enough. We,do think like distant cousins. Have a lovely Day!

19 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

Love seeing your cat, has an American cousin named Squeaky living at my house. Like your thinking, since many of us the " Colonies" have UK roots if you search long enough. We,do think like distant cousins. Have a lovely Day!

Mrs Woo is sadly an ex-cat: she has gone to meet her maker. :( But she was a peachy little fur baby who had the power to make me instantly happy - as does the memory of her! :)