Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you eat popcorn, and does your doctor approve?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you eat popcorn, and does your doctor approve?

• You eat popcorn and your doctor approves .
    • You eat popcorn and your doctor DOES NOT approve.
    • You DO NOT eat popcorn, but your doctor approves.
    • You DO NOT eat popcorn and your doctor DOES NOT approve.
    • Other (please explain)

My doctor thinks that popcorn is the root of most digestive problems including diaticulitis (spelling) and irritable bowel syndrome. my family and i are big popcorn eaters, and we usually all 3 share a bag at least 2 or 3 times a week. My doctor does not want me eating popcorn due the above reasons, but not my band. I was wondering if you eat popcorn and whether or not your doctor said you were able.

Boy, you must eat a LOT of popcorn in America for a doctor to hold this opinion - I mean surely white bread is the root of all evil, lol?

Seriously, how much popcorn would you have to eat to say its a leading cause of bowel disease?

I eat it occasionally, I've never been a "every time I go to the movies I MUST have popcorn" person, but sometimes I do. And sometimes we airpop some popcorn at home, once in a blue moon.

Popcorn just isnt that popular here that many people would eat it more than a couple of times a year.

popcorn was brought up at the last support group meeting I attended. The doctors (both surgeons) said it is a good thing to eat if you're craving something crunchy. As usual though, make sure you chew well. If you have the 94% fat free type it's low calorie too. I tried it a few days after the meeting and it went down without any issues.

Sue

Okay -- I love popcorn, but have gone months and months at a time without eating it and never saw a change in my IBS.

I don't know my LB surgeon's opinion -- it's never come up -- nor has it with my GP. But I have been to the movies once and had some -- the small bag lasted 3/4 of the way through the movie and I even shared some -- where as a LARGE used to be gone by the time the previews and opening credits were done! LOL

And we went through several boxes of Act II Popcorn Balls for Halloween. They're pre-packaged into 100 calorie balls and just sweet enough to feel like you've had a treat.

I've never been a "every time I go to the movies I MUST have popcorn" person, but sometimes I do.

Oh, but "I" do!

Honestly, if I have a choice between just going to the movies and having popcorn OR going out for a nice dinner before, but no popcorn at the theatre -- I will pass up most anything.....steak, lobster, Mexican, Italian.

The popcorn is at least HALF the reason for buying a ticket and going to a theater. Otherwise, just rent a DVD and stay home!

Pam<---only goes maybe 5 or 6 times a year.

I have eatten it - but makes my weight go up due to salt - and/or carmel topping.

I just bought Orville Redenbocker (sp) microwave popcorn that is 100 calories per bag. I have never been a huge fan of popcorn, but I have been craving crunchy/salty Snacks. I bought some kernels white cheddar topping to sprinkle on it, and it is really satisfying the craving.

Obviously popcorn is not a nutritious good for you type of food, but I can't imagine a little bit now and then could hurt.

We're so backward here downunder, lol.

I mean, I just buy a bag of popping corn and air pop it. Just au natural. We do have microwave popcorn, of course, but that's full of salt, preservatives, flavours, fat. Popcorn is quite a health snack if you dont drown it in salt, fat, preservatives and flavourings.

My doc allows her patients to eat it, but I prefer not to. I mean, if I'm around someone who is eating it, I might steal a few pieces (if it's the very buttery kind), but I don't make it for myself. Whenever I eat it, I invariably get bits and pieces stuck in my gums, so it's more of a pain (literally!) than it's worth, IMO. But then again, I've never been much of a snacker, to be honest. I'd much prefer to go eat a really good meal (nice steak, veggies, etc.) than waste (IMO, of course) my calories on a snack. I've always heard (from Weight Watchers, nutritionists, doctors, etc.), though, that if you are going to snack, popcorn is a good choice, as long as you choose the low fat/sodium/calorie kind.

I had some fresh kettle corn this weekend. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. First time since banding I've had any popcorn. It just doesn't do that much for me generally speaking (but fresh kettle corn makes me a happy girl).

I rarely eat popcorn. My teeth are close together and I hate getting anything stuck between them. Hence I cut corn off the cob, pull meat off the bone, etc. Plus unless it's kettle corn, popcorn just doesn't appeal to me that much. I don't like greasy foods.

Never thought to ask my band doc about it, and don't remember it being on the no-no list.

Had some last night - 100 calorie snack bag - I eat it maybe once a month..

I don't eat popcorn because

1. I don't like it, and

2. I have diverticulosis.

Not really relevant to the lap-band issue, but I think it can be harmful to your intestines.

I should add that the popcorn was not the cause of my diverticulosis (since I don't like it and I never really ate it), but I'm supposed to avoid it, along with seeds and nuts (the more likely cause of my intestine issue).

After reading about the guy who died from cancer caused by microwave popcorn, it sounds even less appealing to me...