Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2018 Sleevers!?!?

Congrats!! I'm a slow loser, compared to a lot of people's post-op losses. BUT, like you, I started losing weigh earlier this year and had lost a lot before surgery. I'm slowly moving in the right direction and I've decided I'm okay with that! I was getting frustrated at first because I wasn't losing as fast as I thought I should. But I've come to accept that there are a lot of reasons why losing slowly isn't so bad!
I am a slow loser too and it is so frustrating sometimes [emoji30][emoji20]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

Just now, dreamingofasleeve said:

I am a slow loser too and it is so frustrating sometimes

I understand! I was getting REALLY frustrated with it and I talked to my primary care physician and she told me to quit stressing. She told me to stop weighing every day and go to once a week, twice at most. She reminded me that sometimes we're losing inches when the scale is stuck. For me, I just finally decided I wasn't going to let this get the best of me. I didn't get fat overnight and to think I'd get healthy again overnight was just crazy. Consistently eating right and exercising is what's going to work, no matter how fast or slow. I've finally gotten okay with that!

I understand! I was getting REALLY frustrated with it and I talked to my primary care physician and she told me to quit stressing. She told me to stop weighing every day and go to once a week, twice at most. She reminded me that sometimes we're losing inches when the scale is stuck. For me, I just finally decided I wasn't going to let this get the best of me. I didn't get fat overnight and to think I'd get healthy again overnight was just crazy. Consistently eating right and exercising is what's going to work, no matter how fast or slow. I've finally gotten okay with that!
That is so true!
That is a good mindset to have!
I stopped weighing everyday. But I got on the scale this week and didn't have a loss which was a real bummer. But I was on my period 🤷 I'm wondering if that is why [emoji20]

ok time for another update since i hit a milestone at just over 2 months out i officially weight in at 299 this morning that is 52 since surgery and 94 since June i feel fantastic i have been going to the gym 4 days a week 3 days of weight training for about 50 min then 20 min cardio session and 1 day of of cardio and or met cons for 40 to 50 min....i have been eating around 900 to 1100 calories my macro are usually 80 to 110 good carbs 40 to 50 fats and as much Protein as i can lol ends up around 150g+ on days i don't go to the gym I lower that calorie mark down to around 800 and lower carbs to about 70... so everything is going great but i think i only want to lose about 20 more pounds or so but only being 3 months out makes me think i will not be able to eat enough to build muscle and that is my next goal so that will be a conversation with my dietitian next month.. but thats my update my surgery was November 6th

Great loss Steve, congratulations, you've done hard work to get there!

Hi all, at my 6 week checkup on Friday, I had lost 43 lbs total and 22 since surgery. I’m free to add all food to my diet and to work up to 1/2 cup food at my 3 meals per day (half Protein, half vegetables, including raw veggies!). I can have nuts too! I’ve had a tough time with ready made Protein Shakes, but I made a Protein Shake at home with spinach, banana, Fage yogurt, blueberries and vanilla Protein Powder and it was quite good. It is so good to feel almost normal :).

Yall i am feeling like a complete failure,

I have only lost 1 pound in the last 2 weeks... I am so scared i am going to fail at this too.

:( the mental journey of this is so hard. I am trying not to base all my success on the scale but its so hard. still wearing the same clothes and just not seeing a difference.

17 hours ago, dreamingofasleeve said:

I have only lost 1 pound in the last 2 weeks... I am so scared i am going to fail at this too.

:( the mental journey of this is so hard. I am trying not to base all my success on the scale but its so hard. still wearing the same clothes and just not seeing a difference.

Don't let it get in your head! I've been losing slower than a lot of people too. I've had as long as 16 days go by before the scale budged. I'm eating right (as confirmed by my nutritionist), I track everything I eat and drink, and I'm exercising. We all lose weight at different paces. I encourage you to take pictures. What I've found is that because I see myself every single day, I don't notice any changes. But when I look at pictures, I can't deny the changes. You say you're wearing the same clothes but do they fit differently? Maybe looser in some areas than before? I KNOW what a mental curveball it can be to be doing the right thing and not seeing the results you want. BUT what I will tell you is that consistency works. Just keep doing what you're supposed to do, no matter what you're seeing on the scale. I recommend only weighing once a week. That is what my PCP told me when I expressed frustration during one of my long stalls. It has helped me tremendously. Now, having said all of that, I would just confirm that you're doing what you should be (meeting Protein, calorie, Water goals, etc.), if you haven't already done that. But it's entirely possible to be doing all of that and still get stuck. But it WILL start moving again if you keep it up.

19 hours ago, dreamingofasleeve said:

You are right the mental journey of this is so hard, it can be amazing, confusing, and overwhelming if you get to wrapped up in it, it does sound like you are in a stall, and the stalls always make us feel like we are going to fail, it is a lot of mental work to trust the process and follow through with our actions, but it does work. I think for a time I was convinced I was a slow loser... But it just takes getting over the hump so to speak. Most of us are in our 2nd month, our bodies are changing so much in a short amount of time, and it can be so easy for us to feel like it is not working. The truth is our bodies are healing and doing what they need to, our bodies fat cells have been so used to us filling them up with fat that now they are still waiting for us to continue that and we are not so it holds onto Water and it takes our bodies time to release that. Hang in there, take a look at your intake where are you at Proteins, carbs and fats, overall calorie count per day and see if anything needs to be adjusted? Exercise? do you log daily? if you need help we are here! But really hang in there!

8 minutes ago, paddyski said:

You are right the mental journey of this is so hard, it can be amazing, confusing, and overwhelming if you get to wrapped up in it, it does sound like you are in a stall, and the stalls always make us feel like we are going to fail, it is a lot of mental work to trust the process and follow through with our actions, but it does work. I think for a time I was convinced I was a slow loser... But it just takes getting over the hump so to speak. Most of us are in our 2nd month, our bodies are changing so much in a short amount of time, and it can be so easy for us to feel like it is not working. The truth is our bodies are healing and doing what they need to, our bodies fat cells have been so used to us filling them up with fat that now they are still waiting for us to continue that and we are not so it holds onto Water and it takes our bodies time to release that. Hang in there, take a look at your intake where are you at Proteins, carbs and fats, overall calorie count per day and see if anything needs to be adjusted? Exercise? do you log daily? if you need help we are here! But really hang in there!

The mental battle is so hard! I am struggling a little bit! My dietitian hasn't been very helpful so i am trying to figure it out on my own. i do log daily! I log everything i eat!

I average on a good day about 900 calories. I am wondering if im not getting enough but i am not sure. Yesterday i got very busy with work and only managed about 500. I try to get as much in as possible but when i get busy its hard! Been taking all my Vitamins and hitting 60g of Protein a day.

What guidelines does your dietitian set?

These last couple days i have been getting a little bit dizzy, today i am upping my Water intake and really pushing to get more. It seems like maybe i am not getting enough in. i always get at least 56 oz of water and then usually a Protein Shake and a low sodium V8 on top of that (for the potassium). iam going to try and get 3 bottles in today that will be 84 oz of just water!

we will see if pushing more water helps!

14 minutes ago, dreamingofasleeve said:

The mental battle is so hard! I am struggling a little bit! My dietitian hasn't been very helpful so i am trying to figure it out on my own. i do log daily! I log everything i eat!

I average on a good day about 900 calories. I am wondering if im not getting enough but i am not sure. Yesterday i got very busy with work and only managed about 500. I try to get as much in as possible but when i get busy its hard! Been taking all my Vitamins and hitting 60g of Protein a day.

What guidelines does your dietitian set?

These last couple days i have been getting a little bit dizzy, today i am upping my Water intake and really pushing to get more. It seems like maybe i am not getting enough in. i always get at least 56 oz of Water and then usually a Protein Shake and a low sodium V8 on top of that (for the potassium). iam going to try and get 3 bottles in today that will be 84 oz of just water!

we will see if pushing more water helps!

900 calories is great they tell us to always aim for 800 to 1000 calories and try to get between 60 and 70 grams of Protein, also try to get in 64 ounces of water daily, that being said there are days where I don't make that either. are your restrictions off texture wise like can you eat foods with out making them softer now? It sounds like you are doing great with Protein and intake, when I stalled I found that increasing my carbs and fats helped? Odd I know, but I would have a slice of cheese, and some carrots, or broccoli just a little bit helped to move that a little bit. My dr and Dietician said it was time to get off the shakes, liquid calories that won't consistently be beneficial? I was shocked and scared, but coming off them with in two weeks I noticed improvement, I was able to get more protein in from foods that were healthy, and more veg which I thing is helpful, I am FINALLY starting to go to the bathroom on a more normalized schedule and I can get all of my water intake complete. The shakes constipated me, now I know you have a different plan than me and your dr. may have different recs for you so I would always try to follow them. more water should help, good luck!

26 minutes ago, paddyski said:

900 calories is great they tell us to always aim for 800 to 1000 calories and try to get between 60 and 70 grams of Protein, also try to get in 64 ounces of Water daily, that being said there are days where I don't make that either. are your restrictions off texture wise like can you eat foods with out making them softer now? It sounds like you are doing great with Protein and intake, when I stalled I found that increasing my carbs and fats helped? Odd I know, but I would have a slice of cheese, and some carrots, or broccoli just a little bit helped to move that a little bit. My dr and Dietician said it was time to get off the shakes, liquid calories that won't consistently be beneficial? I was shocked and scared, but coming off them with in two weeks I noticed improvement, I was able to get more protein in from foods that were healthy, and more veg which I thing is helpful, I am FINALLY starting to go to the bathroom on a more normalized schedule and I can get all of my water intake complete. The shakes constipated me, now I know you have a different plan than me and your dr. may have different recs for you so I would always try to follow them. more water should help, good luck!

yeah that is what i was thinking too i try to push for 1000 but usually end up 8-900 which i am ok with but i just seem to be stuck so maybe i need more.

I will definitely try some new things and i will talk to my doctor! I have hear a lot of people start to loose again once they quit the shakes. Interesting i am not sure if i can get enough protein without them. Some days i do really well and some days i dont! It varies for sure!

I have been trying to push more veggies because they are important and bathroom issues are real. I wonder if the shakes are making me constipated as well. I miss using the bathroom like a normal person that is for sure.

I have been able to eat basically everything i havent tried a lot of raw veggies but i have had lettuce and lightly cooked bell pepper those both seemed fine. My sleeve likes everything except for eggs. those seem to give me that stuck feeling! i love broccoli and have started eating it again! I am trying to get more fiber/ healthy carbs in! hopefully that will help!

Just trying to keep pushing through i know i am only 2 months and i hope my body will adjust soon :)

Cant play the comparison game that one is killing my joy.

Thank you all for the information on stalls as I have been stalled for over two weeks and wondering what am I doing wrong. From the post I can see this is normal. My clothes are definitely fitting different and getting loose so we are definitely heading in the right direction. Now I am just waiting for the 6 week mark when I am allowed to increase exercise and exert more. I am sure this will make a big difference.

Thank you all for the information on stalls as I have been stalled for over two weeks and wondering what am I doing wrong. From the post I can see this is normal. My clothes are definitely fitting different and getting loose so we are definitely heading in the right direction. Now I am just waiting for the 6 week mark when I am allowed to increase exercise and exert more. I am sure this will make a big difference.
I had to start working out daily or the scale won't move.
Once I was cleared I started and the scale hasn't been as mean!