Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Diabetes affect weight loss?

Hey everyone! To those of you who had Diabetes prior to Gastric Sleeve, did you feel that it made you lose less weight than you expected? I have been hearing some things that patients with prior Diabetes end up loosing less weight after they get the procedure. But sometimes I feel like physicians will differ in what they say, but it's better to hear from actual patients. I currently have diabetes right now, my HbA1c is horrible, near 12. Hoping this gastric sleeve, with diet/exercise and using it as a tool can help reverse it. :( any advice please.

Thanks

Hi...I had surgery on 8/29/18, I am diabetic as well, I am actually losing weight rather quickly 10 lbs in the first 7 days, 21 lbs down since surgery and my A1C was bad also, almost 10, since surgery I have come off all meds and my blood sugars are between 100-120, my endocrinologist took me off the meds. As I lose more weight and exercise my numbers should get even better.

I don’t eat many carbs but berries and such a small amount, I choose less carbs because I want to have good control of my blood sugars.

I wish you the best!

9 minutes ago, wanda247 said:

Hi...I had surgery on 8/29/18, I am diabetic as well, I am actually losing weight rather quickly 10 lbs in the first 7 days, 21 lbs down since surgery and my A1C was bad also, almost 10, since surgery I have come off all meds and my blood sugars are between 100-120, my endocrinologist took me off the meds. As I lose more weight and exercise my numbers should get even better.

I don’t eat many carbs but berries and such a small amount, I choose less carbs because I want to have good control of my blood sugars.

I wish you the best!

That is amazing Wanda! I wish you all the best, do you know what your current A1c is now? Please keep me posted :) Also if not too personal, can I know what meds you were on? I'm on Lantus, Bydureon and Metformin.

Thank you! Yes when the endocrinologist gave my medication orders to my doctor for after surgery “no meds” I was thinking this is too good to be true...it’s true. I was on metforman and victoza and I was naseous every single day for almost a year, it wasn’t a good quality of life for me and that’s my main reason for having surgery. I haven’t went for blood work since surgery, I go in another month and I can’t wait to see what my A1C will be. I do monitor my blood sugars at home so far so good

Hi there. Don’t know the answer about whether a Diabetic loses weight slower or not. I am Type 2. Had my surgery 08/23/18. My numbers went crazy prior and after my gastric sleeve, up to 13! They had to give me insulin. They said it could have been stress on my body. Including prop I have lost about 28 lbs. Just got my A1C checked and it’s 6.8. Doc is leaving me on 500mg Metformin and will reassess in 3 months and see where my A1C is. You’ve done the right thing and it WILL improve. Remember although we may not have to take medication we will always have the label of being Diabetic. You must reveal this for any travel insurance.

I had surgery the same day as you. I’ve lost 20 pounds since surgery so you have motivated me to ketch up 1 more pond to go. We are rocking it.

@clsumrall lol...yes we are rocking it!!

Hi there!

I'm still pre-op, I'm scheduled for this November. I was really hoping to have good results with my type 2 diabetes post-op, but at my consult the surgeon warned me that sometimes the longer you have been diabetic, the lower the chance of being able to stop all meds. I'm on Metformin, Lantus, and Novolog with meals. I have been diabetic for about 8-9 years, but only on the insulin for about 3. I have already lost over 40 lbs on my pre-op diet plan and my Novolog use has been greatly reduced due to the limited carbs. My A1c went from 7.2 to 5.7 in three months, Even if I still have to take the Metformin, I'd REALLY love to get off the injections. Fingers crossed, and good luck to everyone else!