Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nov 5. Surgery Date - w/ last minute switch to RNY

Hello All - I just received my surgery date Thursday - set for November 5th. I am truly excited and looking forward to it. Up until this week, I had been planning to have the VSG; however, after reviewing all of the test/lab results - my doctor suggested the RNY. It appears that it will help me lose more weight - which I am at 360 now - and get rid of the co-morbidities that I suffer from (high blood pressure and Type 2 Diabetes). I have research the VSG extensively, but now find myself having to switch what I know to the RNY. Does anyone have information that they would like to share - Do's and Don'ts - Suggestions - FYIs, etc. I would appreciate any and all assistance.

Also, I was told by the nutritionist that I wouldn't be able to drink coffee or tea after the surgery. I was prepared to drink Decaf coffee & tea - but didn't realize I would have to give it up fully. Is there anyone else who has had the RNY who still drinks decaf coffee and/or tea?

Thanks to all.

Wait........no one told me about the coffee thing. I have a least one cup of black coffee daily. I don't add anything because I hate tracking. My surgery is scheduled for Wednesday so I better start asking more questions!

Not sure if it is surgeon recommendation or a requirement. They told me that the coffee and tea contained tannins which can decrease absorption of Iron - which is a concern - because the malabsorption already caused by the surgery. If you Dr. Says something different, please let me know!

My sister-in-law had RNY about 10 years ago and she pretty much after the healing process went back to consuming anything she wanted to including coffee and tea but in smaller quantities. Of course there is the whole dumping syndrome that happens with RNY patients when they consume sugars and fats because the duodenum is reattached further down the intestine preventing the pancreas and gallbladder from breaking those things down efficiently. So basically the only thing that will cause us (I'm getting RNY as well) problems long term it sounds like will be foods that become sugar like white bread, refined sugars like what's used in doughnuts and certain types of fats.

Great - thanks Ed! Good luck on your surgery!!

Thanks, good luck to you too!

Good luck to both you guys! ARCarnes. I will ask my doc when I get to hospital Wednesday morning. Inquiring minds wanna know. Coffee's my friend😍

Mine too - and “Hot Tea” just isn’t the same for me! Good luck!!

I had rny 6 months ago. Decaf was fine for me, but it tasted horrible to me (I’m sure this was a mental thing) after about a month or so when everything was healed up, I went back to regular. I have one fried that is 10 years out, one that is 5, and one that is a year and none have had any issues from “real” coffee

So i had my RNY on 8/28. Met with my nutritionist yesterday and was told tea was fine just watch the sugar. I started drinking Snapple diet peach with only 5 calories. I feel fine. Never been a tea drinker but it taste yummy lol. I think every dr makes up their own rules. You’ll learn what’s best for your body as you go along. Your stomach won’t be shy to let you know! Good luck with everything!

Thanks jldoublee and Auroragirl4489...! Much appreciated!

My doctor told me that caffeine will impact the healing process of the pouch and that is why I when from a 10 cup a day habit to Decaf same thing to 1small 8 ounce cup for the two week fast. I plan to stay on decaf.

The tannins in tea, lucky me, cause Migraine headaches that are so bad that I am gutter crawling, commode hugging sick. And because of that I have not had tea either hot or iced in over 10 years

Thanks for the info. iattcom! I am hoping that I can handle the Decaf coffee once all is said and done!

I did my switch from regular to Decaf over a 3 month period by adding one bag of decaf into my regular coffee at a time until my coffee holder was all decaf