Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre surgery, we used to go out to eat multiple times each week. Las Vegas is full of so much good food. Now that I can eat solid food again, just not much of it, I'm trying to figure out how we can still enjoy dinners out on the town and still eat within my calorie range. So far, we've had pretty good luck with sushi. I usually get sushimi and I only eat a little of it.

I'm thinking Mexican might be okay if I order fajitas. Steakhouses, I could share steak or have leftovers.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I know exactly how you feel as I live in Vegas! But this is the way I looked at it. I made a lifestyle change by having surgery. Part of making healthy changes for me is giving up going out to eat. Yes, there's healthy choices rating out but its a slippery slope. And post op, very easy to push it a little and eat beyond the half cup or cup of food you should be eating. I will go to a restaurant for a special event or for business meeting ect but for the most part, try my hardest to stay away from eating out. Eating out is one of the reasons I am overweight to begin with. Even on vacation I have chose to go to the grocery store and buy yogurt, fruits, veggies ect.

Pre surgery, we used to go out to eat multiple times each week. Las Vegas is full of so much good food. Now that I can eat solid food again, just not much of it, I'm trying to figure out how we can still enjoy dinners out on the town and still eat within my calorie range. So far, we've had pretty good luck with sushi. I usually get sushimi and I only eat a little of it.
I'm thinking Mexican might be okay if I order fajitas. Steakhouses, I could share steak or have leftovers.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Vegasurvivor said:

I know exactly how you feel as I live in Vegas! But this is the way I looked at it. I made a lifestyle change by having surgery. Part of making healthy changes for me is giving up going out to eat. Yes, there's healthy choices rating out but its a slippery slope. And post op, very easy to push it a little and eat beyond the half cup or cup of food you should be eating. I will go to a restaurant for a special event or for business meeting ect but for the most part, try my hardest to stay away from eating out. Eating out is one of the reasons I am overweight to begin with. Even on vacation I have chose to go to the grocery store and buy yogurt, fruits, veggies ect.

That's great advice for new post-ops. But you can't give up your life cuz you had surgery. You do have to find some balance. And yes, eating in is wayyyy better IMHO than going out. But when you go out, you DO have to hopefully acquire new habits. It's a learning process that I'm still in, so I can't speak as an authority on this! LOL.

I did take my measuring cups into restaurants, especially in the early days! And I'd immediatly ask for a box to go and put the remaining portion away. I would also transfer my portion to a bread plate so it looked like more and had the server to take my other plate away. I didn't care if I looked dumb, it was more important to eat and not stress.

Now I use my palm as 3 ounces, my thumb as 1oz, my index and middle as 2 ounces, my fist as a cup. I'm sure I'm off, but if I overserve myself, my tummy does tell--even though I would probably be eating more than weighing and measuring here at home on my scale and in the cups.

I'm not "giving up my life". Its all part of my life style chsnge . like I said , eating out is big part of my weight gain over the years. So why go back to it.

That's great advice for new post-ops. But you can't give up your life cuz you had surgery. You do have to find some balance. And yes, eating in is wayyyy better IMHO than going out. But when you go out, you DO have to hopefully acquire new habits. It's a learning process that I'm still in, so I can't speak as an authority on this! LOL.
I did take my measuring cups into restaurants, especially in the early days! And I'd immediatly ask for a box to go and put the remaining portion away. I would also transfer my portion to a bread plate so it looked like more and had the server to take my other plate away. I didn't care if I looked dumb, it was more important to eat and not stress.
Now I use my palm as 3 ounces, my thumb as 1oz, my index and middle as 2 ounces, my fist as a cup. I'm sure I'm off, but if I overserve myself, my tummy does tell--even though I would probably be eating more than weighing and measuring here at home on my scale and in the cups.

So shortly after surgery, we went out to eat as a family once I was able to eat solid foods. I ordered either a Soup or an appetizer as my meal. Two years out, I still often just eat an appetizer as my meal. For example, one of my favorite restaurants does great broiled crab cakes. The appetizer portion is one 4 ounce crab cake. The entree portion is 2 crab cakes. I just order the appetizer and ask that I have it brought as my entree. As time goes by, you will be able to judge sizes better, but the most important thing is to eat slowly. WHen you feel full, stop and just enjoy the conversation at the table and take the rest home. I get 2-3 meals out of most restaurants these days from one "entree" portion.

4 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

This is great advice. And, for me, eating out is part of what we do. Where we go and how much and what I eat is a whole new ballgame now. I have been consistently weighing everything at home and logging all my food including entering recipes so I will know the calories and macros. It's for sure harder when you go out but I can at least get close. Bottom line is I can't each much in a sitting regardless of being out at a restaurant or at home. I'm fine with a to go box :)

Don’t forget, you absolutely can make healthy choices eating out as well. Fish, steak, chicken, veggies, salads, sushi, all kinds of healthy items are available in a city like Vegas, and prepared deliciously as well. I like Seafood myself, it is very easy to eat healthy with seafood if you stay away from fried preparations.

I have also ordered appetizers as my entree since my surgery.

I don’t eat out a lot, but it is possible to be mindful and request your food be prepared in a healthy way.

Listen to @Diana_in_Philly!!! She's had such amazing success and is now an Olympic athlete!!! This to me is the greatest balance in life. Does that mean you eat out 3 times a week? Nope. Not at all. But do you avoid it and become a shut-in--only cooking at home? No forkin way! You had this surgery in order to reCLAIM your life, not limit it and lose it!!!! LOL.

So we go out to dinner usually about 1 time a week. And when I do, I ALWAYS check the menu first, figure out what I'm going to eat, figure the macros and cals in MFP and plan that meal first. Then I plan the rest of my day around it.

We do typically go to the same neighborhood restaurants because we like the food, know people there, and know what to expect. It makes my life easier and no brainer. If I don't order off the appetizer menu--love the shrimp pomodoro and either sauteed broccoli or spinach, I will order the "Add On" grilled chicken breast or grilled shrimp. It's about 3oz of Protein for $2.50 or $4.50 respectively. Then Mr. F and I share a capreses salad of which I have 1 slice tomato/1 slice mozza/1 basil leaf/ 1/2tbsp capers / 1/2oz roasted red peppers / 1/2tsp balsamic reduction and I'll have a couple of bites of his sauteed veggies. That's dinner for me. And I still usually bring home leftovers.

I will always eat from his salad plate and veggie side without ordering my own. And I will look for add-ons, or appetizer sizes, or childrens sizes of Proteins. Like the kind where you can add "4 extra shrimp" to any entree for $4.99. Or "add a 3oz lobster tail to your steak" for $7.99. That way Mr. F. gets what he wants, I may have a bite of his protein too if my add on isn't enough...and split like I said. That cuts down on my leftovers tremendously, lets me enjoy a date with Mr. F. and allows me to be out in a public setting enjoying friends without stressing about food, leftovers, etc.

If I order an entree it has to be pretty special. LOL> Cuz I will eat it for at least 3 meals. I generally don't want anything bad enough to splurge for 3 meals in a row. Something like that would usually be pretty decadent, high fat, high cal and it's not worth my time when it boils down to it.

Edited by FluffyChix

Listen to [mention=291533]Diana_in_Philly[/mention]!!! She's had such amazing success and is now an Olympic athlete!!! This to me is the greatest balance in life. Does that mean you eat out 3 times a week? Nope. Not at all. But do you avoid it and become a shut-in--only cooking at home? No forkin way! You had this surgery in order to reCLAIM your life, not limit it and lose it!!!! LOL.
So we go out to dinner usually about 1 time a week. And when I do, I ALWAYS check the menu first, figure out what I'm going to eat, figure the macros and cals in MFP and plan that meal first. Then I plan the rest of my day around it.
We do typically go to the same neighborhood restaurants because we like the food, know people there, and know what to expect. It makes my life easier and no brainer. If I don't order off the appetizer menu--love the shrimp pomodoro and either sauteed broccoli or spinach, I will order the "Add On" grilled chicken breast or grilled shrimp. It's about 3oz of Protein for $2.50 or $4.50 respectively. Then Mr. F and I share a capreses salad of which I have 1 slice tomato/1 slice mozza/1 basil leaf/ 1/2tbsp capers / 1/2oz roasted red peppers / 1/2tsp balsamic reduction and I'll have a couple of bites of his sauteed veggies. That's dinner for me. And I still usually bring home leftovers.
I will always eat from his salad plate and veggie side without ordering my own. And I will look for add-ons, or appetizer sizes, or childrens sizes of Proteins. Like the kind where you can add "4 extra shrimp" to any entree for $4.99. Or "add a 3oz lobster tail to your steak" for $7.99. That way Mr. F. gets what he wants, I may have a bite of his Protein too if my add on isn't enough...and split like I said. That cuts down on my leftovers tremendously, lets me enjoy a date with Mr. F. and allows me to be out in a public setting enjoying friends without stressing about food, leftovers, etc.
If I order an entree it has to be pretty special. LOL> Cuz I will eat it for at least 3 meals. I generally don't want anything bad enough to splurge for 3 meals in a row. Something like that would usually be pretty decadent, high fat, high cal and it's not worth my time when it boils down to it.
Everything posted is great suggestions. I've done them all of well when eating out. you say..listen to Philly, she's an Olympic athlete..there's a lot of exercise that goes into that equation of calories in and calories burned by an althlete.

My whole point was for right after surgery, it might be wise to stay away from eating out. That might be what got you in trouble in the first place. I feel I've had this surgery, my relationship with food changes. Its not about what restaurant I can go to or what I can find on the menu that I should be able to eat. It appears to be healthy. Not going out to eat, doesn't mean you turn into a shut in ect. It means you find other things to do to be with friends and family. And if you do go out then of course order an apperizer, child portion ect. All common sense.

I'll stick with what my surgeon and nutrionist have told.
I'm out. No more posts from me.

I don’t bother going out to eat, it’s expensive and has Way too many calories. There are much better ways I’d like to spend my time and money. Maybe some day, but right now I’m only nine weeks out and I’m
Making myself a priority

On 9/22/2018 at 12:12 PM, Vegasurvivor said:

Everything posted is great suggestions. I've done them all of well when eating out. you say..listen to Philly, she's an Olympic athlete..there's a lot of exercise that goes into that equation of calories in and calories burned by an althlete.

FYI - while I may be nationally ranked in my age group in my sport - I also have a resting metabolic rate of 1100 cal per day to avoid weight gain (had the study done a few weeks ago - my resting heart rate is generally about 45). I generally do not eat what I burn, but do work out to burn about 800-2000 calories a day - So on those days I boost my Protein and carb consumption usually with supplemental shakes pre or post workout.

However, on Saturday, I did fence a tournament and burned about 3000 calories. I had takeout chinese for dinner that night - but ordered shrimp with broccoli and ate 4 shrimp and a bunch of broccoli over about 1/4 cup of brown rice.

Certainly whether to eat out or not is up to you. I eat out at least one a week. I've learned to manage - it has taken time. Best wishes to you.

Always enjoy eating out a couple of nights a week. Usually either Mexican (chicken/shrimp fajitas with no tortillas and borracho beans) or a favorite place that has a more burger/sandwich theme (chicken tenders grilled with sliced avocado, Tomato and borracho beans). I enjoy the social aspect and often there is live music. I always take a small cooler in the car and bring home leftovers which usually mean 2-3 more meals. I avoid obvious disasters like sweet potato or regular fries, onion rings, nachos, etc and have a limit of 4 chips with salsa per meal if at a Mexican place. Since I do not eat gluten I have already avoided stuff like bread, tortillas, breaded things etc. for years and there is no issue there.

This may not be relevant for photogirl, since her question was specifically about restaurants, but we've wandered into "you can do other things to spend time socially" territory, and I just want to bring up my new favorite "meet friends and hang out" alternative: coffee shops! And tea shops, too, of course, if you have them. Sharing a beverage with someone is as good as sharing a meal, I find.

Las Vegas! Love that place. My husband and I go each year and are looking for plenty to do that will take the place of some of the fabulous meals we’ve had in the past. My husband had vsg about 5 years ago and there is that slippery slope when you allow yourself a little more of this or some of that and before you know it you’ve regained some of the weight. He lost 100 lbs initially and regained 50 over the years by letting bad habits creep back in.

I am one of those people whom have gone from cooking almost all my meals pre-op to eating almost all my meals out post-op.

i have no desire nor time to cook anymore because I am literally loving my best life with traveling and doing more things outside and being active.

I tend to make the best choice when eating out and most of the time my husband and I share an entree or I end up getting Soup or an appetizer. If it’s fast food, I generally order chicken or salads. For me it’s just easier. Am I tempted by things like dessert, bread and drinks, sure but I am so use to not getting those things now.

You just have to learn a different style of eating. It’s hard to plug things into MyFitnessPal but I sometimes carry my scale with me when I am out eating and sometimes eyeball things.