Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet Soda at 9 months post op?

Hello guys, so I’m 9 months post op down 80lbs. This past week temptation won and i had my first diet soda of the year. My doctor said that the “stretching of your stomach” due to soda had notruth behind it, and it’s more of a bad habit that can lead back down to obesity. My question is, who, if anyone, has started back on drinking Diet Coke and how far along our? Has it created negative impact in your weight loss? Had it led down to other negative eating habits?

The issue with diet soda seems to be the artificial sweeteners trick your body into thinking you are eating something sweet, but you are not, and this can make you crave something that is sweet.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-care-news/articles/2018-04-23/study-artificial-sweeteners-linked-to-diabetes-obesity

The chemicals in soda also leach Calcium from your bones which is horrible for women, and especially anyone that has had weight loss surgery.

There are a lot of reasons to give up diet soda. I drank Diet Coke for years, over 25! I hope to stay quit of the stuff for good!

I live on coffee and diet root beer. If there is enough carbonation in a beverage to cause belching or even mild discomfort I would avoid it. I have not had a problem with diet sodas and I am several years post surgery. I am also constantly losing weight--even this far out. So long as your doctor is fine with the beverage, I would also be comfortable... but I would avoid gulping it down to avoid problems with internal gas pressure. But the doctor's rule.

I have one glass of Sprite zero each night. I am 5 months out and my doc said there is no issue with it, as long as it doesn't cause discomfort. It also doesn't stretch the sleeve. It all comes down to how you react to it. For me, it is like a bedtime snack. It doesn't cause me to eat sugar, but if it does for you, you will have to decide whether to keep drinking it.

By the way, my surgeon believes that people who limit everything and eat a super restricted diet are at risk for both eating disorders or eventually gaining a lot of weight back. He said they will either become afraid to eat, or limit themselves for so long, that when they do introduce certain foods back in, they go react really badly to it. His medical opinion is that moderation is key for long term success. This is why my "diet" may be more lax than others you may see on this board.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I have diet root beer occasionally and it makes me burp. I mean REALLY burp. I was a Coke Zero freak before surgery and it tastes like pure Syrup to me now. Barq's diet root beer gives me the fizz that I crave but that doesn't happen very often. A six pack would probably last me a year. Haha!